Nick's New 1966 Wagoneer Build - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Nick's New 1966 Wagoneer Build

Bds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockRubicon express discounts from oconee off-roadRing & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba

Unread 03-25-2013, 05:41 AM   #16
84_Fiero

1966 FSJ Wagoneer 

So I decided yesterday that the weathermen have not been right for the past few weeks, and the chances of it snowing overnight were about the same as they were every other day that it hasn't snowed. I swapped out my old dry rotted tires off the Wagoneer with the street tires off my brother's CJ7 (he's in the middle of a frame off restoration, he didn't need them anyways) and wanted to drive it to work.

Well, the weathermen were finally right, woke up with 3" on the jeep, not a whole lot, but I didn't want it to see any salt yet. Of course I also didn't want to change cars around in the driveway, so off to work it went! It performed flawlessly, had it cruising at 65, 50 psi of oil pressure and never got over 190 degrees! Hopefully I'll be able to expect the same for the ride home...

"Anything that is complex is not useful and anything that is useful is simple. This has been my whole life's motto." –Mikhail Kalashnikov

“And note that it behooves a good Workman to hammer his Work as true as he can; for one quarter of an hour spent at the forge, may save him an hours work at the vice.” Josheph Moxon “Mechanick Exercises” from the year 1703

Nick’s 1966 Wagoneer Build
84_Fiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2013, 08:55 AM   #17
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

more pics!

Quote:
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else!
Well I figured it up and over a period of time, This four thousand dollar car of mine, Cost fourteen thousand dollars And ninety-nine cents, well now!
- Jerry Reed

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2013, 03:19 PM   #18
84_Fiero

1966 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
more pics!
If you insist!

Not too bad while driving down a side-street, the engine warmed up to just around the 190 mark, and stayed there!

Here are the tires I borrowed from my brother, the maroon wheels are kinda growing on me, but I know I prefer the original white wheels with the dog dishes. I know, poor lighting, but it's Cleveland Ohio in the spring, this is what you get.

Patina? Speaking of Jeep logos though, I counted 5 from the drivers seat, 1 on the horn, 3 on the dash, and 1 on the throttle pedal.

Hmmm... The Waggy is about the same size as my S-10... Not sure about that one!

Beast!

Can't wait to go camping with it over the spring, summer, fall. I love the outdoors, so I can't say I'm really digging our weather right now. But that's Cleveland for you. For the rest of the week though it will be parked and resting.

Probably going to take the Pioneer head unit (someone was "clever" enough to put in and cut out the slot around the original radio for it) out over the weekend, along with the amp that is taking up my glove box, and the broken speakers in the doors. I have the original tape deck from my '96 Cherokee that says Jeep on it, so I figure that will be a better replacement for what is in there now.

That's not what you want to see...

"Anything that is complex is not useful and anything that is useful is simple. This has been my whole life's motto." –Mikhail Kalashnikov

“And note that it behooves a good Workman to hammer his Work as true as he can; for one quarter of an hour spent at the forge, may save him an hours work at the vice.” Josheph Moxon “Mechanick Exercises” from the year 1703

Unread 03-27-2013, 11:02 AM   #19
CherryCj7
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84_Fiero View Post

Here are the tires I borrowed from my brother, the maroon wheels are kinda growing on me, but I know I prefer the original white wheels with the dog dishes. I know, poor lighting, but it's Cleveland Ohio in the spring, this is what you get.

Those are some good looking tires you have there!!
CherryCj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2013, 07:39 PM   #20
tuhmayo
2000 TJ Wrangler 

love these jeeps! ill be waiting
Unread 03-29-2013, 07:15 PM   #21
84_Fiero

1966 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryCj7 View Post
Those are some good looking tires you have there!!
Thanks! Glad that you weren't planning on driving your CJ around for a while!

Unread 03-29-2013, 07:23 PM   #22
84_Fiero

1966 FSJ Wagoneer 

Well haven't touched the Jeep over the week, took it out to Willoughby Brewing last night, it's a great bar in Downtown Willoughby for those in the area who haven't been there. Actually it's a converted factory that one of the engineers I work with worked on the floor when it was still active. Tomorrow I will be tearing out the stereo and making a steel glove box.

Parked next to my Jeep's great-great-grandchild last night!

MMmmmm... Peanut Butter Cup Coffee porter!

