Nightmares 99 WJ Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Nightmares 99 WJ Build

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsEnd of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!

Unread 09-10-2014, 01:16 PM   #1
Nightmares
1999 WJ 

Nightmares 99 WJ Build

Figured I'd get this started so I can track my own progress and update as I go. Picked up a 99 WJ for $1500 that had been in a fender bender. Laredo with the 4.0 and "Camel" leather interior. This Jeep will become my DD and mild wheeler, also will be done on a budget so the process will probably be a few years long.

Here's the phases it'll be going through. I plan to hopefully not have to buy too much that's not needed as I go until I get to the future goal. Everything I install and later remove will then be able to be sold, so hopefully I don't go too upside down into this.

Phase 1 (Street Legal)
1) CCFL Halo headlights
2) JK Rubicon wheels with 255/70r17 BFG MT's
3) 2" BB with BDS Shocks
4) Curt Rear Tire Carrier
-From the fender bender, the headlight, hood, fender, and bumper cover were crushed. There's some damage on the front apron, but no structural damage. The hood and fender will be straightened, but not replaced or repaired as I plan on this thing being out on the Rubicon and out in Moab, so body damage will be no concern. Headlights will be replaced with some Anzo Projector/LED/Halo's, with the LED's and Halo's hooked up to a switch powered by an ignition fuse for DRL's. The tires are completely bald, so I came across a set of 5 JK Rubicon wheels with like new BFG KM's on it. The front bumper cover will be removed, and I'll install a 2" BB to accommodate the new wheels and tires. Any trimming will be done from there (not worried about fenders as some Bushwacker cut out's are in store for the future). I'll also be putting a Curt rear tire carrier that slides into the receiver hitch to carry the 5th Rubicon wheel and tire.

Phase 2 (Pre-Build)
1) Zone 4" Lift
2) 50" Curved 288w LED Light Bar
3) 7" HID Spot Lights Pair
4) Protofab4x4 Rocksolid Pre-Runner Bumper
5) 5" Flush LED Flood Lights Pair
6) 9" HID Spot Lights Pair
7) 7" HID Flood Lights Pair
8) CSI 8500 Winch w/Wireless Controller
9) Factor 55 Red Prolink
-Here's where the real start to my build will begin. The BB will be pulled and replaced with a Zone lift to allow for some real capabilites with the tires. A 50" LED Light bar will be mounted across the windshield, the one I'm ordering includes a wireless remote and bluetooth capability for an android phone, also will be hard wired into a switch. I'll modify a JK A-Pillar switch mount to fit in the Jeep for the additional lights. Two 7" HID spot lights will be mounted to base of the A-Pillars, hard wired to a switch in the pod. I'll be installing a Protofab4x4 Rocksolid Pre-Runner bumper, which will be modified to accomodate two 5" flush mounted LED flood lights for fog lights. The bumper will be bed lined from a local company called Tough Line, along with the gray cladding and rear bumper on the Jeep itself. The CSI 8500 will be installed on the bumper, along with a CSI wireless kit, and a Factor 55 Prolink in red to finish it off. Two 9" HID Spot lights will be mounted centered on the top of the pre-runner bar, and two 7" HID Flood lights will be mounted next to the 9" lights. I'll also be installing a CSI wireless kit for the lights, hooked to the 9" Spots and 7" Floods.

Phase 3 (Upgrading Hardware)
1) Iron Rock Off Road Front Critical Path Long Arm Kit
2) Iron Rock Off Road Rear Critical Path Long Arm Kit
3) Iron Rock Off Road Front Driveshaft Conversion w/Driveshaft
4) Iron Rock Off Road Hack 'n Tap w/Driveshaft
5) JKS Quick Swaybar Disconnects
6) JKS Adjustable Track Bar
-The overall plan is for 6.5" of lift and 35's, but that cannot be acheived without some upgrades to the suspension. I'll be installing these step by step one at a time, but in the end the Jeep will be pretty solid for all kinds of wheeling.

Phase 4 (Trail Ready)
1) Powertrax Rear Locker
2) Bushwacker Cut Out Flares
3) 35x12.50x17 General Grabber Red Letters
4) Fox 2.0 Shocks
5) Corbeau Moab Spice Leather w/Seatbelts
-At this point I should be ready to start taking this thing out to some pretty extreme places, such as Moab or the Rubicon. I've got some pretty nasty trails to test everything out here, so before calling myself ready for some long trips across state lines I'll be testing local. I'll be installing a Powertrax rear locker in the rear, along with some Bushwacker Cut Out Flares to allow for extra clearance. With the extra clearance, I'll be throwing the 2" BB back on it, replacing the Zone shocks with some Fox 2.0's, and replacing the BFG's with some 35x12.50x17 Red Letter Grabber's. The front seats in my Jeep are torn, so at this point I'll throw in some Corbeau Moab's in Spice color leather, along with 2 harnesses.

