Orange LJ Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Orange LJ Build

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 07-05-2013, 11:58 PM   #1
00TJ4L
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Orange LJ Build

Well, I'm gathering parts for my LJ build. I am still overseas for a few more weeks, but I have a growing pile of parts waiting on me. When I get home, I'll have about three weeks to turn wrench and get this thing "done" before I drive cross-country to Moab. So I thought now was a good time to get this started, because I won't have a whole lot of time when I get home. Also, if anyone has built something similar, and sees something that I'm missing, ie parts being incompatible or something I'm not accounting for, please speak up.

Here is what I'm working with. It's my second Jeep, and I bought it last fall. 2005 LJ, Impact Orange, 42RLE, soft top, and completely stock except for a Banks exhaust system that the previous owner installed. 28k miles when I bought it.

What I'll be installing when I get home:

-15x8 Pro-comp aluminum wheels
-33x12.50R15 tires (most likely Falken Wild Peaks, but not completely sure yet-opinions welcome)
-2.5" OME Suspension Lift
-JKS Track Bars, front and rear
-Savvy Adjustable Aluminum Control Arms (all 8)
-Currie Anti-Rock
-4.88 gears for D30 and D44. Lock-right up front, Grizzly in the rear
-Atlas II, 4.3 gears, 32 spl outputs, and appropriate speedo gear
-JKS 1.25" BL
-Brown Dog 1" MML
-Savvy Front and Rear Bumpers
-Savvy Rockers
-T&T Customs Hi-clearance Aluminum Belly Pan and Oil Pan Skid
-Autometer Trans Temp Gauge
-PSC Trans Cooler
-Griffin Radiator (I've had heat issues in the past with my TJ--trying to be proactive about this)
-A to Z Fab Hood Louver Panel
-CB Radio, unsure of brand/model
-Will obviously need some new driveshafts

I'm trying to build this thing to be very light and street-friendly, but off-road capable. As much as I hate to admit it, this thing will be on pavement 90% of the time, so comfort and MPG definitely matter.

So what am I overlooking? Criticism is welcome.

Thanks.

00TJ4L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2013, 12:04 AM   #2
LeeMasterGT
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I don't see a ton of people running the T&T tummy tuck. I'm curious what pushed you in that direction. This will be fun to watch for sure! Which trails in moab do you plan?
Unread 07-06-2013, 12:13 AM   #3
00TJ4L
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeMasterGT View Post
I don't see a ton of people running the T&T tummy tuck. I'm curious what pushed you in that direction. This will be fun to watch for sure! Which trails in moab do you plan?
I considered going the Savvy route, but it's perpetually out of stock, plus I don't know that it works with an Atlas. I'm sure I could make it work, but not sure it would be worth the effort. I also considered UCF. Too many people having fitment issues lately. I considered Rokmen, but to the best of my knowledge, they don't make an aluminum version. T&T seems to have a solid reputation, especially among the XJ crowd. So I decided to give it a shot. We'll see how it goes.

I'll be in Moab for about 5 days, with about 4 days on the trails. It's looking like Hells Revenge (my lady hasn't ever driven off pavement, so this will be a good intro), Behind the Rocks, Moab Rim, and Pritchett Canyon. We'll also try to squeeze Kane Creek Canyon in--it's one of my favorites.

It's also possible that we'll hit a trail or two in the Montrose/Grand Junction area on the way out. It'll likely be something easy, but with great scenery. We'll be alone, and I don't like running difficult trails without other vehicles around. Possibly the Alpine Loop.
Unread 07-06-2013, 07:12 AM   #4
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Sounds like a good built ahead of you. I have an 05 orange LJ too.

Jeep-Owners.com
LouisianaOffroad.com
dayriesw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2013, 11:14 AM   #5
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Thats a heck of a parts pile to come home to , should make for some good pics here As to Moab I tend to take first timers to Fins and Things . Its a lot of fun , but not as tall as Hells Revenge . From the sounds of it you have been there , just throwing out a suggestion .
Unread 07-06-2013, 11:16 AM   #6
IEcrawlerTJ01
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Why the need for the atlas?

Nuff said...[/CENTER]
IEcrawlerTJ01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2013, 11:47 AM   #7
00TJ4L
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw View Post
Sounds like a good built ahead of you. I have an 05 orange LJ too.
I noticed that. I've been lurking here for a while. Yours is a darn good looking Jeep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Thats a heck of a parts pile to come home to , should make for some good pics here As to Moab I tend to take first timers to Fins and Things . Its a lot of fun , but not as tall as Hells Revenge . From the sounds of it you have been there , just throwing out a suggestion .
I've been a few times, but I've never run Fins and Things. I'll throw the suggestion out there, and see what the other guys think. I don't think they have run it either. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEcrawlerTJ01 View Post
Why the need for the atlas?
Good question. With the suspension lift and raising the drivetrain, I figured I'd need to do an SYE, and I would like more gear than the stock NP231. At some point a few years down the road, I'll likely go through another build phase, new axles, 37s, and probably long arms. So I don't want to throw money at the NP231. Plus I've had buddies destroy NP231s, just driving down the road. I realize that sometimes they work wonderfully for years for people, but I've also seen them break. Plus, I've always just wanted an Atlas. Hopefully it is the last time I'll buy a transfer case.
Unread 08-09-2013, 08:55 AM   #8
00TJ4L
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Well, I'm home and I've gotten started. The first thing I did was to take some measurements. Before I started I was at 17in to the rear bumper, 18in to the front bumper, 19.25in to the rockers, and 10.5in to the skid, with stock bumpers and skids. Here is my weight ticket.

So far I've done the body lift, motor mount lift, wheels/tires, front bumper, AntiRock, and most of the suspension. Still have a few odds and ends to finish up on the suspension, but here she is at ride height.

I've started working on the Atlas.

I would like to say that assembling the cable shifters has been very much like a puzzle. Not so much a "read the directions" deal, more of a "figure it out." I even called Advance Adapters with some questions on the directions, and they said "that part was probably written badly." I realize that if you don't have decent mechanical skills, you shouldn't be installing an Atlas, and I figured it out, but for what you pay for an Atlas, the directions should be flawless.

I'll try to take more pictures, and keep this updated.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.