"Om Nom" build thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > "Om Nom" build thread

Jeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdDana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJClayton Off Road JK Long Arm Upgrade Kits!

Unread 04-29-2009, 04:28 PM   #1
hyperboarder
1992 XJ Cherokee 

"Om Nom" build thread - 98 Sahara

I'm bored, so I'll go with a long back story that starts a few years ago. Once upon a time I had an 02 Protege5 and a 99 ZX-6R. Sold the Protege5 for a Saab 92x Aero (WRX in different clothes) and sold the ZX-6R for a GSXR 1000. Here's the Saab:

It'll come into play in a second. Here's the GSXR:

Anyway, moved from Colorado to Iowa for work, so alas, decided to sell the bike because I though no one here would ride. Here it is the last time I saw it:

Got here and of course, tons of bikes. The roads suck, so I'm not that worried, but it was a surprise. I was bored with just one vehicle, so I started looking for a TJ. A good friend had on in Colorado and it was always fun, so I thought I'd enjoy one. Found one in Minnesota for a great price, low miles, not too rusty, and a Sahara, meaning hopefully it had the D44. Drove up, picked it up (even though it did have the D35), here's how it looked on day one:

Now for the name, I had to get plates, so I chose "Saabaru" for the 92x and needed something for the Jeep, which is where "Om Nom" comes in. Don't ask, but that's now the plate. That also inspired some of the build, as something with a plate that good definitely needs to be good.

Somewhere in October I found a guy getting rid of a D30/D44 combo out of a 99 Sahara for cheap, picked those up with a lockright for the D30. Got em, and decided to wait til spring to install them. Drove it for a while, even through the 34 below weather we saw this winter, and it did good, but soon after the water pump started leaking. I put it off for a while, but when I started doing my taxes I figured I'd have enough to get the water pump and radiator andd maybe a bit more.

Finished them up and (mostly due to a garbage economy) I had a monster refund coming. Budgeted it and picked up a 4" RC X series (the new one), 35" DC Mud Countrys on steelies, a 1" BL/MML, a SYE/CV DS, Smittybilt front and rear bumpers, rocker guards, and at least a few other things I've forgotten. All in all a great purchase. Things started arriving in late February so I pulled the Jeep into the garage and started working.

Not gonna lie, it was a long install, I worked a couple hours a day, 3-4 days a week for the last 8 or 9 weeks to get it all in. Finally on Monday I got the last bolts tightened and the toe in set, so I took her for a spin. Quickly found out I still needed to align the steering wheel and the headlights, did those, and then took it out again last night. I got lucky, everything is working great and no vibes to speak of (knock on wood). Here's a few pics as it sits now:

It still needs a lot, including a regear, a rear locker, a winch, and some other good stuff, but I'm planning on moving back to Colorado soon, so that can wait til I get there to get a reputable 4x4 jeep shop to do the work. I've also done a few things to the interior, Smittybilt G.E.A.R. seat covers, a new stereo, and some random tools. I'll probably put some pics of that up later. Just got a safari top and the Smittybilt CRES nets, they'll be the new summer top. Hate on Smittybilt all you want, the seat covers and the nets are both innovative and freakin cheap, which I can respect. Yeah, made in China, but good engineering is good engineering.

So yeah, that's how it sits now, I'll update this as more goes on, which it definitely will. Sorry for the lack of build pics, I did it all myself and didn't really find much time to take any. Feel free to comment, ask questions, whatever. Thanks for reading, enjoy the trails!

