Operation Blackout YJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Operation Blackout YJ

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 08-27-2012, 08:51 PM   #1
hokusi
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Operation Blackout YJ

I Purchased my pretty rusty project jeep a few weeks ago. I have always had one truck or another but this is my first Jeep. Honestly dont know why i waited so long to buy one. I have had it for 3 weeks now and have been driving it everyday since and i love this damn thing. Now keep in mind i have a brand new VW GTI that hasnt left my driveway since i got the jeep.

The good:
1992 YJ sahara edition
4.0 5 speed with 111,XXX miles
4.5" rubicon express lift
33" Goodyear MT/R
warn front bumber with a 9000 badlands winch (harbor freight special)
hardtop/softtop/bikini top
frame seems in good shape. no rust issues other then surface.
Has SYE

The Bad:

Rusted out window frame
rusted out rockers
bad front floor board fix by previous owner
rusted rear coners of floor boards where the roll bar mounts
doors have rust in window frames
exhaust manifold has a crack
oil leak (think it's the rear main seal)
after 2 weeks of driving had a slight binding in the steering (pb blaster the crap out of the steeing shaft u-joint and it went away) = needs a new steering shaft

Extra parts it came with when purchased:

2 spare 33" tires (30% tread)
Raptor rocker gaurds new never installed
front mount tow bar

Parts i have already purchased and plan to install within the next few weeks:

a) Smitty built tube fender
b) Borgenson HD steering shaft
c) Window frame and moldings
d) L/R side rear floor boards
e) L/R side rocker replacement panels
f) herculiner the floor once all the rust is gone and panels are in.

That should keep me busy for abit

Short term Future Plans:

a) M.O.R.E. hoop shock mounts (bolted and welded in) fox shocks
b)Paint the truck Flat black
c) replace/repair doors
d) custom roll cage
e) make a rear bumper and tire carrier ( according to the wife "It looks ugly without the tire mounted" who am i to argue)
e) have a ford 9" ( still debating on this in the rear or just getting an 8.8) and front dana 44 just need rebuild/gears/lockers
and on and on and on............... money pit

all in all the truch drive great, small oil and exhaust leak

Not sure exactly how old the lift is but i am guessing a few years old atleast.

Here are some day one pics

Last edited by hokusi; 08-27-2012 at 09:40 PM..
hokusi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2012, 09:08 PM   #2
hokusi
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Well after the first week of owning the jeep i purchased a pair of Smittybuild tube front fenders with the 3" extra flare. I have heard good and bad about the smittybuild stuff so i figured i would check it out. Common complints i hear:
a) crappy shipping packages (check) -luckly no damage whule shipoing the fenders where recieved in great shape.
b) doesnt come with the template to cut the stock fenders (check)- one phone call and had the template in my email in about 5 minutes
c) had to bend the mounts abit to get it to fit right (check) - the front mounts needed just alittle adjustment but wasnt bad.
d) they rust easy (time will tell)

All in all i am very please with the fenders. Here is the abridge version of the install.

remove old fender-

Use the supplied template and start cutting. We used a sawz-all and it went pretty smooth. Worst part is getting over the idea of cutting up your jeep. What we did find is that its nice having 2 people, one to cut and the other to hold the fender from vibrating like crazy.

This part isnt included in the templkate so you just have to eye it. but you need to leave a thin stip of metal all the way back to the end of the fender

Once the top was cut we measured for the inner fender well cut. It was 1" from fender.

once cut you can pry back the section of metal and reach the firewall bolts. Had an air ratchet and was pretty easy. Might have been alittle tight with a regular ratchet.

- got alittle lazy taking pictures because we were trying to get it done before it got dark. So not to many after this point. However lesson learned, take more pictures in the furture. -

Next we cut the front of the fender. This cut was alittle confusing with the directions. We werent 100% sure what they wanted but luckly we made the right cut the first time. Basically you cut a line just behind (toward the back of the truck) the mounting backet that goes to the grill. There is a thicker plate there that makes an excelent guide.

From here you lay the the new fender ontop of the stock fender.

Unread 08-27-2012, 09:18 PM   #3
hokusi
1992 YJ Wrangler 

We loosly mounted the firewall bolts and then the grill bolts to make sure everything lined up. Once we felt comfortable with the fit we tighted everything down.

Drilled the top of fender holes, mounted the hood latches and the rubber stop and there ya go done and done.

I also just stuck the side marker light into the front holes in the fender. This is temporary till i can get a better light for it.

Here is the finished product. i also removed the side steps (which was a project in itself since every bolt was stuck,

I knew the rockers were bad but didnt know how bad till i took the step off and now you can see how rusted they are.

In total the fenders took us about 4-5 hours. Most of the time was spent on figuring out the first side and then was able to crankout the other side.
Unread 08-28-2012, 07:56 PM   #4
hokusi
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Got my steering shaft delivered today. I am glad i decided to pay the extra money for the HD shaft. The difference between this and the stock shaft is amazing. Hope to install it over the weekend.

steering shaft
Unread 08-31-2012, 10:42 PM   #5
hokusi
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Installed the new steering shaft today. Took about 2 hours including painting and dry time. I was expecting the install to be alot worse, but it went pretty smooth.

