Nick's New 1966 Wagoneer Build - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Nick's New 1966 Wagoneer Build

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-19-2013, 06:53 AM   #31
84_Fiero

1966 FSJ Wagoneer 

No work to speak of, had to fix a couple shorts on my truck during the nice weather yesterday... My girl did take a couple of pics though. Funny because when I first talked about getting a Wagonener with this grill she didn't like it at all, must have grown on her!

"Anything that is complex is not useful and anything that is useful is simple. This has been my whole life's motto." –Mikhail Kalashnikov

“And note that it behooves a good Workman to hammer his Work as true as he can; for one quarter of an hour spent at the forge, may save him an hours work at the vice.” Josheph Moxon “Mechanick Exercises” from the year 1703

Nick’s 1966 Wagoneer Build
84_Fiero is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2013, 08:33 AM   #32
84_Fiero

1966 FSJ Wagoneer 

Busy month... Finished the semester, started the garden, got a little busy at work, not a whole lot of work on the Jeep, actually no work on the Jeep, but you'll have that from time to time...

I did discover I need an alternator, after driving it to the hardware store this past weekend and needing a jump from conveniently my high school shop teacher who happened to be needing hardware as well. So that will be a weekend project.

Also ordered tires for it from treadwright. I had 32" tires from them on my Cherokee and was quite pleased with the performance (albeit one did take 8oz to balance) so I figured I would go with them again. Got their "Puma" model in 30x9.5. They're asking to expect 3-4 weeks processing time, so I'll expect just that.

I had bought an old Crestliner 14' boat last year to fix up and re-sell. I'm working on selling it to one of the guys at work before I do any work to it to make it easier on me. Plus it takes up my half of the garage. If I do sell it to him (or when I sell it to anyone else), I figure an old aluminium canoe would be a nice addition on top of the Jeep!

"Anything that is complex is not useful and anything that is useful is simple. This has been my whole life's motto." –Mikhail Kalashnikov

“And note that it behooves a good Workman to hammer his Work as true as he can; for one quarter of an hour spent at the forge, may save him an hours work at the vice.” Josheph Moxon “Mechanick Exercises” from the year 1703

Unread 05-24-2013, 07:00 AM   #33
84_Fiero

1966 FSJ Wagoneer 

Apparently 3-4 weeks processing means 2 days, my tires are shipping today! My brother will be able to get his tires back on his CJ7 frame so he can roll it out and keep working on it (we discovered last weekend that the Wagoneer rims interfere with his calipers...) he didn't need another excuse to not do anything to it.

Unread 05-25-2013, 11:03 AM   #34
CherryCj7
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84_Fiero View Post
he didn't need another excuse to not do anything to it.
Easy now!!!! haha
CherryCj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2013, 11:30 AM   #35
84_Fiero

1966 FSJ Wagoneer 

Surprisingly an alternator for a 1966 Wagoneer wasn't in stock at any autoparts stores over the weekend. It will be in tomorrow though.

So I decided to see why the rear passenger door window wouldn't roll down. AH, the window guide track part was laying in the bottom of the door, and the window was held up by a bolt, awesome...

She insisted in cleaning the debris out of the door, I welded some new steel to the rusted out portions of the window support

Much better...

Some paint and the door is good for another 47 years...

Finished the window and had some time for one more modification for the day, added a jeepforum sticker to the rear window

Tires should be here Wednesday, after that my next item to look into will be brake lines and new brakes. Of course my truck could use the same, looks like a bulk order of stainless brake lines will be in order... I believe after that I should be able to just drive the Jeep around and enjoy it for a while, camping will be in order.

Unread 05-29-2013, 05:41 PM   #36
84_Fiero

1966 FSJ Wagoneer 

Tires have arrived!! They are better then I was expecting honestly... Now I just need to get them to my room mate's brother so he can mount them. And I need to come across a 5th rim so I can have a full size spare (actually any spare at this point...)

Unread 05-30-2013, 10:52 PM   #37
84_Fiero

1966 FSJ Wagoneer 

I believe that there are two quotes that can best describe my progress for the day: 1) The best laid schemes of mice and men often go awry, and the more direct 2) Two steps forward, One step back.

Tires, successfully mounted, waiting to carry the Jeep:

And better yet, successfully installed:

'twas getting dark when that picture was taken, I'll get better ones yet!

That was one of the two forward steps, the second forward step was installing the new alternator. There is a bracket on the alternator, that runs between two of the four studs on the back. On this new unit, I was momentarily put-off when I saw that the wire-mounting-stud was bent. Then I was further put off when I saw that the original part was shorter than this new blue piece, not allowing me to swap in the unbent original. Then I realized that the old part went across the "top" two studs, while this went along the side. Crisis averted, original part installed, new blue part set aside...

No alternator... (Yes, I have replaced the air filter...)

Alternator!

There will most certainly be a new witing harness making its way in to the Jeep at some point in time, but for this startup there is just the 47 year old harness. Between the age of the wires, the (hopefully) increased output of the new alternator, and the possibility of crossed wires (I labeled mine, but I have done worse) I figured a smoke watcher/fire extinguisher holder would be a good investment (my particular model is called "Helen").

