New here, 05 LJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > New here, 05 LJ

NEW Smittybilt Gen 2 9.5 winch at JeepHut.comEnd of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 09-03-2013, 07:13 PM   #1
ssm05rsx

New here, 05 LJ

Hey everyone, I'm new here. My best friend had a YJ and always made me want a Jeep since then. He sold it and just recently got a hold of a CJ3B.

His CJ3B.

So now here is my 05 LJ.

I bought it used, it already had a 3" lift on it, 33" tires and the Bumpers. I didn't even have it a week and I put on the Bushwacker Fender Flares and the Third Brake Light in the rear tire.

I normally never buy a modded vehicle but this one was in great shape, engine bay is clean as hell, low mileage, a great price, and I wanted an LJ (Also wanted it for the D44 rear). The color grew on me, I really like it now and have big thoughts/mods for the Jeep. I bought it to have fun in and to have a sick vehicle to take snowboarding, because I took my other car snowboarding and I basically used my expensive front lip as a snow plow... It was effective but made me cringe..

I'd like to eventually paint the hardtop black if I ever get time.

Now I have some experience in cars, where many of you would probably bash me for it. As the Jeep is an american car and my other car is .. not. I installed every mod into the car myself, also have experience painting too.. no.. not 'rattle canning' ****.

My other car is a 2006 Acura TSX, modified with all parts from Japan. Authentic Mugen Lip kit, and multiple more Japanese names you all don't care about haha.
This picture is when I first got it and wanted to wash both vehicles.

What you can get from this ^ is that I only buy quality parts. Buy right the first time.

Now.. I honestly have no idea what lift is on the Jeep, and if someone would be kind to help me determine if it is a quality part, I'll post pictures of the suspension. It doesn't have any quick disconnect end links. I don't no much about Jeeps and really want to learn, I've already found quite a lot of information on the forums.

My wallet is quite scared and is screaming at me as I bought another vehicle that is fun to throw money at...

Future Mod's
- Body Armor, - Most likely ordered by next paycheck.
- More lights/Fog lights
- Power windows?
- Power locks?

If you are going to say something negative, just click God Mode before you do so you are prepared.
God Mode: Alt+F4
If you have a Mac, Command+Q

Do you guys have any Mod Suggestions?

-Dan

ssm05rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2013, 09:03 AM   #2
Lastshot
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Nice looking LJ and Welcome to JF! I just picked up an '05 Silver LJ a few weeks back myself (I almost got a tan one) and one of the first mods I did was Paint the hardtop Black. You can click the link in my Sig if you wanna see how that came out. Also, if you are going for the black and Tan look, you may want to look into painting the headlight bezels & ring black, Simple cheap mod that might be the look you are lookin for.

Welcome to the Cult...I mean club Be sure to wave and Happy Jeepin!
gily25 Says...
Issues only become problems when you don't have the tools or time to fix it.
Mike318 Says...
I like my 4.0L like I like my ****... stroked and blown. :duhrock:
Lastshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2013, 11:40 AM   #3
ssm05rsx

Hey Lastshot, I'll definitely bookmark your page. I actually have plans to paint the front grille/headlight chrome bezels' flat black. I HATE chrome. Does the grille come out or is it easier just to mask off panels and paint it on the Jeep?
Unread 09-04-2013, 11:43 AM   #4
ssm05rsx

Really like the two toned hood, I might copy that and get rid of some scratches with Plastidip. If it eventually peels off it peels off, oh well haha.
Unread 09-04-2013, 02:45 PM   #5
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

From one LJ owner to another, please leave the plastidipping to the JK crowd.

If you have not taken the door off and top and drove around, I would do that first. It will show you how different it is coming from the import world.... As to what to mod first, GO WHEELING with some locals from a club or park. When you wheel, it will become evident on what NEEDS upgrading. Does the jeep drive well now? How is it on the highway?

