Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

New Beginnings by Kruzer

58K views 597 replies 34 participants last post by  cKruzer 
#1 ·
Project SpeedBump | Full Frame Off Resto V8 LS Swap

This is my Frankenstein build. Goal is a mild off-road rig that can be also be used to kruze the highway to the beach, or enjoy mountain views from dirt roads with the family. Then of course some weekend warrior fun. Once all the new paint is scratched enough Ill move on to phase 2 and start really hitting the bigger trails.

Phase 1: 79 F250 D44/D60, 4.88s, 37s, 5.3 sbc, xj Ax15, tj np231

Phase 2: trussed + rcv d44, tbd tcase, and a wizard's tranny

Phase 3: 40s

Temporary lift - RC 2.5 - Click Here
Durango Box Swap - Click Here
Windshield Bracket Replace - Click Here
YJ Dewire (Prior to Ripping it All Out lol) - Click Here
RMS Replace - Click Here
Custom Flat Dash Arrival - Click Here
EZ Wire Harness Kit, HEI Install - Click Here
Custom Flat Dash Install - Click Here

D44 Arrival, Begin Dismantle - Click Here
D44 Bracket Cutoff, Primed - Click Here
D60 Dismantle Begin - Click Here
Some Sweet Axle Part Purchases - Click Here
Frame Clean & Paint Begin - Click Here

Tcase Dismantle - Click Here
Novak Mounts Welded On - Click Here
Tcase Rebuild - Click Here
Axle Install - Click Here
Knuckle/Hub&Rotor/Brake Install - Click Here
Rolling Chassis - Click Here
Flywheel/Clutch/Engine Install - Click Here
79 Ford D44 Cast Perch Notch for Ubotl - Click Here
Walbro Fuel Pump Install - Click Here
Np231 Clocking Ring - Click Here
Custom Crossmember for AX15 - Click Here
Headers & Novak Mount Notch - Click Here

Body Pull - Click Here
Underbody Herculiner - Click Here
Body Drop on New Frame/Powertrain - Click Here
YJ Body Mount Nut Replace - Click Here
Radiator, Misc Engine - Click Here
MBM Brake Booster and Camaro Clutch M/S - Click Here
Radiator Bolt On Fix - Click Here
First Start - Click Here
First Drive - Click Here

Anitwrap Bar Setup - Click Here
Front Shaft Shortening - Click Here
Floor Stripping for Monsta - Click Here and Here
And Final Monsta - Click Here
Front Shaft Install - Click Here
TJ Door Swap to YJ - Click Here
Brake Booster Adjustment & E350 MC Swap - Click Here
Rear Diff Cover - Click Here

See less See more
#2 ·
Ok. So located a Canadian YJ. Almost minimal rust. Too good to be true. All thanks to God on that one. She is pretty cosmeticlly sound. Lots of TLC love needs to be given though to restore the "new car scent". Will post some pics after this so we have a good starting point.

lots of plans. some pipe dreams, some realistic. will see how it goes!

#3 ·
You can see here that the jeep came with a hard top and full doors. Tossing those to the bro and getting soft and half doors The shackle lift gives enough room for those 31's but man, they are abusing those poor worn out springs.

Attachments

#4 ·
It can be seen here where she parks that there are some leaks. The diff in front and back have a slow drip. Will change fluids while at it. There is a oil like from the oil pan and the bell housing in addition to the valve cover. Believe the valve cover is blowing oil out possibly from fouled PCV in addition to the some of the hoses in the valve cover having no grommets... easy leaks. The valve gasket may need replacing. Those fixed, in addition to the rtv fail on the oil pan gasket, i believe it will solve all the problems. The oil on the bell housing must be from all the other, otherwise I will have to pull that off and take a look at the crank seal (yep it was the rms).

