The new project... - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The new project...

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete Building a Bumper?

Unread 10-10-2010, 09:01 PM   #46
WillMcD
2004 WJ 

Looking forward to seeing this play out.

04 WJ Limited Black, 5.5" LA hybrid (IRO Trackbar, Teraflex Springs, Bilstein 5100/5125 Shocks, IRO Critical Path High Clearance LA's + KOR 3/4" spacers, JKS Disconnects) 32" Firestone Destination M/T's, JCR Stage 3 Sliders, Black Moabs, Muffler Delete, Hella 700ff's, Yakima Load Warrior

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]Phil:4:13: I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=billzcat;10933305]a lot of people waste their life playing FB games all day like Farmville, Cityville, Gangsterville, Hookersnblowville, Idonteffingcareville[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"][COLOR="Green"]August 2011 GCOTM Winner[/COLOR][/SIZE][/CENTER]

[SIZE="3"][CENTER]Build Thread:[/CENTER]
[CENTER][COLOR="Red"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/04-wj-college-build-willmcd-1050247/#post9619953"]04 WJ College Build-WillMcD[/URL][/COLOR][/CENTER][/SIZE]
WillMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2010, 03:37 PM   #47
pmccoy9876
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97tjeff View Post
JK44's are much stronger. Essentially, they're mini Dana 60's. I have a buddy that runs them with 37" mtr's and chromo shafts in a jk unlimited rubi. he's not nice to it at all and they've held up amazingly.
haha, I'm guessing that'd be Mike? What made you choose the JK44 though, over any other axle, especially since you bought them new, only to cut off all the brackets? What kinds of advantages/disadvantages over, say, a HP 44 or waggy axles did you take into account?
Are you insane? Do you have any idea how many slip-and-fall accidents are caused by carelessly discarded banana peels? This is a crime of Vaudevillian proportions and must not be tolerated in a civilized society.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanCJ2A View Post
I have no input of any value to this thread but those are awesome.
'No Solution' Build Thread
pmccoy9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2010, 04:09 PM   #48
97tjeff
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmccoy9876 View Post
haha, I'm guessing that'd be Mike?
Oh, Phil....you've never even wheeled with me and you already know me.....
97tjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2010, 06:58 PM   #49
Xerxes
1999 TJ Wrangler 

this thing looks freakin awesome. I will be watching this. And i rarely go on JF anymore so thats saying a lot

|::Sahara Owner::|
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2010, 08:20 PM   #50
red88MJ
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
haha, I'm guessing that'd be Mike? What made you choose the JK44 though, over any other axle, especially since you bought them new, only to cut off all the brackets? What kinds of advantages/disadvantages over, say, a HP 44 or waggy axles did you take into account?
The JK Dana 44's are a lot stronger then the TJ/LJ Dana 44's as long as you brace the upper part of the C's in the front. The gears are bigger, tubes are thicker, shafts are stronger the whole 9. The front I just got a used housing, unit bearings are bigger, and the beadlocks I had a line on were 5x5 bolt pattern so it worked out nice. Three main reasons I picked the JK Dana 44's over the TJ/LJ Dana 44's is that the brakes are much larger (easy to stop my 37's), they are wider then TJ/LJ 44's but are not full widths, and they come with e-lockers factory. So the rear JK rubicon 44 I bought new already had the factory e-locker in it for $1600 complete caliper to caliper. That means I buy gears and an install kit and have a brand new 4.10 ring and pinion to sell.

If I was going to put anything else under it axle wise it would have been 60's but I didnt want full widths, and the pumpkin would be like right under my frame rail and I didnt want to have run a big lift or limit my up travel to almost nothing with bumpstops, and everything for 60's (gears, locker, shafts and so on) cost a twice as much as JK stuff. Also 60's would cut my ground clearance down a lot.

MY LJ BUILD... http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/new-project-1066918/
red88MJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2010, 08:29 PM   #51
pmccoy9876
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Ok, that all makes pretty good sense. Correct me if I didn't read that right, but you're saying the ring and pinion are a different size than a standard D44?
Are you insane? Do you have any idea how many slip-and-fall accidents are caused by carelessly discarded banana peels? This is a crime of Vaudevillian proportions and must not be tolerated in a civilized society.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanCJ2A View Post
I have no input of any value to this thread but those are awesome.
'No Solution' Build Thread
pmccoy9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2010, 10:27 PM   #52
BallerJeep
2003 TJ Wrangler 

bad-a.....
Unread 10-11-2010, 10:47 PM   #53
red88MJ
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Ok, that all makes pretty good sense. Correct me if I didn't read that right, but you're saying the ring and pinion are a different size than a standard D44?
Yes the pinion is deffinitly different, the ring gear I'm not possitive yes or no but I would have to imagine it is also.

