Oscar the TJ gets a CUMMINS - Page 10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Oscar the TJ gets a CUMMINS

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 08-16-2012, 11:54 PM   #136
10-3-TJ

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Cycleguy04

The picture with the mount and bolt length was taken with the bolt being held with only a couple threads. It wasnt holding anything but itself.

The actual mount will be approximately 1 inch lower. Although jeff daniels recommends mounting the mounts towards the top of the bolt to help absorb vibrations.

"Look no further than yourself, for all of the good and all of the evil that exist in this world, resides in the heart of man and his propensity to use it".
10-3-TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2012, 12:10 AM   #137
10-3-TJ

1998 TJ Wrangler 

GADUCKER

The pictures truly dont do the actual mounts justice. They are beefy, although your concern has made me consider putting triangle piece of steel in the front and back of the frame side mounts.

Tonight i was able to get the mounts tacked in and the engine test fitted. I couldnt be happier with how they turned out. Tomorrow i plan on finish welding the mounts and then start on the clutch.

Now if i could turn this damn t.v. off. Hatfiels and McCoys are on the history channel.

"Look no further than yourself, for all of the good and all of the evil that exist in this world, resides in the heart of man and his propensity to use it".
Unread 08-17-2012, 12:12 AM   #138
10-3-TJ

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Cumminsyj88

Thanks man.. I am getting very excited about getting this thing in and running.

Unread 08-17-2012, 01:05 AM   #139
cycleguy04

You have good taste. That's an awesome show!

Sent from the far reaches of space.

[COLOR="White"]'91 Ranger XLT 2WD - 4.0 V6, A4"hell"D, contemplating twin turbo 5.3[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]'79 C10 Big Ten 2WD - 350, TH350, contemplating rebuilding to 355ci with supercharger and programmable EFI[/COLOR]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]'12 Subaru Forester (AKA: Arctic Cat) - 2.5, non-CVT, wife's, still begging her to let me get an exhaust system[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Blue"]'01 SV650 - snorkelectomy, ebay slip-on, cam swap and re-jet in the near future [/COLOR][/FONT]
cycleguy04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2012, 09:04 PM   #140
Cowboyup94
2001 WJ 

The 4BT looks made to fit!! haha Keep us up to date!
Unread 08-18-2012, 08:46 AM   #141
cummins5552
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Are you using a hydroboost for the brakes?
cummins5552 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2012, 05:25 PM   #142
10-3-TJ

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Okay guys. I made some more progress on the jeep. I have my engine mounts all welded up. I know a guy who works with the local natural gas company. He welds the steel pipes together that are under ground . He suggested that i make three passes of welds. First. Pass down the middle and the second and third down each side of the first weld.

It worked out nicely. My welds are nothing to write home about but u am sure they are plentu strong .

forumrunner_20120819_181809.jpg

forumrunner_20120819_181822.jpg

After i did the welds i moved onto the clutch. After cleaning the flywheel i test fitted the clutch. Well the darn clutch tool needed to be turned down on the end in order to securely fit into the flywheel centering hole. So after doing that the tool fit right in and the clutch went went on pretty simple .

forumrunner_20120819_182303.jpg

Now to the throw out bearing. I am bot really sure about how this goes. Gonna have to start reading.. hopefully engine will be bolted in for good tonight.

Unread 08-20-2012, 08:01 AM   #143
trailnYJ

What kind of clutch did you go with?

95 YJ 2.5 4 banger with 4"rancho lift on top of 33x12.5/15
trailnYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2012, 03:07 PM   #144
cplacke
2005 TJ Wrangler 

cplacke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2012, 12:29 AM   #145
SabaII
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Maybe this was covered but I cannot remember cause I read this thread in three seprate sittings but what coils are you going to go with up front? Are you going to have to have some made or are there some that fit that will take the extra weight? Or are you going to make something fit?

Also I really love this build. I am a diesel guy. I am sad I don't dd one. Someday though, maybe I can use this as a guide! Keep up the good work and the updates!
SabaII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2012, 02:00 PM   #146
garretj64
1982 CJ5 

Very Cool!
Unread 08-21-2012, 04:01 PM   #147
cycleguy04

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabaII View Post
Maybe this was covered but I cannot remember cause I read this thread in three seprate sittings but what coils are you going to go with up front? Are you going to have to have some made or are there some that fit that will take the extra weight? Or are you going to make something fit?

Also I really love this build. I am a diesel guy. I am sad I don't dd one. Someday though, maybe I can use this as a guide! Keep up the good work and the updates!
Didn't Jeep sell a diesel liberty?

[COLOR="White"]'91 Ranger XLT 2WD - 4.0 V6, A4"hell"D, contemplating twin turbo 5.3[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]'79 C10 Big Ten 2WD - 350, TH350, contemplating rebuilding to 355ci with supercharger and programmable EFI[/COLOR]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]'12 Subaru Forester (AKA: Arctic Cat) - 2.5, non-CVT, wife's, still begging her to let me get an exhaust system[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Blue"]'01 SV650 - snorkelectomy, ebay slip-on, cam swap and re-jet in the near future [/COLOR][/FONT]
cycleguy04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2012, 04:52 PM   #148
lajanxjeep

Subbed. Awesome thread and thank you for documenting this
lajanxjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2012, 06:02 PM   #149
10-3-TJ

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Okay guys i have gotten a lot done since the last post. First off lets answer some questions..

The clutch is a centerforce heavy duty ford clutch. The throw out bearing that i was concerned with is completely fine.

I am sticking with my rough country coils right now. Actually the jeep sits no lower now with the engine in as it did before. I may buy a set or 4 inch springs and a long arm down the road. I have a feeling that my up travel may be limited because of the motor mounts. Absolutely nothing i can do about that now until i drive it and see what happens.

Now with the updates.

I got the engine all bolted up with the clutch installed.

forumrunner_20120822_185444.jpg

As you can see in the picture i had my intake mocked up. I am using a 3 inch mild steel pipe with a 180 bend. I am going to use a Spectre inline airbox which will draw truly cold air from inside the cowling. I then plan on running a cowl scoop.

Unread 08-22-2012, 06:10 PM   #150
10-3-TJ

1998 TJ Wrangler 

With the intake mocked up i decided to mount the a c condensor. Well the ac mount caused major interference between the compressor and intake pipe.

So we decided to space the ac mount out 1 3/4 inches to eliminate the interference. The ac mount mounts to the water neck on the thermostat housing with three bolts. Well while tightening the bolts the rear and ear on the housing split and broke off. AWESOME. The following pictures are our fix. I used two pieces of 1/8plate welded together. Drilled and tapped for the bolts to screw into. Then drilled the housing holes out larger.

forumrunner_20120822_190820.jpg

forumrunner_20120822_190843.jpg

forumrunner_20120822_190859.jpg

forumrunner_20120822_190915.jpg

forumrunner_20120822_190931.jpg

forumrunner_20120822_190946.jpg

As you can see i have plenty room now for my intake pipe.

Tags
4bt , cummins , tj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.