I'm bored, so I'll go with a long back story that starts a few years ago. Once upon a time I had an 02 Protege5 and a 99 ZX-6R. Sold the Protege5 for a Saab 92x Aero (WRX in different clothes) and sold the ZX-6R for a GSXR 1000. Here's the Saab:
It'll come into play in a second. Here's the GSXR:
Anyway, moved from Colorado to Iowa for work, so alas, decided to sell the bike because I though no one here would ride. Here it is the last time I saw it:
Got here and of course, tons of bikes. The roads suck, so I'm not that worried, but it was a surprise. I was bored with just one vehicle, so I started looking for a TJ. A good friend had on in Colorado and it was always fun, so I thought I'd enjoy one. Found one in Minnesota for a great price, low miles, not too rusty, and a Sahara, meaning hopefully it had the D44. Drove up, picked it up (even though it did have the D35), here's how it looked on day one:
Now for the name, I had to get plates, so I chose "Saabaru" for the 92x and needed something for the Jeep, which is where "Om Nom" comes in. Don't ask, but that's now the plate. That also inspired some of the build, as something with a plate that good definitely needs to be good.
Somewhere in October I found a guy getting rid of a D30/D44 combo out of a 99 Sahara for cheap, picked those up with a lockright for the D30. Got em, and decided to wait til spring to install them. Drove it for a while, even through the 34 below weather we saw this winter, and it did good, but soon after the water pump started leaking. I put it off for a while, but when I started doing my taxes I figured I'd have enough to get the water pump and radiator andd maybe a bit more.
Finished them up and (mostly due to a garbage economy) I had a monster refund coming. Budgeted it and picked up a 4" RC X series (the new one), 35" DC Mud Countrys on steelies, a 1" BL/MML, a SYE/CV DS, Smittybilt front and rear bumpers, rocker guards, and at least a few other things I've forgotten. All in all a great purchase. Things started arriving in late February so I pulled the Jeep into the garage and started working.
Not gonna lie, it was a long install, I worked a couple hours a day, 3-4 days a week for the last 8 or 9 weeks to get it all in. Finally on Monday I got the last bolts tightened and the toe in set, so I took her for a spin. Quickly found out I still needed to align the steering wheel and the headlights, did those, and then took it out again last night. I got lucky, everything is working great and no vibes to speak of (knock on wood). Here's a few pics as it sits now:
It still needs a lot, including a regear, a rear locker, a winch, and some other good stuff, but I'm planning on moving back to Colorado soon, so that can wait til I get there to get a reputable 4x4 jeep shop to do the work. I've also done a few things to the interior, Smittybilt G.E.A.R. seat covers, a new stereo, and some random tools. I'll probably put some pics of that up later. Just got a safari top and the Smittybilt CRES nets, they'll be the new summer top. Hate on Smittybilt all you want, the seat covers and the nets are both innovative and freakin cheap, which I can respect. Yeah, made in China, but good engineering is good engineering.
So yeah, that's how it sits now, I'll update this as more goes on, which it definitely will. Sorry for the lack of build pics, I did it all myself and didn't really find much time to take any. Feel free to comment, ask questions, whatever. Thanks for reading, enjoy the trails!