Jeep Wrangler JK TJ Dana 44 Axles - 4Wheel & Off-Road Magazine

OLD 44's VS JK
Position - Low Pinion VS High Pinion
Pinion Shaft Max Diam - 1.375" VS 1.625"
Pinion Shaft Min Diam - 1.125 VS 1.375 (compare that to the old max!)
Pinion Diam - 1.12 VS 1.25
Inner Bearing Diam - 3.0 VS 3.25
Outer Bearing Diam - 2.87 VS 2.85
Carrier Bearing Diam - 3.265 VS 3.313
Axle u-joint - 1310 VS 1350
Tube Diam & Wall - 2.5X.025 VS 2.5X.025
(Some 44's do have as large as 2.76x.375 or as small as 2.0x.025)

Unread 10-12-2010, 02:57 PM   #54
j_bydesign

2004 TJ Wrangler 

you want to turn those CBs (cinderblocks) so that the holes are up and put a 2x8 on top... I have had to pick up an ugly mess from a guy who had one crack and brake while supporting his CJ... it was real shame he had just gotten the tube back from the paint shop...

looks like your LJ is going to be a pretty solid rig! I hooked...

'04 TJ... '65 CJ5(sold :( )... 89' Int. Harvester Toter!
j_bydesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2010, 10:50 PM   #55
red88MJ
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Just a little update...

The front e-locker came in today thanks to Brian Stewart @ 4WD.COM.

And I got my custom Rock Krawler framerails all cleaned up to powdercoat tomorrow.

I tore my rear axle apart over the weekend and started setting up the gears but something came up and I had to take off. So this weekend seeing that I have everything I need for both my axles I should be throwing them back together.

Unread 10-14-2010, 01:34 AM   #56
Lo2aY
Spider LJ

2005 LJ Wrangler 

very nice.. I like the frame rails.. are they aluminum? if not how much do they weigh you think?

what's up with the e-locker? why not an air compressed locker? your disappointing me brother
lol

still watching

LJ Build thread - Spider

TJ Build thread - Chinook

JK Build thread (soon)

J8 Build thread (soon)

Brute Build thread (soon)
Quote:
This hobby is not about who can shop the best, it's about creating things that did not exist before. It's about giving a machine a soul and making it an extention of your persona.

There is always someone who can spend more than you can. Don't measure your self worth against others. You can create, you can be fast and you can fail. It's all part of life.
Lo2aY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2010, 06:00 AM   #57
pizzle
2008 JK Wrangler 

Subscribed

I admire folks that can tear up a "perfectly good" ride, to make it into something "perfectly awesome"!

I'm not a welder, so this question may be stupid but....

How did you ensure all the **** you needed to weld onto the axle was put on perfectly true? I mean, if something were off by just a little bit wouldn't that possibly make for some pretty bad vibes at the least, or failures at worst? Or is it just a case of "it's close enough"?

Good luck!
pizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2010, 08:14 PM   #58
red88MJ
2005 LJ Wrangler 

The frame rails are deffinitly not aluminum at 40 lbs a piece lol, and as for locker i hate air lines. I want to hit the switch and call it a day. I've seen a few buddys of mine always playing with their air lockers wether it be leaking lines or other stuff. And my e-locker is cheaper.

As for welding the cradle and the control arm mounts ect. onto the axles its rather simple, If you know your way around a tape measure and an angle finder its pretty easy. Also in a setup like mine (rear triangulated 4 link) you can fine tune the pinion angle, center the axle under the vehicle and so on just by knowing how to adjust the control arms accordingly. No guess work involved.

Unread 10-15-2010, 06:21 AM   #59
gyrene
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_bydesign View Post
you want to turn those CBs (cinderblocks) so that the holes are up and put a 2x8 on top... I have had to pick up an ugly mess from a guy who had one crack and brake while supporting his CJ... it was real shame he had just gotten the tube back from the paint shop...

looks like your LJ is going to be a pretty solid rig! I hooked...
x2 on turning those cinderblocks.....I've known lot's of people who have used them like you are (including myself) and haven't had a problem with them breaking. But, they aren't designed to have weight applied to them like that.

Great build you have going here definatly can't wait to see this finished.
Quick question on the XJ....how did you like the OR Fab front bumper?
I really like the looks of those and would like to put one on my Cherokee.
gyrene is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2010, 10:25 AM   #60
joshr1987

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Sick build, liked your old xj too!
joshr1987 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.