New Beginnings by Kruzer - JeepForum.com

77Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 479 Old 07-31-2014, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
cKruzer
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Project SpeedBump | Full Frame Off Resto V8 LS Swap

This is my Frankenstein build. Goal is a mild off-road rig that can be also be used to kruze the highway to the beach, or enjoy mountain views from dirt roads with the family. Then of course some weekend warrior fun. Once all the new paint is scratched enough Ill move on to phase 2 and start really hitting the bigger trails.

Phase 1: 79 F250 D44/D60, 4.88s, 37s, 5.3 sbc, xj Ax15, tj np231

Phase 2: trussed + rcv d44, tbd tcase, and a wizard's tranny

Phase 3: 40s

Temporary lift - RC 2.5 - Click Here
Durango Box Swap - Click Here
Windshield Bracket Replace - Click Here
YJ Dewire (Prior to Ripping it All Out lol) - Click Here
RMS Replace - Click Here
Custom Flat Dash Arrival - Click Here
EZ Wire Harness Kit, HEI Install - Click Here
Custom Flat Dash Install - Click Here

D44 Arrival, Begin Dismantle - Click Here
D44 Bracket Cutoff, Primed - Click Here
D60 Dismantle Begin - Click Here
Some Sweet Axle Part Purchases - Click Here
Frame Clean & Paint Begin - Click Here

Tcase Dismantle - Click Here
Novak Mounts Welded On - Click Here
Tcase Rebuild - Click Here
Axle Install - Click Here
Knuckle/Hub&Rotor/Brake Install - Click Here
Rolling Chassis - Click Here
Flywheel/Clutch/Engine Install - Click Here

1987 Frankenstein Street Queen.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Target: 5.3L; AX15; NP231; D44/D60; 4.88s; 36s

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

הָיָה הָיָה הָיָה
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 479 Old 07-31-2014, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
cKruzer
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Ok. So located a Canadian YJ. Almost minimal rust. Too good to be true. All thanks to God on that one. She is pretty cosmeticlly sound. Lots of TLC love needs to be given though to restore the "new car scent". Will post some pics after this so we have a good starting point.

lots of plans. some pipe dreams, some realistic. will see how it goes!
post #3 of 479 Old 07-31-2014, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
cKruzer
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
You can see here that the jeep came with a hard top and full doors. Tossing those to the bro and getting soft and half doors The shackle lift gives enough room for those 31's but man, they are abusing those poor worn out springs.
Attached Thumbnails
photo 1.JPG   photo 2.JPG   photo 3.JPG   photo 4.JPG  

post #4 of 479 Old 07-31-2014, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
cKruzer
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
It can be seen here where she parks that there are some leaks. The diff in front and back have a slow drip. Will change fluids while at it. There is a oil like from the oil pan and the bell housing in addition to the valve cover. Believe the valve cover is blowing oil out possibly from fouled PCV in addition to the some of the hoses in the valve cover having no grommets... easy leaks. The valve gasket may need replacing. Those fixed, in addition to the rtv fail on the oil pan gasket, i believe it will solve all the problems. The oil on the bell housing must be from all the other, otherwise I will have to pull that off and take a look at the crank seal (yep it was the rms).
Attached Thumbnails
photo 24.JPG  
post #5 of 479 Old 07-31-2014, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
cKruzer
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Here is the engine bay. Yikes! Look at that wiring nightmare. Looks like previous owner may have had some lights installed and butchered the harness to find a 12v line. i dont know. Ugh. This makes me itch uncontrollably, lol, so as soon as possible will need to install a new harness for the whole chassis. Need to decide if I will do that when the tub comes off (and i restore the frame and everything else on the chassis) or do it ahead of time. Smart is to wait. Will prob wait. (nope, i didnt wait)

If you notice, you can see the oil leak on the valve cover. The brake system needs some serious TLC. Really, the whole deal will get a makeover once the tub is removed. and get that firewall looking prettyThat is slated for later on. First steps are to make it not an embarassment to drive! Also for a 1987, there really is just too much "going on" in this engine bay for comfort. The hoses need to be re-routed and the whole thing cleaned up and made more efficient. and not a big fan of how emissions clutters the engine bay.