Phase 5 (Final Adjustments)
1) Iron Rock Off Road 6.5" Front & Rear Coils
2) Protofab4x4 Rear Bumper w/Tire Carrier & w/Jerry Can Holder
3) 5" Flush LED Flood Lights Pair
4) Garvin Wilderness Rack
5) 4" LED Flood Lights
6) Iron Rock Off Road Premium Rock Sliders
7) Odd's & Ends
-This should be the final stage for the Jeep. Pulling the Zone coils and BB out and replacing with full Iron Rock 6.5" Coils. I'll be installing the Protofab rear bumper and tire carrier with jerry can holder. I'll be modifying the jerry can holder to allow a hi-lift jack to be installed, and also installing another pair of 5" flush LED flood lights to match the front, then having Tough Line coat it to match the front bumper and side cladding, also will be having the Bushwacker Cut Out's lined as well. I want to install a Garvin Wilderness Rack on the roof, with a pair of 4" LED Flood lights on each side of the rack, then an axe and shovel mounted on each side. I'm thinking about modifying the rack or building some kind of box to install in the front of it, something weatherproof where I can keep tools and supplies locked up safe. To finish the look off, I'll be throwing on a pair of Iron Rock's premium sliders for side protection from the rocks. From here it'll be just small minor upgrades, such as exhaust, stereo, skid plates, etc.

Phase 6 (Full Rock Crawler)
-This phase will begin once I have another DD to drive and this strictly becomes a play toy. I'll upgrade the axle shaft's to some chromoly shafts, regear, build a full truss kit for the Dana 30 and Dana 35, ARB air locker for the front, possibly full cage inside, and lots of other stuff. This is looking far into the future.

I'm also going to add from here that I do work in an Off Road Shop, so although overkill on a lot of stuff (lights for example), a lot of this is going to be for show at my work. We also get involved in a lot of the events and shows around the valley here, so the more attention it gets, the better.

So, let the fun begin.

Here's what we're starting with.

Nightmares is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2014, 04:27 PM   #2
Nightmares
1999 WJ 

Here's the breakdown of the phases for all eyes to see.

PHASE ONE

PHASE TWO

PHASE THREE

Unread 09-11-2014, 04:28 PM   #3
Nightmares
1999 WJ 

PHASE FOUR

PHASE FIVE

Unread 09-11-2014, 04:58 PM   #4
OrvisAM
1999 WJ 

i like the plan! gonna be one bad rig when its all said and done! check out my 99 WJ build! being built on an extreme budget
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/9...udget-2696450/
Unread 09-11-2014, 09:22 PM   #5
SAVRICH
1985 CJ7 

That's gonna look good when it's done. Best of luck!
SAVRICH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2014, 10:38 PM   #6
Nightmares
1999 WJ 

Thanks guys. I was originally in the market for a JKU, considering i have 2 young daughters still in car seats and the 4 doors were ideal for loading and unloading them, but of course it's that time of year where they sell like crazy for insane prices. I almost pulled the trigger on an 07 Rubicon with about 12k invested into it, but i found this one for cheap. Mine has had a little over $3500 invested into repairs and rebuilds over the last few years, with receipts to prove it. Plus, no car payment, which is perfect for me, as now i can throw money into it building it, rather then paying it off the next 5 years.
Unread 09-12-2014, 03:39 PM   #7
Nightmares
1999 WJ 

Starting a part of Phase One tonight. Woke up this morning, driver's rear tire of the Jeep was almost flat. Milked it to a gas station and got tire pumped up, drove it almost 20 miles to my parents' house to drop off the kids. Driver's rear tire was again low, so I borrowed my brother's truck to get to work today. Tomorrow I have to head out to New Plymouth (100 mile round trip) for the Big Nasty Hill Climb, and I'm not going to risk it on a donut tire and I'd rather not make the drive at 10 miles to the gallon in my pickup. So tonight I'll try to pull the bumper and trim to fit the Rubicon wheels and tires. I'll update tonight with my findings.
Unread 09-13-2014, 05:25 PM   #8
Nightmares
1999 WJ 

Awh shoot guys. I think something fell off

I was going to try to fit the tires last night, but my truck was at home and i had no way to drive two vehicles to my parents house to start the work. Our shop at work was filled with vehicles, so no option there. I might grab them tomorrow and try to get them on. I just drove my truck today out too the event in New Plymouth.
Unread 09-20-2014, 05:17 PM   #9
Nightmares
1999 WJ 

Tires won't clear with the damaged apron, I'll have to find a way to pull it out or cut it off. Good news, i found a limited bumper and replacement headlight at the junk yard today. Looks a lot better. When i get the bb on and fix the apron, I'll trim out the fog lights and send it over to get the front bumper, side cladding and rear bumper bed lined. I actually hate that it's color matched and not gray, but it was this or green.

Unread 09-20-2014, 07:36 PM   #10
Nightmares
1999 WJ 

Had to grab some poser pics. I didn't plan on doing an OEM bumper back on it, but I have to wait till tax season before i can afford that Protofab bumper. 6 months is a long time to drive something ugly, and this bumper was only 50 bucks at the pick a part.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.