Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Noob Build

252K views 1K replies 108 participants last post by  Holaday 
#1 ·
Well for the past ten year (I am only 25) I have owned 4 Jeeps and had 4 extremely mild builds. After my recent build up of my XK I decided it was worth it to buy a a real Jeep.

It was fun, but body damage sucks on the minivan:rofl:

Next was the purchase of the TJ.

Had a great start, but a long way to go

See less See more
#1,296 ·
I have been slowly getting the Jeep back ready for summer wheeling season. I swapped out the front seats for a wider set (getting old sucks) They do sit a lot higher too, which I like a lot. I also got the steering sorted out and a new ram mounted up.

Lastly, I had been getting a clunk going from forward to reverse. After longer than I care to admit, the clunk has been found. 2 of the 3 bolt locations for the motor mount plate have broken off of the block. I ordered up a set of these heavy duty plates from MORE. They use the original 3 plus 7 more additional mounting points on the block. They look bulky and will be a chore to install, but it beats pulling the engine. After that I am down to balljoints, swap in the low pinion rear 3rdd member if I have time, and fix a leaking transmission cooler line. Home stretch.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Vehicle Car
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Automotive lighting
Wood Lighting Interior design Houseplant Floor

#1,298 ·
Green Acres Offroad Park in Clayton OK recap. Awesome Park!

(49) Green Acres OK Rock Crawling 2022 - YouTube

Video never does the terrain justice. The rocks were HUGE, the traction was awesome, and it was a great group to wheel with. I blew up another 300M RCV stub shaft, Mike blew up an engine, Cole killed an ORI, and everyone acquired some body damage.

We left St. Louis at 5:00 am on Friday to make the 8 hour drive. I had the whole family with me, so it took us 10 hours...

We got to the VRBO and dropped the girls off, unloaded the Jeep and Loaded up the cooler. From there we wheeled until around 3:00 am. Only breakage that first night was a blown 4.0 in Mikes Red TJ after going up Black widow.

We started early the next morning after Seth got in with his Rockwell TJ pickup. From there we hit the front side of Green Acres and covered some ground and let Seth get some seat time in the new rig.

Then we headed over to Slims. The video shows some of the trail, but it is 2 miles of nearly vertical, boulder strewn gully. We took most of the day to run all three sections. After that we ran Redneck millionaire. I was trying to front dig out of a bind and blew up another RCV stub shaft. It killed the unit bearing too, so that sucked, but we had spares for both.

After dinner we wheeled again until the wee hours of the morning, slept for 3 hours, and loaded up for the drive home.

Brutal terrain, zero access roads, and no map make this park a bit of a challenge, but we will be headed back to Clayton again before the year ends.

Also, Harlan trip for Thanksgiving if anyone is interested.

#1,300 ·
We had a great time at Crawl the Ozarks this year. I didnt take any pics, and we could only stay for 1 day, but the Jeep did awesome and the girls and I had a blast.

We did get to wheel with Holly again. My girls think she is pretty awesome.
Wheel Tire Sky Cloud Vehicle

End of the day, we hit a rogue root off of a stump that poked a hole in our radiator. My spare radiator was at the house, so we loaded up and made it back in time for Friday nights football game.

(129) Broken Winchlines Broken Gladiators Broken Jeeps - YouTube

#1,303 ·
Smile Beard Motor vehicle Cap Travel

Quick Writeup from our last trip.

My son and I left St. Louis right after Thanksgiving dinner on Thursday to make the 500 mile drive to Hot Springs Offroad Park in Hot Springs Arkansas. It rained the entire drive down, and we didn't get into the hotel until after 1:00 am. Friday we started the day early since it was supposed to be the only dry day all weekend. We hit most of the 5 and 6 rated trails in the morning, and then headed to Baily's Bolders and Ingrid's Revenge. Both were bucket list trails for us. Baily's went well until the last obstacle. It was jsut too wet and slimy/muddy. Not even the buggies got the line. They we went off to Ingrid's. We were one of the only Jeeps to crawl the slab, everyone else had to really hammer on it. Then onto the bowl. I was the 6th Jeep through, so it was pretty wet and muddy by the time I got there. Cole had just flopped, so I tried a new line. After about 6 minutes, we finally found traction.

After that we ended the day on Free Fall. A wild nearly vertical drop trail going into camp. It was dark and I hate downhill, but certainly made for an exciting end of the day. Day two we wheeled until lunch, but then the rain really picked up.

Video of Ingrid's

(343) Hot Springs Offroad Park Thanksgiving 2022 - YouTube

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

We will be back for sure in the summer when it is a bit dryer. There are some wild looking climbs I wan't to try.

#1,304 ·
I saw your youtube video but you had comments turned off so I couldn't comment.

Nice crawl on Ingrid's slab!! I hate that slab, if you start sliding towards driver you are going over and it is slick when dry, wet it is like ice. That is the most water I have seen in the bottom of the bowl in quite a while, nice climb especially after seeing the flop.

#1,305 ·
I saw your youtube video but you had comments turned off so I couldn't comment.

Nice crawl on Ingrid's slab!! I hate that slab, if you start sliding towards driver you are going over and it is slick when dry, wet it is like ice. That is the most water I have seen in the bottom of the bowl in quite a while, nice climb especially after seeing the flop.
Thanks! I suck at uploading to Youtube, I can't figure out the comments. It was sloppy while we were there. There were a few climbs I didn't even want to mess with when they were wet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.