New smittybilt gen 2 winches - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > New smittybilt gen 2 winches

The NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.comTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 03-29-2014, 03:11 PM   #1
chaddube
1987 YJ Wrangler 

New smittybilt gen 2 winches

Anyone heard anything about the new gen 2 smittybilt winches. They have not been released in the us yet but thought one of my fellow jeepers has an inside scoop?

chaddube is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2014, 08:09 AM   #2
taterhed
2005 LJ Wrangler 

the market has been strangely quiet.
Lots of ads and Sema coverage, but no product.

funny, huh?
taterhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2014, 10:34 AM   #3
chaddube
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by taterhed
the market has been strangely quiet. Lots of ads and Sema coverage, but no product. funny, huh?
Just ordered one. 10 k waterproof for only 399. Little overkill for my needs but go big or go home. Reps at 4 wheel say it hits Cali the first week of April and should ship 1-2 weeks later. Guess I'll update everyone when it gets here. Lifetime warranty can't beat that
Unread 04-30-2014, 12:08 PM   #4
Bskank
1999 TJ Wrangler 

After digging myself and some buddies out of the snow a couple weeks ago I picked up a Gen2 X20 10k comp series. This is my first winch and the install was pretty easy but I did remove the stickers from the winch since they looked cheesy and like they were going to come off anyway. The wireless remote feature and higher waterproof rating are the main reason I picked the X20 over the XRC.
Bskank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2014, 12:47 PM   #5
taterhed
2005 LJ Wrangler 

it didn't happen if there aren't any pictures!
Unread 04-30-2014, 01:00 PM   #6
Bskank
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by taterhed View Post
it didn't happen if there aren't any pictures!
Oh it happened!
image.jpg  
Unread 04-30-2014, 01:01 PM   #7
Bskank
1999 TJ Wrangler 

And again to me.
image.jpg  
Unread 04-30-2014, 01:07 PM   #8
Bskank
1999 TJ Wrangler 

So because of that this happened!
image.jpg  
Unread 04-30-2014, 01:26 PM   #9
taterhed
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Nice. The winch, not the downhill stuck in snow....

what light is that ? how mounted?

I'm probably right behind you. Just chicken on the winch. Waiting for a good review!
Unread 04-30-2014, 01:43 PM   #10
Walkersports
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by taterhed View Post
Nice. The winch, not the downhill stuck in snow....

what light is that ? how mounted?

I'm probably right behind you. Just chicken on the winch. Waiting for a good review!
Thinking about this one too.......
Walkersports is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2014, 01:50 PM   #11
Bskank
1999 TJ Wrangler 

JCR Dagger stubby pre-runner bumper, unknown 12" led mounted on the JCR winch fairlead led light bar mount. I just flipped the light bar legs around and it fit on the bracket perfect. Sorry about the dark pics.
image.jpg  
Unread 04-30-2014, 01:54 PM   #12
taterhed
2005 LJ Wrangler 

nice
Unread 05-02-2014, 09:00 PM   #13
yooperjeeper88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bskank View Post
So because of that this happened!
How well is the winch bilt? Been considering one since it came out. Heard a lot of mixed reviews on smittybilt though. And yes I know its made in China.
yooperjeeper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2014, 04:42 PM   #14
chaddube
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Built well. Pretty stout. Made in China but lifetime warranty and the rest of their products in my opinion are more than enough for what I do.
Unread 05-04-2014, 01:33 PM   #15
Bskank
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yooperjeeper88 View Post
How well is the winch bilt? Been considering one since it came out. Heard a lot of mixed reviews on smittybilt though. And yes I know its made in China.
I'm no winch expert as this is my first one. I used it for the first time yesterday, once for self recovery out of about three feet of slush snow, once to move a tree off the trail which was maybe 1,000 lbs and a couple of times to pull a buddies TJ out of the previously mentioned snow when the tow straps weren't long enough to reach and once out of a muddy ditch. The first few pulls I used the wireless remote option available on my X20 but when seated in the drivers seat it failed to pull consistently like the winch was losing the signal from the remote now and then. On the mud pull I wired the remote and it worked fine so maybe the wireless feature is just crap or is a line of sight type remote. Also a few times I had a tough time switching the clutch lever from engaged to free spool and vice versa. By turning the drum a little while engaged or pulling a little line in free spool mode i was then able to turn the lever.

As far as how well is the winch built I guess I would say it seems stout. When winching my buddy out of the mud I had my brakes applied and the winch was pulling me across a dirt road towards him and didn't bog at all but I would think a 10k winch should.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.