Operation Blackout YJ - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Operation Blackout YJ

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 01-17-2013, 10:54 AM   #46
bigdhamYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

The boat sides look like they're coming along nice. Looks like you've got much more rust repair to tackle than me, but your got a good looking rig man! I have to tackle my floor pans as well, right now it looks like I'll be using a flux machine haha. Keep up the good work!

bigdhamYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2013, 04:22 PM   #47
hokusi
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdhamYJ View Post
The boat sides look like they're coming along nice. Looks like you've got much more rust repair to tackle than me, but your got a good looking rig man! I have to tackle my floor pans as well, right now it looks like I'll be using a flux machine haha. Keep up the good work!
Thanks . When do you plan on doing your floors? Are they bad?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/operation-blackout-yj-1410573/
hokusi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2013, 04:29 PM   #48
hokusi
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Finished the drivers side today. Fit some patch pieces in to the final rust areas, welded the whole thing up inside and out and grinded the outside down. Feel like it never ends, but kinda nice to know i have one side done atleast! Will just have to mount the boatside gaurds and drill mounting holes.

Unread 01-20-2013, 11:15 PM   #49
CKjeeps
1987 J-Series Truck 

Builds looking good.

Mind telling us what the dimensions were on your boat sides?

Do you still have your old tail gate? I'm in need of some pieces. PM me if you want.
CKjeeps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2013, 12:51 PM   #50
hokusi
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKjeeps
Builds looking good.

Mind telling us what the dimensions were on your boat sides?

Do you still have your old tail gate? I'm in need of some pieces. PM me if you want.
I still have a little bit of trimming to do on the rockers and can give more accurate dimensions when I am done but if you just want general sizes and angles I can give you those get those for you.

I do have the old tailgate still. What did you need?

Unread 01-22-2013, 12:30 PM   #51
bigdhamYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

There's no telling when I'm going to be doing my floors man! My transmission and components are giving me a fit so basically whenever I can get around to it! They're not too bad, but if I didn't have the patch panels in I could Flinstone it.
Unread 01-22-2013, 08:11 PM   #52
hokusi
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdhamYJ View Post
There's no telling when I'm going to be doing my floors man! My transmission and components are giving me a fit so basically whenever I can get around to it! They're not too bad, but if I didn't have the patch panels in I could Flinstone it.
GoGo Flinstone mobile

Unread 01-23-2013, 08:59 AM   #53
bigdhamYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokusi View Post
GoGo Flinstone mobile
Pretty much! Now that my transmission is trying to take a crap on me the floor pans shall be postponed again!
Unread 01-23-2013, 09:21 AM   #54
CKjeeps
1987 J-Series Truck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokusi View Post
I still have a little bit of trimming to do on the rockers and can give more accurate dimensions when I am done but if you just want general sizes and angles I can give you those get those for you.

I do have the old tailgate still. What did you need?
I'm guessing the angles are 45 deg on the bends, i was more so curious on how car you have them bending in after the bottom 45 deg. Do you have them replacing your floor panel at the body mount, or cut away from the body mount.

I need pretty much the entire door. I had this great idea that I would like a drop down tailgate so I hacked away the locking section of it on the inside and now im left with a door that barely locks up when i shut it. (now that i've went back to the swing). I would like to cut apart everything under the lock panel and burn it into my tailgate under the lock panel so I have everything where it needs to be gain.
CKjeeps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2013, 12:52 PM   #55
khwrx
1992 YJ Wrangler 

nice build keep it up man. new to the forum and checking out the builds. doing a 1 ton axle swap on my yj now.
khwrx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2013, 12:08 PM   #56
hokusi
1992 YJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=CKjeeps;14838174]I'm guessing the angles are 45 deg on the bends, i was more so curious on how car you have them bending in after the bottom 45 deg. Do you have them replacing your floor panel at the body mount, or cut away from the body mount. QUOTE]

Not 100% sure what you are asking about but maybe this explains it. What you see in the pictures above is the 16G patch panel that is welded to the tub, it connects to the rocker and then inside is welded to the floor boards. The actual gaurds that go over the tub are 3/16" steel and will bolt to the rocker just below the "jeep" stamp and the door sill. They match the new angle of the rocker and run along the bottom of the floor. They mount to the stock body mount (front and rear, i cut out a center notch so avoid the center body mount. It made install alot easier) locations under the truck. I included a blue print ,i cant take credit for it i got from another user on this forum. I belive it was erock but i honestly forget who. My boat side gaurd is a bit different then this print. I bent up the front of the rocker to allow for the height difference between the body mounts and also cut a channel to allow for nthe e-brake cable. The gaurd was cut to run along the frame instead of having them slide between the frame and the tub. This also saved me a few pounds, 3/16" is kinda heavy so any weight i could take off was good in my book as along as it didnt have any effect on the strength which it shouldnt. Hope this covers what you were asking. if not please feel free to ask any more questions. I love the boatside project so far, it has been a fun learning experience.

Unread 02-11-2013, 10:13 PM   #57
hokusi
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Finished welding the drivers side, then started removing everything from the inside of the truck. I purchased some spray on raptor liner and will spray the inside of the tub as soon as i get the passenger boatside finished.

Here is how the inside of the boatside looks. The old seat belt lower bolt location was totally rusted out so we welded a grade 8 nut to a small plate of 16g and then welded that to the inside of the sheet metal you see in the picture.

I started filling the seams with some brush on seal sealer but have not finished yet.

Inside is almost totally stripped out. To start the sanding pocess, not looking forward to it. The raptor liner should arrive later this week.

Unread 02-22-2013, 03:31 PM   #58
hokusi
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Picked up a set of doors. Mine were In ok shape but had rust on the window frame so found a set of totally rust free doors. Only bad part was the chrome handles and rattle can paint job. Both of which are easily fixed

What I did find out is that the doors I got were from a 1988 and the internals are abit different then my 1992 the door locks are abit smaller and the linkages are also smaller. So after some creative assembly I got the black handles and my old door locks installed on the new doors.

P.s. the door handles are a ***** to remove/install the first time you have to figure it out on your own. I should have check the forum first but got it figured out after abit of cursing.

image-1559756035.jpg

Unread 02-25-2013, 09:20 AM   #59
hokusi
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Got the passenger side boatsides welded up. Had a few rust spots I had to trim off. Need to cut some filler pieces for these.

image-209382236.jpg

image-1540157434.jpg

Unread 03-01-2013, 10:29 PM   #60
hokusi
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Brown Santa came today and delivered some goodies. The green sahara seats i have are fine but just wont go with the Jeep when i paint it black.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.