Attachments

#5 ·
Here is the engine bay. Yikes! Look at that wiring nightmare. Looks like previous owner may have had some lights installed and butchered the harness to find a 12v line. i dont know. Ugh. This makes me itch uncontrollably, lol, so as soon as possible will need to install a new harness for the whole chassis. Need to decide if I will do that when the tub comes off (and i restore the frame and everything else on the chassis) or do it ahead of time. Smart is to wait. Will prob wait. (nope, i didnt wait)

If you notice, you can see the oil leak on the valve cover. The brake system needs some serious TLC. Really, the whole deal will get a makeover once the tub is removed. and get that firewall looking prettyThat is slated for later on. First steps are to make it not an embarassment to drive! Also for a 1987, there really is just too much "going on" in this engine bay for comfort. The hoses need to be re-routed and the whole thing cleaned up and made more efficient. and not a big fan of how emissions clutters the engine bay.

When the tub comes off, its getting a new paint job. Will end up ripping out the windshield washer pump and fluid tank. The battery bay needs some clean up and new welds. That will have to happen. The firewall is rust free but needs some por15/enamel touch up. You will see in the last picture that a new radiator is needed. This one is falling apart. Already ordered the new radiator.

Attachments

#6 ·
Well that will be it for tonight. I could show you her underwear, let you see how little crust there is, but i will wait for the tub-off day for that. (There is always more rust than you THINK!) Interior is dirty but i will post a pic below so you have starting point on the interior tub. Its dirty, but no holes and freshly painted with a cheapo rattle can bedliner. Gunna need to order a drum of MEK before laying the Monsta.

Attachments

#7 ·
Got some half doors in. Painted them white with some gloss. I know it doesnt match, but its something for now. Eventually the whole tub will have to come off and everything get a body/paint makeover, so not too worried about the to two different whites. It was difficult getting the drivers side door to align. Either a really funky door or a a slightly twisted tub.... something. Barely works, and only "without" weather stripping.

Touched up the inner door panels on it too.

#9 ·
Did the nutter bypass. It does not seem like it needs the timing readjusted. I decided not to tear apart the loom any more, as it may have just sparked the fire to tear it all out. (ocd much?). So took some wire and twisted it up with the drill and wrapped the whole thing in electrical tape. Worked like a champ.

#10 ·
Ripped out Windshield washer pump/tank and radiator overflow. Got down to the vapor canister. That sucker is going out too. Will eventually replace the windshield gismo with an aftermarket one and an aluminum cylinder tank. Replacing radiator overflow with aluminum one (smaller less ugly, etc) and new radiator arrived. Vapor cannister is getting chucked - yanked out almost all the vaccum lines, and going to install an aftermarket gas cap with a pressure regulator in it (= no need for charcoal for gas fumes).

i think I might install the wiring harness before doing the lift (cringe), mainly because doing the lift is going to require without a doubt to weld on new rear upper shock mounts. Im dreading going near the body mounts.... which means might as well lift the body off completely? Will see how it goes...

Next (immediate) on the to-do list (in order):

Change all fluids. (Fluids purchased)
New Radiator/Thermo (Purchased)
Install HEI distro w/ new plugs
Install new brake lines (all flex)
Install Wiring Kit
Order RC 2.5" Leaf Springs w/ HD Shackles (get rid of awful 3" shackle lift)
Order new rear top shock mounts. Weld on.

#11 ·
Got oil blow out the CV breather. Hmmm.

Anyways. Ripped off the CV breather line going to Weber carb, and ordered a K&N CV breather filter off amazon prime. Also ordered that aluminum radiator overflow so it can be drive=able again. Going to pick up some Seafoam today so that i can see about cleaning up some of the filth aroudn the valves

Valve cover gasket is the cork junk. Ordered new rubber (poly) one. Oh and new PCV valve. Discovered this one isnt stock (hence it falling out of rubber grommet constantly).

All these little things take away from the fund for the build! Grrr... I should have just bought a frame, tons, drive train and a body with title. Would have been a much smarter process. lol

#14 ·
ckruzer said:
Thanks. Nice build thread, when you going to build that custom grill-guard?
I'll get around to it someday... I get kind of lazy at home, because as a ME major, I have access to a full fab shop down at school. I might try and cut out the pieces and get the tube bent down there if school isn't too hectic.