Still not charging! So onto the voltage regulator, which is a special order part. Either it will solve my charging woes, or it will be a good replacement of a more than likely 47 year old electrical component. SO either way is fine by me, but I would like a charged battery, and to no longer have a net drain on the battery when the lights are on. About a weeks wait for that component, of course being the one step back.

So I broke even for the day?

Unread 06-03-2013, 01:45 PM   #38
84_Fiero

1966 FSJ Wagoneer 

I was going to do some work on the Jeep over the weekend, but I worked on a 40 year old Jacobsen push mower instead, definitely not time wasted! Small engines are my first mechanical love, I worked at a lawnmower repair shop in high school.

Anyways, plan for after work today will be to tear out the carpeting that Helen thoughtfully cleaned last week. My old Cherokee had perfect floorboards from the underneath when I first got it, but a year later they had vanished... Turns out the weather stripping had been leaking and rotted out the floors from the inside-out. I couldn't tell because of the carpeting. So out it will go from the Wagoneer to do some exploring and repairs as necessary.

Not 100% sure what I will do for a floor covering after everything gets fixed-up and painted though...

Unread 06-04-2013, 03:25 PM   #39
84_Fiero

1966 FSJ Wagoneer 

Well, we got the carpet all up yesterday. I have to say I am pleased with the condition of the floors (yeah, I'm from the rust-belt). I had to cut out, form, and weld in an entire new floor for my Cherokee, so this should be cake!

Ready for the big reveal...

It looks like the floor has already been patched by the throttle pedal. The darkened area had a lot of blisters, but feels solid after scraping them all off. Plus, it was moist under the carpet, so all the better reason to have taken it up!

The passenger side is worse, but still not awful. You can see the ground, but I think a 10" x 10" square of sheet metal should cover it nicely and get me back to good metal.

So all in all, I am quite content with the work I will have to do!

I'll see if I can dig-up a picture of what my Cherokee's floor looked like mid-way through the repair to show what a breath of fresh air this really is. I'll spend the next couple days with a flap wheel and wire brush cleaning everything up. Then decide exactly how to tackle the repairs, and what to use for a coating.

Unread 06-04-2013, 03:53 PM   #40
Sundowner
Scourge of Monkeys

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'll spend the next couple days with a flap wheel and wire brush cleaning everything up. Then decide exactly how to tackle the repairs, and what to use for a coating.
If you're going to go with a coating, then my vote would be for U-Pol's Raptor Liner or Al's Liner. Also, there's no reason to break your back with physical surface scuffing when you can use something like TSP for your surface prep; repair the sheet metal where needed, hit the worst of the remaining rust with the flap wheel and brush, and then degloss/etch the remaining paint.

Nice Wagoneer you're working on, by the way.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2013, 08:23 AM   #41
84_Fiero

1966 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
If you're going to go with a coating, then my vote would be for U-Pol's Raptor Liner or Al's Liner. Also, there's no reason to break your back with physical surface scuffing when you can use something like TSP for your surface prep; repair the sheet metal where needed, hit the worst of the remaining rust with the flap wheel and brush, and then degloss/etch the remaining paint.

Nice Wagoneer you're working on, by the way.
I've heard of Al's Liner before, after looking into it now I am definitely leaning in that direction, especially with your suggestion behind it! And TSP it seems so obvious now that it's been mentioned...

Thanks! I want to get it to a reliable, solid state and then look towards modifying it into more-or-less an expedition style vehicle.

Unread 06-06-2013, 08:27 AM   #42
84_Fiero

1966 FSJ Wagoneer 

I found the picture mid-way through my Cherokee floor repair, as promised. I had started adding some sheet metal back in at the front of the floor at this point, the only thing that I kept was the tranny tunnel (everything black is new metal). The Waggy is a show-car in comparison!! See the rust form my leaky weather stripping on the driver's side? No wonder it rotted out from the inside...

Unread 06-06-2013, 08:51 AM   #43
unlblkrubi
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Great project. My dad had one the first year they came out. looked just like yours. Surprised it still had the hubcaps, they are great looking.

Unread 06-06-2013, 08:58 AM   #44
Sundowner
Scourge of Monkeys

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I've heard of Al's Liner before, after looking into it now I am definitely leaning in that direction, especially with your suggestion behind it! And TSP it seems so obvious now that it's been mentioned...
Al's is a little under-the-radar on this forum, still...but I've seen a couple of installations and they're holding up impressively well. Raptor is probably faster/easier, but if I had to pick between the two I would opt with the former. As for the TSP...sometimes you have to go old-school. I see people work themselves to death trying to scuff their tub paint with sandpaper, and I can't see any reason to do that when there are so many good chemical etching/stripping/deglossing compounds available. Between TSP and a good wax/grease remover, you should have a beautiful surface without putting a ton of work into it.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2013, 01:43 PM   #45
84_Fiero

1966 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
...As for the TSP...sometimes you have to go old-school...
Quote:
I was going to do some work on the Jeep over the weekend, but I worked on a 40 year old Jacobsen push mower instead....
And I am definitely not opposed in the least bit to old school!

Tags
1966 , fsj , wagoneer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.