Unread 03-29-2013, 07:43 PM   #23
ReconZJ

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84_Fiero View Post
Parked next to my Jeep's great-great-grandchild last night!
That's a great pic, glad you caught it. Looks like a nice waggy to start with!

gary
'72 240Z - in storage, needs everything
'02 S10 Xtreme - for sale soon
ReconZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2013, 07:31 PM   #24
84_Fiero

1966 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReconZJ View Post
That's a great pic, glad you caught it. Looks like a nice waggy to start with!

gary
Thanks!

Yeah my waggy has 44k on the odometer, so I had figured that it had rolled over once, but the more I look at this it looks like it really does only have 44k miles on it. So I think I got really lucky on this one!

Unread 03-30-2013, 07:45 PM   #25
84_Fiero

1966 FSJ Wagoneer 

So today was productive, but I was a little more lazy than I wanted to be today... I got the head unit and amp out, and began on working on the new steel glove box. The glove box got welded up and the paint is drying. It is a little rough around the edges, but I intend for it to straighten out once I mount it to the Jeep. But, that will be for tomorrow before I go to my parent's for Easter.

Before:

After:

I really hate messy wiring, I should literally sleep better tonight knowing this stuff is out of here!

Started into the glove box, I was fortunate enough to get the original cardboard one with the Jeep:

Template:

Best tool I've gotten from HF to date!

And ready for paint:

Unread 03-31-2013, 11:06 AM   #26
84_Fiero

1966 FSJ Wagoneer 

And, glovebox!

I put Gorilla Tape over the hinges (two pieces sticky side together so it doesn't stick to the hinges) so nothing will fall through the cracks, and I put RTV gasket maker between the box and the dash so it won't rattle around. I'm pleased with the outcome when the box is installed, not 100% satisfied with my works-man-ship of the box itself, but it cleans up in the Jeep well.

Also stuck the Cherokee radio in the hole, I will have to make some angled brackets to bolt to the top of the glove box and screw the radio too, also I have a pigtail for it coming so I'll be able to wire everything up. Looks better than the Pioneer unit that was in it. It would be nice if I could find an older looking radio sometime, but at least it is stock Jeep for now, plus there is a 6th place on the dash that says Jeep now!

Unread 04-09-2013, 08:02 PM   #27
84_Fiero

1966 FSJ Wagoneer 

So the weather finally warms up, and all I can do over the weekend is replace the clutch in my S-10. haha Hopefully I can do some work on the Wagoneer over this next one. I am going to start designing a roof rack for it over lunch at work for the rest of the week. Hopefully I'll have some models to show for my efforts sometime tomorrow! I'm trying to picture a roof rack with some lights on a stock Wagoneer, and I'm not like-ing what I see in my mind, so I'm thinking something "low profile", maybe with out side rails to start, and as time goes by I'll add rails to it. Or maybe removable rails depending on what the load dictates... I don't really know yet, just as long as I can put a deer or two on top (or more when my girl starts hunting) I'll be happy!

Unread 04-09-2013, 09:59 PM   #28
rusty762

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Nick my parents had a Wagoneer growing up I loved that rig. Cool find, I hope you give it some love and that it takes you on many adventures.

“If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I’d spend six sharpening my axe.”- Abraham Lincoln

My Build

My Videos

My Work

Have you hugged a Firefighter today?
rusty762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2013, 12:18 PM   #29
84_Fiero

1966 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty762 View Post
Nick my parents had a Wagoneer growing up I loved that rig. Cool find, I hope you give it some love and that it takes you on many adventures.
Thanks! Although I don't have much time behind the wheel of it, I can already tell it is the perfect base to do just that. Spent some time looking through your build thread as well, I am impressed. It makes me want to build one similar, definitely do not have the room though!

Unread 04-15-2013, 06:37 PM   #30
84_Fiero

1966 FSJ Wagoneer 

Well as luck would have it we got busy at work, so I haven't gotten a chance to really model a "revision 1" of the luggage rack I want to make. Definitely liking the idea of the removable side rails. Should have some time before the end of the week, of course I've said that before and been wrong...

Going to tear the interior out of it during the week, so I can fix any rust that I find over the weekend. Found a blue vinyl replacement flooring, which will return the color to original from the black that someone replaced everything with.

Forward progress will be made soon!!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.