New Guy Unlimited build progression. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > New Guy Unlimited build progression.

XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 11-20-2009, 05:59 PM   #1
lockedupLJ

New Guy Unlimited build progression.

New to the site, seen a few build threads here for the 2004-2006 Unlimiteds. I figured I'd throw mine up.

I'll be showing the progression from build 1 through current status.

Build 1:
Skyjacker 4" suspension, 2" body
35x14.50.15 S/S SSR's on 15x12 M/T classic II wheels.

lockedupLJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2009, 06:50 AM   #2
lockedupLJ

OK, now onto build 2.
Poison spyder tube fenders, crusher corners, 4.88 gears, loc-rite locker fr/powertrax rear, alloy usa shafts and rear, 37" Boggers and 10" wide soft 8 rims.

At this point I wheeled it a few times, and every time I took it out I would break a U-Joint.

Unread 11-21-2009, 07:14 AM   #3
lockedupLJ

OK, hopefully this goes in the right order.

Build 3:

So after MANY broken U-joints, I decided it was time to go all out!!!!!!! I pulled the suspension lift, wheel, tires, and axles out and went to posting on the internet. I had EVERYTHING sold from it within 3 days. (Back when the economy was good)

So with a bunch of cash in hand, I set on a search for a 78-79 Ford HP60 front and a 14 bolt for the rear. I was stationed in Va Beach at the time and found a smoking deal on a complete stock housing in NJ. Luckily my wife had just given birth to our daughter so I was on baby leave. ROAD TRIP

Got the axle back home, did a complete rebuild including kingpins, bearings, seals, races, and loaded it with 5.13:1 YUKON gears and welded up the spider gears.

Order all the coil buckets and link brackets from Ballistic Fabrication and Ruff Stuff specialties, then went to welding.

Found a cheap 14 bolt that someone bought 5.13's for, along with a Detroit locker and install kit, picked it up and started linking it also. Decided to shed a few pounds from it and did a disk brake swap using cadi callipers and 3/4 ton chevy rotors.

Unread 11-21-2009, 07:27 AM   #4
lockedupLJ

Soooo, I made three rides like this. Tellico, Raush Creek, and Big dogs in Gore, VA. Decided I really wanted/needed beadlocks...

Unread 11-21-2009, 07:44 AM   #5
lockedupLJ

Well, things happen for a reason right????? The U.S. NAVY decided they wanted my a$$ in Bahrain for a year. I went wheeling 1 time with the new wheels and tires, Crozet VA.

I made a decision to take it down to Essentially Offroad in Murfreesboro, TN.

It really needed a full cage, and the four links redone the "right way"

Jimmy did a great job with it, triangulated 4 links front and rear using 7075 solid bar, full cage through the dash and tied to frame, and most importantly removed the god awful body lift.

So that pretty much brings it up to date. Really haven't had the chance to go wheeling much, although I did take it to Disney, OK. No pictures of that though. What ya think??????
Unread 11-21-2009, 05:55 PM   #6
MisterO

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedupLJ View Post
New to the site, seen a few build threads here for the 2004-2006 Unlimiteds. I figured I'd throw mine up.

I'll be showing the progression from build 1 through current status.

Build 1:
Skyjacker 4" suspension, 2" body
35x14.50.15 S/S SSR's on 15x12 M/T classic II wheels.

Click Free #1
MisterO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2009, 05:56 PM   #7
MisterO

Quote:
OK, now onto build 2.
Poison spyder tube fenders, crusher corners, 4.88 gears, loc-rite locker fr/powertrax rear, alloy usa shafts and rear, 37" Boggers and 10" wide soft 8 rims.

At this point I wheeled it a few times, and every time I took it out I would break a U-Joint.

Click Free #2
Unread 11-21-2009, 05:56 PM   #8
MisterO

Quote:
OK, hopefully this goes in the right order.

Build 3:

So after MANY broken U-joints, I decided it was time to go all out!!!!!!! I pulled the suspension lift, wheel, tires, and axles out and went to posting on the internet. I had EVERYTHING sold from it within 3 days. (Back when the economy was good)

So with a bunch of cash in hand, I set on a search for a 78-79 Ford HP60 front and a 14 bolt for the rear. I was stationed in Va Beach at the time and found a smoking deal on a complete stock housing in NJ. Luckily my wife had just given birth to our daughter so I was on baby leave. ROAD TRIP

Got the axle back home, did a complete rebuild including kingpins, bearings, seals, races, and loaded it with 5.13:1 YUKON gears and welded up the spider gears.

Order all the coil buckets and link brackets from Ballistic Fabrication and Ruff Stuff specialties, then went to welding.

Found a cheap 14 bolt that someone bought 5.13's for, along with a Detroit locker and install kit, picked it up and started linking it also. Decided to shed a few pounds from it and did a disk brake swap using cadi callipers and 3/4 ton chevy rotors.

Click Free #3
Unread 11-21-2009, 05:56 PM   #9
MisterO

Quote:
Soooo, I made three rides like this. Tellico, Raush Creek, and Big dogs in Gore, VA. Decided I really wanted/needed beadlocks...

Click Free #4
Unread 11-21-2009, 05:57 PM   #10
MisterO

Quote:
Well, things happen for a reason right????? The U.S. NAVY decided they wanted my a$$ in Bahrain for a year. I went wheeling 1 time with the new wheels and tires, Crozet VA.

I made a decision to take it down to Essentially Offroad in Murfreesboro, TN.

It really needed a full cage, and the four links redone the "right way"

Jimmy did a great job with it, triangulated 4 links front and rear using 7075 solid bar, full cage through the dash and tied to frame, and most importantly removed the god awful body lift.

So that pretty much brings it up to date. Really haven't had the chance to go wheeling much, although I did take it to Disney, OK. No pictures of that though. What ya think??????
Click Free #5
Unread 11-21-2009, 05:59 PM   #11
MisterO

Now For my response.. WOW!!! thats jeep is huge and built awesome!!

All i can think of is , hmm im shocked you dont have Rocker guards and still stock tranny skid..,
Unread 11-22-2009, 12:14 AM   #12
lockedupLJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongJeep04 View Post
Now For my response.. WOW!!! thats jeep is huge and built awesome!!

All i can think of is , hmm im shocked you dont have Rocker guards and still stock tranny skid..,
Yeahhhhh, I know. my brother and all my friends run buggys, and their always b!tch!n about how pretty it is and how I need to do this and this & that. The BIGGEST problem is, I'm now married, 2 kiddos, and life is taking its toll. I really haven't had the money to finish it how I want to.

The way I look at it is, I am having WAY more fun with the babies the way it is, vs. me spending more money we really don't have right now and letting it sit. Ya know what I mean????

I have it for sale, (not trying to pimp it here), so I can build a cheap rock buggy we can do the same thing in. (for cheaper)
Unread 11-22-2009, 12:28 PM   #13
1997_Sport
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Damn, thats a ****ing sick *** LJ dude, keep up the work.
Unread 11-22-2009, 05:11 PM   #14
jkl
2005 LJ Wrangler 

That thing is freakin sick!

'13 10th Anniversary Unlimited Rubi
'05 LJ on 35s
1 Ton XJ on 40s...went up in flames :(
1 Ton Scrambler Build Thread:"Project Taildragger"
...now parting out
jkl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2009, 05:26 PM   #15
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Keep it. You'll regret selling it.
Imped is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.