Operation Blackout YJ - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Operation Blackout YJ

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 09-09-2012, 05:11 PM   #16
schaef89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Nice YJ. You plan on fixing the rust before the rocker guards?

schaef89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2012, 08:12 PM   #17
hokusi
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Had abit of free time today and got really tired of my crappy looking shocks, so i decided to paint the fronts. Within the next 6 months i plan to replace them with shock hoops and Fox shocks but until then i will be alittle happier with the old ones. Here is what i had to work with ( also they had these ugly blue shock boots that i cut off)

photo(8)

When i was taking the shocks off i cut off the shock boots and there was maybe 1-2" of dirt piled in them. Now i see why alot of people hate the boots. I doubt i will ever run them again.

I sprayed the 2 front shocks and the steering stabalizer white and also sprayed the fender wells with undercoating.

IMG_4674
IMG_4672
IMG_4676
hokusi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2012, 08:14 PM   #18
hokusi
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaef89 View Post
Nice YJ. You plan on fixing the rust before the rocker guards?
The plan is to replace all the rusted metal with new panels. I have a set of rocker gaurds but i actually think i am going to do Boatsides. Either way all the rust will be cut out and fixed. Plan on doing it the right way.
Unread 09-09-2012, 08:22 PM   #19
hokusi
1992 YJ Wrangler 

According to my wife the stock tire carrier "is ugly" and we need to make the truck "tough" so off came the tire carrier and bumperets. Painted it tonight but was to dark to take pics, will take some tommorow.

IMG_4678
Unread 09-09-2012, 08:32 PM   #20
schaef89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokusi

The plan is to replace all the rusted metal with new panels. I have a set of rocker gaurds but i actually think i am going to do Boatsides. Either way all the rust will be cut out and fixed. Plan on doing it the right way.
Very nice. I'll be following along
schaef89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2012, 06:40 AM   #21
hokusi
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Here is the finished product. Not a huge change but cleans up the back abit.

I also noticed today that the truck sits abit lower on the passanger side. Only Noticable from the back. I am guessing the rear passanger spring is sagging abit. My tailgate is jacked up and sits on a angle. Not sure if the tailgate is throwing my eyes off. I will have to do some measurements

Before:
IMG_4666 (2)

After:
photo(9)
Unread 09-11-2012, 07:13 PM   #22
hokusi
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Well had alittle scare today. I was pulling out of my driveway and started to drive down my road when my brakes went. I hit the brakes and the pedal went to the floor and the jeep couldnt stop. Luckly i was going very slow when it happened and slamming on the ebrake stopped me. Turns out my hard brakelines were rusted pretty bad and the passanger side front line cracked. Brake fluid was draining out when i hit the pedal. Kinda scary to think what would have happened if i was cruizing down the highway and this happened. Needless to say the whole brake system is getting overhauled. I orderd a full set of pre-bent stainless brakelines. I have bent my own lines on a few previous trucks and cars but i just dont feel like spending the time bending that many lines. Soooo for the price it was worth it for me to get the prebent ones. Hopefully i will get them delivered before the weekend so i can get the truck up and running.
Unread 11-14-2012, 06:33 AM   #23
hokusi
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Well its been awhile since i have updated. Put the jeep in the garage and its been slow go, just hard to find time.

After some thought i decided to go with boatside rockers. One of my clients is an aerospace sheet metal shop and they where able to make me a set of boatside rocker. I had them make me a thinner mock-up set so i can check the fitment and make any adjustments. Once mocked up i will cut and bend up a 3/16 set. That being said it was time to start trimming the rockers. Sadly the amount we had to trim did not cover all the rust spots so i need to do a bit of patch work. I want to try to keep the JEEP stamp but depends how much rust there is and if i can trim out around it for the patch.

I have a 2 inch top lip on the boatside rockers so i measured down from just below the door sill and we ran a line of tape to use a cutting guide. It removes 4-1/4" from the bottom of the rocker.

Then it was just time to cut the sheet metal and pry if from the tub. It had alot of rust so actually came off pretty easy. Use the air chisel to get through a few rivits along the way.

Unread 11-14-2012, 06:45 AM   #24
hokusi
1992 YJ Wrangler 

The floor boards had a good amount of rust so i opted to buy full replacements. When i pulled the rug and really inspected the floors there were a few more holes then i expected. Also the PO had done a pretty bad job patching the driver side front floor. When i first had looked i thought they welded in a patch panel but on second look they actually used sheet metal screws and some kinda hard rubber adhesive/sealant to hold the panel in.

Panel removed-

I was poking around with a screwdriver and poked a hole right into the base of the roll bar. Guess that' s going to have to be replaced.

Unread 11-14-2012, 06:02 PM   #25
97blueblake
1997 TJ Wrangler 

looks like youve got your rust repair set out for you, good luck! Wish i had the skills and confidence to take on a project like that
Unread 11-14-2012, 07:28 PM   #26
lovett86
1990 YJ Wrangler 

sweet project looks killer so far

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/90-yj-frame-swap-build-up-1434246/
lovett86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2012, 08:15 PM   #27
hokusi
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Yesterday was my birthday and I got a new Ballistic battery box for a gift. Its made for a Optima battery. Its a really heavy duty box and very well constructed. I think you could flip the truck a few times and never worry about the battery moving (I hope i never have to prove that statement). It comes bare metal so i guess i have another paint project.

Unread 11-18-2012, 06:53 PM   #28
hokusi
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Got the boatside mocked-up today. Really like the way they look. It was a bit of work but well worth it. Now i have to cut out the old floor boards and weld up the new ones, drill out all the stripped/rusted roll bar bolts (screw you torx-heads), and create some patch pieces for the rusted area behind the roll bar mounts.

Unread 11-18-2012, 07:21 PM   #29
hokusi
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I cut the boatsides to run just along the frame. Once i get a few more small trims i will send it back to the sheetmetal shop so he can program it into the lazer and brake. Then have him make me a set in 3/16th sheet.

I ran into 2 small problems while mocking it up:

a) The front body mount is about a 1 1/4 higher then the other mounts so i had to bend up the section at that body mount. I will get a picture when i remove the mockup.

b) the e-brake cable runs right where the rocker mounts. I ended up cutting a channel through the boatside so it can slide past the cable.
Unread 11-21-2012, 07:38 PM   #30
hokusi
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Picked up a used tailgate today for $70. It has tire mount and hinges but dont need the tire mount so try to sell or give that away. Hopefully this one will actually sit straight. Its in good shape no rust, good moulding and locking mechanism. Just has a tiny dent on the top edge. Can fix that pretty easy.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.