When we went to take out the stock shaft it turned out the shaft was rusted solid and wouldnt collapse. So when in doubt cut it out!!!

photo(3)

Heres a side by side.

photo(4)

Once out we we drilled the hole in the steering colum, painted the shaft and installed right in. We had some issues sliding the new shaft onto the steering box. There was a good amount of rust on the spline shaft from the steering box. After some PB blast and a wire brush the spline shaft was clean and the new steering shaft slid right on.

photo(5)

photo(6)
Unread 08-31-2012, 11:11 PM   #6
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

You've got yourself a great base to work with
ashland82391 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2012, 07:52 PM   #7
hokusi
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I was in autoparts store today and came out to "Mini-Me" parked next to me. Another green sahara, who's truck was in amazing shape. May have been cute and small but i was envious of his 0 rust and perfect paint.

photo(7)

p.s. all that antifreeze under my truck was not from me. Guess the person there before me was having some issues.
Unread 09-02-2012, 09:05 PM   #8
hokusi
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Decided to take off my rear fenders today and some how my front bumper ended up being 8" shorter (wierd!) . After i gor the rear fenders off my brother and i were talking and next thing you know we had the spur-of-the-moment idea to shorten the front bumper. Have to love impulse projects.

First off i removed the rear fenders. The intent was to get a head start on disassembly for the install of my floor pans and rocker panels. But i just really wanted to see how it looked without the flares.

photo(13)

Once the fenders were off we had the bright idea to cut down the bumper. So off comes the bumper.
photo(14)

I didnt want to just hack off the ends and make it look cheap. i like the look of the bumper i had i just hated how long it was. i really love the shorty front bumpers, i guess this was the middle ground between what i had and a shorty bumper. I measured the amount we could cut off that would still maintain the "end caps" of the bumper.
photo(12)

It turned out we could remove 4" on each side of the bumper. So out comes the cutting wheel on the grinder and off comes the end of the bumper. On a side note i am going to plane these projects better in the future. We have a chp saw with a metal cutting blade but of course it was shot and could barely cut through the bumper and we were to lazy to run to home depot to get another so we ised the grinder. It actually sliced right through and we were able to get pretty straight cuts. Though i am sure the chop saw would have worked alot better.
photo(15)

Here is the sections we cut out.
photo(11)

We took the end caps and tacked them on quick. Reinstalled the bumper to see how we liked it.
photo(16)

Everything looked good and it was time to weld it up, grind the welds, strip some paint. Once i started taking down the paint i found alot of pitting in the metal.The bumper had shown alot of rust (which i hear Warn bumpers are well know for) but the pitting was worse then i thought. i tried to grind smooth as much as i could. But i just didnt have the right wheels so left it as is. The plan is to pull it off next summer, sandblast, smooth the whole bumper, and re-paint it the right was. This ob was rushed a bit.
photo(10)
I primed it, then sprayed it with rubberized undercarriage paint. i wanted something with abit of texture to try and match the tube fenders abit.
photo(9)
photo(8)
Unread 09-02-2012, 09:14 PM   #9
hokusi
1992 YJ Wrangler 

here is the finished product. It was getting dark so not the best . I will take some better ones tommorow.
Before:
IMG_4379
After(edit with better pic):
IMG_4421

Last edited by hokusi; 09-03-2012 at 10:01 AM..
Unread 09-08-2012, 06:20 PM   #10
hokusi
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Finally got all my parts in to start getting rid of the rust. I should be busy for the next few weeks with all of this. ( front and rear floor pannels, winshield frame, rocker panels)

photo (2)

Will be nice to be rust free!!

Now the big choice is do i paint it flat black or a military green???? any opinions?
Unread 09-08-2012, 06:41 PM   #11
CDW_327
1993 YJ Wrangler 

First off nice work so far! Couple things, instead of replacing the rockers with stock rockers you should look into boat sides, lots of clearance gained with that mod, Also I think your jeep would look better and awesome if you painted it a gloss black or I could be a little biased b/c that's what my Yj is

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 09-08-2012, 07:39 PM   #12
hokusi
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDW_327 View Post
First off nice work so far! Couple things, instead of replacing the rockers with stock rockers you should look into boat sides, lots of clearance gained with that mod, Also I think your jeep would look better and awesome if you painted it a gloss black or I could be a little biased b/c that's what my Yj is

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

I have actually been seriously debating on doing boatsides. The only issue i have is my tube fenders. Trying to figure out how to blend the boatside into them without having to hack off the bottom section and weld in some end tubes. If i leave the fenders the way they are now i think it would look alittle wierd.
Unread 09-08-2012, 08:46 PM   #13
cbpldc
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well the thread title is operation blackout, so I imagine we would all be disappointed if you went green.

Chris
cbpldc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2012, 11:54 AM   #14
hokusi
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbpldc View Post
Well the thread title is operation blackout, so I imagine we would all be disappointed if you went green.

Chris
Well who am i to disappoint the forum.
Unread 09-09-2012, 12:08 PM   #15
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I dig this build it looks very nice

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.