#15 ·
Ok. So swapped out radiator today. Cleaned up water neck. Oh.. and guess what. It had NO THERMOSTAT in it. He must of pulled it to compensate for the failing radiator. Laziness... smh

So installed new thermostat. Radiator did go in nice, but OE fan shroud hardware apparently does not work with a "OE replacement radiator". So have the shroud zip tied in for now, and will locate some hardware from lowes for it. (guess what.. i never when to lowes and on the way home from a trip a huge crush/slap/bam/bang/boom turned out to be my fan shredding the shroud lol. slightly bent one of the fan blades)

Attachments

#16 ·
Will post a pic up eventually of the new radiator installed. Found out why the valve was leaking so much. The plastic valve cover on this was cracked from getting cranked down too hard with the bolts. Go figure. So need to order a new valve cover and a legit gasket other than that cork. Which led me to the discovery that this is not a YJ motor but a CJ7 motor. The valve cover and gasket did not line up. haha. So need to rush order a proper valve cover and go swap out the valve gasket at autozone.

So with the cover off... The crud build up is crazy. See pics below. Going to try and wipe up as much as this as possible so that it does not go into the oil passages. Hopefully the seafoam will do a good job of cleaning the rest. Maybe it will even fix the sticky valve issue (tapping). Idk. Will post a pic on next oil change to see how well seafoam worked.

EDIT: Oh and finished the timing on it after doing the nutter, and also finished ripping out all the vac lines, eliminating the heater hose/intake setup (now goes straight from tank to core, to back to tank). Lots ripped out. Starting to look like a real jeep in there. Just dirty.

Attachments

#17 ·
changed fluids and used seafoam. once the taps come in to install the new aluminum valve cover, will take pics to see how well the seafoam worked.

EDIT: Seafoam didnt do squat. Just as gummed up. Good thing im okay to run it until its an anchor.

#18 ·
installed new radiator. Also installed aluminum overflow tank. rerouted heater hoses (elminated them running through intake) - it helped to clean up the bay of a few hoses.

Attachments

#19 ·
blew out the bottom seal on the gearbox. the PO installed a incorrect snap ring. ordered 13 bone kit from autozone and installed new seals. got the pitman arm off with a pitman arm puller, pb, and alot of deadblow.

Attachments

#20 ·
Ok. So while installing the roll bar cover, i disconnected the spreader bars, and also decided to lower the windshield down to try and slide the old leather covers off, because got some cool handles. Well, found out PO decided to remove the hinge pins, and welded everything together. So brackets snapped. Ordered some new ones. Now going through the fun process of getting to those nuts. Well, i was unable to remove the whole dash, because the top bolts are rusted completely on with no heads left. Not ready to do my custom dash yet, so decided to cut the speaker parts of the dash out with a cutting wheel, and install back in. This will give me quick access for now, when i know i will do a nice custom dash in the near future. here is some pictures!!!

oh and note: only got the bottom bracket off as of yet. two stripped screws up top. Have figured out what to do yet. Started drilling them out. More than likely threads will get JACKED, so will have to cut into bottom of windshield under gasket to slide in some nuts to put the new screws on. Notice, there was alot of rust under the bracket. Took the side grinder to it and got the chunks off, and tossed on some rustoleum. That should last it until i do the off frame resto.

In the dash pic you can see the custom shift knob I made

Attachments

#22 ·
Liked the handles alot. so go some for the doors. Here is before and after pictures.

Attachments

#23 ·
While was attacking the windshield nuts, i got distracted by the nice outside breeze. Well one thing led to another... You know how the Jeep mind works. Well ended up yanking the below speakers, a tweet and a 2 way, out of some spare sub boxes. Decided with speaker grills out, i would make room for adding these in, as i am not ready to order the new Kickers until its time to do the custom dash. Fitted, Traced, Cut. I think they fit nice.

Attachments

#24 ·
Ok. So, the cone on the back of the 2 way's... well didnt factor for that and my dremel is a cheapo china one - it wont handle that much cutting and for something so temporary i really didnt want to put that much effort into it. So swapped the tweet to the cut, and installed the two way behind the grill.

Attachments

#26 ·
Corbeau Moab seats, Nerf SideSteps, 1" booms, 2.5" RC Lift, and Rampage Vinyl Console ordered. Will take pictures as they arrive. Steering Box blew bottom seal again. So picked up a durango steering box. :D

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.