Last edited by hyperboarder; 04-29-2009 at 06:18 PM.. Reason: Clarification
hyperboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2009, 11:43 AM   #2
hyperboarder
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Wow, I thought the thread title would garner a little more interest, I'm kinda bummed.
Unread 04-30-2009, 12:00 PM   #3
Brads_nky_yj

Looks great there chief!! How do you like those tires?
Unread 04-30-2009, 02:22 PM   #4
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Sharp lookin rig man. Nicely done. Keep us posted on updates.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2009, 03:25 PM   #5
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

mmm thats tasty

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2009, 03:28 PM   #6
hyperboarder
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brads_nky_yj View Post
Looks great there chief!! How do you like those tires?
They came highly recommended by Jeff at Rough Country, so far they're good. Smooth, decently quiet, they track well, no complaints here. I personally like the looks of the Baja Claw MTZ, but I thought I'd give these a shot.
Unread 04-30-2009, 05:24 PM   #7
hyperboarder
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Here's a few pics from today including previous interior mods that I didn't take pictures of yet.

Back with the hilift mounted, rope (don't ask), and the new G.E.A.R. seat covers:

Close up of the G.E.A.R. covers, I really like em. They're a more universal fit, but you really don't notice when you're sitting on them. Really unique and functional though:

The new vaulted glovebox that I put in today, easy install and decent product, a little more room than stock and seemingly more secure, plus it looks good. You can also see the Sony deck I have, it's about the best iPod deck I've ever used:

Fun day, got whined at by a 40 year old who couldn't get in/out well, but it's still a blast.
Unread 05-04-2009, 11:40 AM   #8
hyperboarder
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Couple notes so far:

Thought I had a leak somewhere on the left side of the D44 housing, looked closer and I think it's just a brake leak, promply cranked that line down a little harder and so far, so good.

I honestly don't mind the 35/3.73 combo, primarily because it feels exactly like my 30/3.07 combo with a little more room needed for braking. In my perfect world AA would make a 4 speed Atlas with something like a 1.3 (2 hi/4 hi), 2.5, 4.5, and something absurd like 10 and I would be happy. In reality I'll need to upgrade to 4.88's before I head back west/up in altitude, this wouldn't work so well in the mountains.

Still waiting on my CRES nets, should be in this month, looking forward to running that with a safari top. I also need to decide on doors, I'm on the fence between some half tube doors and full soft doors, any advice?
Unread 05-04-2009, 02:29 PM   #9
notforsale
1977 CJ5 

If your gonna keep your hard doors for winter, etc and rain and all isnt an issue i'd go with the half tube doors. They look sweet and its more fun without full doors. Personal opinion...I dont even run doors with my Jeep.
notforsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2009, 04:11 PM   #10
hyperboarder
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by notforsale View Post
If your gonna keep your hard doors for winter, etc and rain and all isnt an issue i'd go with the half tube doors. They look sweet and its more fun without full doors. Personal opinion...I dont even run doors with my Jeep.
The rain worries me a little, but I like the Or Fabs that I found a lot and the soft doors are kind of meh. I'll probably go that way, tube doors seem like fun.
Unread 05-04-2009, 09:35 PM   #11
hyperboarder
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Couple more notes, started filling the G.E.A.R.s, the drivers now has a first aid kit, mallet (discos), recovery strap, and some clippy straps. Passengers has a tool kit, mag light, smaller LED light, and trash bag. Also picked up a fire extinguisher that'll stay tightly strapped to the roll cage at the base behind the passenger seat (required for some local clubs).
Unread 05-05-2009, 10:51 AM   #12
notforsale
1977 CJ5 

Yea tubes are cool. You can always throw the doors you have now on there if its supposed to rain that day.
Unread 05-09-2009, 01:02 PM   #13
hyperboarder
1992 XJ Cherokee 

One of my favorite pictures so far:

That's the aftermath of a big build up done all at once. No rear seat in there either, so much cardboard! At least a couple trees worth.
Unread 05-10-2009, 08:59 AM   #14
jeepbub08
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Holy hell man. Thats a lot of cardboard.

Eastern NC Jeep Owners #8
jeepbub08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2009, 02:03 PM   #15
notforsale
1977 CJ5 

lol i wanna know how many parts filled those! how much money did you spend?????

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.