And...
Future Mod's
- Body Armor, - good everyone needs it. I would start by replacing the front, rear bumpers and the sliders. Those tube bars will not hold up offroad.
- More lights/Fog lights - Cool. I guess you plan on night wheeling. Look into LEDs and HIDs and start there with a lot of research
- Power windows? - haha
- Power locks? - haha, remove the door and carry nothing valuable in the jeep and you will not have these thoughts.

and most importantly, welcome to jeeping. Now go wheeling.
Unread 09-04-2013, 02:58 PM   #6
tree33
1998 TJ Wrangler 

power windows just add weight to your doors when pulling them off and to be honest i don't know of a company off hand that makes power windows for a wrangler. as for power locks, mine came with it because the P.O. installed an aftermarket alarm which i like and hate. The signal is not strong enough to shut the alarm off every time. try to get some pics so we can help figure out what lift is on it and most important thing is welcome to the jeep family.
98 Tj Sahara "Sahara Club #49"
RIP=92 Yj
LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!
tree33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2013, 02:59 PM   #7
tree33
1998 TJ Wrangler 

and just saw you are in wv so get out and enjoy the weather before it gets out of topless weather.
98 Tj Sahara "Sahara Club #49"
RIP=92 Yj
LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!
tree33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2013, 09:26 AM   #8
ssm05rsx

Thanks for the comments guys,

The weight of the door locks really doesn't bother me, I'm just lazy and would prefer power locks. Power windows aren't needed I just figured, Ah what the hell why not..
I know its against the Jeep thing, but I like that luxury. This is in low priority for my mod-list.

The Tubes will be replaced once I get some money, first have to pay for my girls bills until she finds a job out here.

I need to take the top off, most likely will do that this weekend, just I have no place to put it at my apartment so I need a friend to help me take it off and on. I was going to build my own pulley system in the garage of my apartment complex but I don't think they'd like that too much... The ceiling of the garage has that popcorn ceiling crap in this weird stupid pattern.. It would be hard to repair after I move out.
Unread 09-05-2013, 01:22 PM   #9
Lastshot
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssm05rsx View Post
Hey Lastshot, I'll definitely bookmark your page. I actually have plans to paint the front grille/headlight chrome bezels' flat black. I HATE chrome. Does the grille come out or is it easier just to mask off panels and paint it on the Jeep?

The grill doesn't come off easily, I just taped far in along side the fenders and was careful while peeling off the tape (must be done while wet). I wasn't going to do the entire grill on mine, but once I pulled off the chrome piece, there was rusted paint underneath, so I decided to dip the whole thing!

In the end, do the jeep how you want it done and how it makes you happy, but don't always expect everyone to have the same opinion
gily25 Says...
Issues only become problems when you don't have the tools or time to fix it.
Mike318 Says...
I like my 4.0L like I like my ****... stroked and blown. :duhrock:
Lastshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2013, 10:01 AM   #10
ssm05rsx

Oh trust me I understand that haha, I've been part of many Honda/Acura forums, and they are pretty rough, partially because the ricers don't know they are even saying
Unread 09-06-2013, 10:26 AM   #11
markb76132
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I would be careful about using flat black. The po of my jeep had flat black wheels I think they look dirty most of the time. I used matte black for all the black on my jeep and I am much happier with that look. You can check out pics in my build thread.

Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/j...build-1500445/
markb76132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2014, 06:43 PM   #12
ssm05rsx

Update:

Bought a soft top for the summer - Rampage Frameless.

I would like to go off roading, but no room for a winch on the current bumper.
So I purchased an Aluminum Bumper.

It still isn't installed yet, as the stock sway bar needs to be replaced first.

So I ordered a Currie AntiRock Front Sway Bar.
.... It came in today... but it didn't have all the parts so I now need to wait til Friday to install the sway bar and bumper...

Eventually when I get some spare cash I'll order new tires. Looking at the Cooper Discoverer STT's. Probably sticking with the 33" tires for now as I don't want to change the gears yet. Then I will purchase a Winch. Currently looking at the Quadratec Q9500 with the Synthetic rope

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.