New guy with a 1996 Grand Cherokee! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > New guy with a 1996 Grand Cherokee!

Coil Spring Options from Ruffstuff!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREEThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 12-13-2008, 05:55 PM   #1
JeepeBago
1996 ZJ 

New guy with a 1996 Grand Cherokee!

Hi Everyone,
I'm new to the forum, and the day before yesterday I picked up a 1996 Grand Cherokee Laredo. It's a great looking truck, with a few issues that I hope you folks can help me sort out.

I've posted some pictures below. I look forward to meeting you folks, and thanks for having me aboard!!

Cheers,
Adam

First night I brought it home:

A little dirtier now! The old owner just moved from Manitoba and was nice enough to lend his plates and insurance until I got it home!

I traded a car originally intended for my wife for the Jeep!

I figured our household didn't need two Supercharged Bonneville SSEi's.
This is my green one that my wife will drive instead once she gets her licence.

JeepeBago is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2008, 06:35 PM   #2
Dillonzj
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepeBago View Post
Hi Everyone,
I'm new to the forum, and the day before yesterday I picked up a 1996 Grand Cherokee Laredo. It's a great looking truck, with a few issues that I hope you folks can help me sort out.

I've posted some pictures below. I look forward to meeting you folks, and thanks for having me aboard!!

Cheers,
Adam

First night I brought it home:

A little dirtier now! The old owner just moved from Manitoba and was nice enough to lend his plates and insurance until I got it home!

I traded a car originally intended for my wife for the Jeep!

I figured our household didn't need two Supercharged Bonneville SSEi's.
This is my green one that my wife will drive instead once she gets her licence.

Click Free

Crane Cam shaft and Crane, Roller Rockers, bored .030 over, edelbrock performer heads, M1 Intake manifold, Fasstman throttle body, magnacore wires, platinum plugs, K&N FIPK, dough thorley headers,3" high flow cat, 3" magnaflow mandrel bent exhaust, SCT tuned

***future mods -5.5 IRO LA - KOR sliders -KOR roof rack -

SOLD-
95' JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE LIMITED
188k 5.2L v8 White 98 ZJ rims

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashmd454 View Post
...we all know they empty our pockets...yet they fill our hearts...

MY BUILD THREAD
Dillonzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2008, 07:15 PM   #3
WranglerRush
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Looks good, you don't see many red ZJ's. One question though, you said your wife doesn't have a license? I hope you mean she lost it and not that you married a 15 year old.
Unread 12-13-2008, 07:18 PM   #4
DothanJeep
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WranglerRush View Post
Looks good, you don't see many red ZJ's. One question though, you said your wife doesn't have a license? I hope you mean she lost it and not that you married a 15 year old.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Nice Jeep man!
01'WJ Project Cheap fix.
DothanJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2008, 10:14 PM   #5
JeepeBago
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WranglerRush View Post
HA! I just shot coffee out of my nose.
No, she's 34. She never got around to getting her licence as of yet. (I don't understand either...)

Man, when I was turning 16, I was chomping at the bit to get mine!

Thanks for the props. Yes, I wish there were more red ones around for parts finds!

Adam
JeepeBago is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2008, 10:30 PM   #6
beneharris
1995 XJ Cherokee 

that red looks really awesome. what are your plans for it
beneharris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2008, 08:22 PM   #7
JeepeBago
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beneharis View Post
that red looks really awesome. what are your plans for it
Hmm. None really. I just want something that will be safe in inclement weather to haul me, my wife and two young children around! It'll be nice to have more cargo area for groceries and kid stuff. Also, my wife and I enjoy camping, so we can fold down the rear seats, throw in a mattress, pull out the cooler and enjoy.

I'm hopeful it turns out to be a good truck that we can enjoy, and I will vow to look after it in turn.

Does anyone have maintenance tips they can share, or point me to a thread? I've noticed some oil around the diff. plugs. Is this normal?

I can't believe how good the body is on it. It came from Manitoba. Out there they use sand on the roads, not salt like here in Ontario. I will have it underoiled to help protect its looks.

I'm looking forward to taking my son down some secret trails in the nice weather to find the good fishing spots!

Cheers,
Adam
Unread 12-14-2008, 08:35 PM   #8
beneharris
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepeBago View Post

Does anyone have maintenance tips they can share, or point me to a thread? I've noticed some oil around the diff. plugs. Is this normal?

mine is really bad about burning oil, so i would keep an eye on that. just keep it filled, and it should keep going for a while
beneharris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2008, 12:22 PM   #9
JeepeBago
1996 ZJ 

Hey All!
She's on the road now! The garage fixed up the drivers door, and it passed a safety no problem. He recommends front tires soon, and I need to remove the locking wheel nuts, as the old owner did not send the key. He has a tool to remove them, and he'll put on the nuts found in the trunk pouch, so I can service a wheel if I get a flat. Then, it will pass the safety. Pretty minor! Glad the door is fixed! I love this thing so far!!
Lots of snow in Southern Ontario last night. I drove to work today in Full Time 4WD and felt very secure. I know 4WD's aren't invincible, and have their limits, but it is reassuring none the less.

Cheers!
Adam
Unread 09-07-2012, 08:13 AM   #10
woods9898
1995 XJ Cherokee 

take it to the course and mud her up
woods9898 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.