When the tub comes off, its getting a new paint job. Will end up ripping out the windshield washer pump and fluid tank. The battery bay needs some clean up and new welds. That will have to happen. The firewall is rust free but needs some por15/enamel touch up. You will see in the last picture that a new radiator is needed. This one is falling apart. Already ordered the new radiator.
Attached Thumbnails
photo 31.JPG   photo 41.JPG   photo 51.JPG   photo 21.JPG  
post #6 of 479 Old 07-31-2014, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
cKruzer
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Well that will be it for tonight. I could show you her underwear, let you see how little crust there is, but i will wait for the tub-off day for that. (There is always more rust than you THINK!) Interior is dirty but i will post a pic below so you have starting point on the interior tub. Its dirty, but no holes and freshly painted with a cheapo rattle can bedliner. Gunna need to order a drum of MEK before laying the Monsta.
Attached Thumbnails
photo 42.JPG  
post #7 of 479 Old 08-11-2014, 05:01 AM Thread Starter
cKruzer
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Got some half doors in. Painted them white with some gloss. I know it doesnt match, but its something for now. Eventually the whole tub will have to come off and everything get a body/paint makeover, so not too worried about the to two different whites. It was difficult getting the drivers side door to align. Either a really funky door or a a slightly twisted tub.... something. Barely works, and only "without" weather stripping.

Touched up the inner door panels on it too.

post #8 of 479 Old 08-11-2014, 05:04 AM Thread Starter
cKruzer
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Soft top came in! And brand new hardware for it. Finally no more hardtop. Not fun stretching new soft top for the first time. But I managed.

dadzrig likes this.
post #9 of 479 Old 08-11-2014, 05:10 AM Thread Starter
cKruzer
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Did the nutter bypass. It does not seem like it needs the timing readjusted. I decided not to tear apart the loom any more, as it may have just sparked the fire to tear it all out. (ocd much?). So took some wire and twisted it up with the drill and wrapped the whole thing in electrical tape. Worked like a champ.
post #10 of 479 Old 08-11-2014, 05:16 AM Thread Starter
cKruzer
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Ripped out Windshield washer pump/tank and radiator overflow. Got down to the vapor canister. That sucker is going out too. Will eventually replace the windshield gismo with an aftermarket one and an aluminum cylinder tank. Replacing radiator overflow with aluminum one (smaller less ugly, etc) and new radiator arrived. Vapor cannister is getting chucked - yanked out almost all the vaccum lines, and going to install an aftermarket gas cap with a pressure regulator in it (= no need for charcoal for gas fumes).

i think I might install the wiring harness before doing the lift (cringe), mainly because doing the lift is going to require without a doubt to weld on new rear upper shock mounts. Im dreading going near the body mounts.... which means might as well lift the body off completely? Will see how it goes...

Next (immediate) on the to-do list (in order):

Change all fluids. (Fluids purchased)
New Radiator/Thermo (Purchased)
Install HEI distro w/ new plugs
Install new brake lines (all flex)
Install Wiring Kit
Order RC 2.5" Leaf Springs w/ HD Shackles (get rid of awful 3" shackle lift)
Order new rear top shock mounts. Weld on.
post #11 of 479 Old 08-11-2014, 05:23 AM Thread Starter
cKruzer
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Got oil blow out the CV breather. Hmmm.

Anyways. Ripped off the CV breather line going to Weber carb, and ordered a K&N CV breather filter off amazon prime. Also ordered that aluminum radiator overflow so it can be drive=able again. Going to pick up some Seafoam today so that i can see about cleaning up some of the filth aroudn the valves

Valve cover gasket is the cork junk. Ordered new rubber (poly) one. Oh and new PCV valve. Discovered this one isnt stock (hence it falling out of rubber grommet constantly).

All these little things take away from the fund for the build! Grrr... I should have just bought a frame, tons, drive train and a body with title. Would have been a much smarter process. lol
post #12 of 479 Old 08-11-2014, 10:21 AM
Mulvihill64
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Wow, that's a clean YJ! I cant wait to see her come together!

Instagram: Mulvihill64

post #13 of 479 Old 08-11-2014, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
cKruzer
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulvihill64 View Post
Wow, that's a clean YJ! I cant wait to see her come together!
Thanks. Nice build thread, when you going to build that custom grill-guard?
post #14 of 479 Old 08-11-2014, 04:15 PM
Mulvihill64
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckruzer
Thanks. Nice build thread, when you going to build that custom grill-guard?
I'll get around to it someday... I get kind of lazy at home, because as a ME major, I have access to a full fab shop down at school. I might try and cut out the pieces and get the tube bent down there if school isn't too hectic.

Instagram: Mulvihill64

post #15 of 479 Old 08-12-2014, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
cKruzer
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Ok. So swapped out radiator today. Cleaned up water neck. Oh.. and guess what. It had NO THERMOSTAT in it. He must of pulled it to compensate for the failing radiator. Laziness... smh

So installed new thermostat. Radiator did go in nice, but OE fan shroud hardware apparently does not work with a "OE replacement radiator". So have the shroud zip tied in for now, and will locate some hardware from lowes for it. (guess what.. i never when to lowes and on the way home from a trip a huge crush/slap/bam/bang/boom turned out to be my fan shredding the shroud lol. slightly bent one of the fan blades)
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.