Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Operation YJ Willys edition

5K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  Audi-Guy 
#1 · (Edited)
Well, I'm a month or so into my restoration / build, so here's the start of my build thread. Sorry, it might be a bit boring in the beginning.....3 kids, wife, long hours on the job lead to a slaw pace for any build. BUT....I do like to take pics :thumbsup:

Needed- 5/09/10
-rear seat brackets
-windshield removed / sandblasted / painted
-front and rear reusable diff. gaskets from quadratec
-durango steering box
-front seat cover
-rear 3 point seatbelts
-valve cover gasket
-seafoam

Basically, I want a Willys Edition Themed YJ....so at some point I'm hoping someone can point me in the direction of where to buy the badging from the TJ's Willys EditionAnyway, I bought this 94 4cyl for $1200....very minimal rust, mostly around the widnshield frame :thumbdown:
Day 1

http://i5.tinypic.com/4bxv53p.jpg

See less See more
#2 ·
The first thing I did was remove some of the exterior pieces and prep and paint them
before

after
i like Rustoleum Hammered. I've used on some Olympic weights in my workout room and it seems to hold up great and I like the finish

This is pretty much how my top came....in a pile of crap....lol

I took the grill off completely and prepped it and painted it as well with the Hammered and then did the front portion with Rustoleum bed liner in a spray can.....it came out well and I'm hapy with the results.

#3 ·
I traded for some stock sized wheels (mainly because of the cost of replacing the monsters that came with it and I wanted better MPG's as this is meant to be a daily driver at some point)

#4 ·
I have this CB anteanna that I don't need and need to trade for something else, wonder what this thing is worth...the PO said that he had just put it on...looks brand new. Any idea of it's value?

#5 ·
As I'm painting each wheel, I'm taking the brakes apart and cleaning them. I've taken the calipers apart and greased the moving parts with brake grease so the calipers move freely.
Then I painted the reachable areas with some spray paint. POR 15 is going to be a next Spring thing....it's lasted 16 years without it...it can wait one more

#15 ·
Thanks, thats great. I like that LOST darma Jeep sticker too, I might have to add one of those.

All I did yesterday was to switch out my alternator that siezed up (randomly after giving no warning signs) with one from a salvage yard for $35 out of a 98 cherokee.

On a side note, I had never loosened the belt tension on mine before, and the Haynes manual was of NO USE!! Which I'm finding is the case more than not when using that book. :confused:

#16 · (Edited)
All of the wheels are finally painted black (Rusto's Hammered) and put back on. I also got the top out and put it on for the first time since I bought the Jeep. I actually thought it was going to be missing pieces, but it's all there, not the best top, but it will do till I can get a hard top.
Lots of bird crap here!

washed with the top on

I also found a decals package on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JEEP...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20acc2c655

#19 ·
Finally got a couple of things to add.
I found a spare tire in the junkyard out of a Cherokee with a brand new tire. I painted the rim and the spare tire carrier, however when I put the carrier back on, one of the nuts broke off inside the tailgate and it now free spins :mad: So, I'm going to have to dremel that when I get ready to paint the entire Jeep.
I also added the black hood catches I got off ebay.

new spare

got some seatbelts out of a Grand Cherokee......not sure if I'm going to be able to get them to work or not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.