New Beginnings by Kruzer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > New Beginnings by Kruzer

RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 07-31-2014, 06:52 PM   #1
ckruzer
1987 YJ Wrangler 

New Beginnings by Kruzer

Howdy. This is the start of my build thread. Here goes....

ckruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2014, 07:07 PM   #2
ckruzer
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Ok. So located a Canadian YJ. Almost NO rust. Too good to be true. All thanks to God on that one. She is pretty cosmeticlly sound. Lots of TLC love needs to be given though to restore the "new car scent". Will post some pics after this so we have a good starting point. Below are the changes/additions I will be making.

TLC Goals.
New shifter knob with proper shift pattern (prefer the billiard ball shape). A console/cup/accessories holder. Soft top with new hardware. POR15 + Black Enamel the inside lower body. New upper dash (cracked). Recondition and paint the dash bezels and glove box. Order new white face guages. New radio with modern aux plugins. New Heat Ducts (no AC - keeping it that way). Order half doors and new skin frames. Roll bar padding. Eventually order new windsheild and install properly with a good caulking job (looks like previous installer threw up the caulk on the seal joints). Spare tire bracket and order spare tire. Custom grill guard with light bar. Fog lights. Swap front grill for CJ grill (round lights). Sound system (sub plus rewire current wires). New front seats with 5 point harness. Clean up stock back seat and polish the material. Grab handles for front and rear bars. Eventually remove tub and sand blast bottom and recoat with zinc, por15, and enamel (amazingly no rust). Recondition engine bay and engine parts (block, head, booster, etc). Purchase hub caps. Install nerf side bars. Probably missing a few things but that covers it.

MECHANICAL Goals
Install headers and new cat-back exhaust system. Replace all engine gaskets (including diff, tran, and t-case). Install new thermostat. Replace all sensors. New radiator. Spark plugs. Eventually get the head resurfaced and a new aftermarket head gasket installed. Valve cleaning at time of head resurface. Camshaft inspection. New fan belt, water pump, and replace alternator. Install all new lines and hoses. New brake lines. Lube all joints and replace all fluids. Alignment. Tire balance. Install new leaf springs (prob with RC 2.5") and new shocks and get rid of those tortuous shackle lift (ABUSE!) and install some HD Shackles. Probably will have to do some fuel tank/pump/sending unit work as the gas gauge doesnt work.
Unread 07-31-2014, 07:18 PM   #3
ckruzer
1987 YJ Wrangler 

You can see here that the jeep came with a hard top and full doors. Those WILL go. ha. Soft top and half doors a MUST! The shackle lift gives enough room for those 33's but man, they are abusing those poor worn out springs. Eesh. They got to go! Early on the list is the RC 2.5" lift and HD Shackles.
photo-1.jpg   photo-2.jpg   photo-3.jpg   photo-4.jpg  
Unread 07-31-2014, 07:24 PM   #4
ckruzer
1987 YJ Wrangler 

It can be seen here where she parks that there are some leaks (not seep). The diff in front and back have a slow drip. Previous worker attempted a rtv gasket and must have messed up. Will redo the work, and change fluids while at it. There is a oil like from the oil pan and the bell housing in addition to the valve cover. Believe the valve cover is blowing oil out possibly from fouled PCV in addition to the some of the hoses in the valve cover having no grommets... easy leaks. The valve gasket may need replacing. Those fixed, in addition to the rtv fail on the oil pan gasket, i believe it will solve all the problems. The oil on the bell housing must be from all the other, otherwise I will have to pull that off and take a look at the crank seal (yikes).
photo-24.jpg  
Unread 07-31-2014, 07:33 PM   #5
ckruzer
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Here is the engine bay. Yikes! Look at that wiring nightmare. Looks like previous owner may have had some lights installed and butchered the harness to find a 12v line. Ugh. This makes me itch uncontrollably, so as soon as possible will need to install a Painless Wiring Harness for the whole chassis. Need to decide if I will do that when the tub comes off (and i restore the frame and everything else on the chassis) or do it ahead of time. Smart is to wait. Will prob wait. If you notice, you can see the oil leak on the valve cover. The brake system needs some serious TLC. Really, the whole deal will get a makeover once the tub is removed. That is slated for later on. First steps are to make it not an embarassment to drive! Also for a 1987, there really is just too much "going on" in this engine bay for comfort. The hoses need to be routed and the whole thing cleaned up and made more efficient. The engine is a puke green. When the tub comes off, its getting a new paint job. Will end up ripping out the windshield washer pump and fluid tank. Eventually an electric fan. The battery bay needs some clean up and new welds. That will have to happen. The firewall is rust free but needs some por15/enamel touch up. You will see in the last picture that a new radiator is needed. This one is falling apart. Already ordered the new radiator.
photo-31.jpg   photo-41.jpg   photo-51.jpg   photo-21.jpg  
Unread 07-31-2014, 07:42 PM   #6
ckruzer
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Well that will be it for tonight. I could show you her undercarriage, let you see how little crust there is, but i will wait for the tub-off day for that. There is always more rust than you THINK! But hey, i can verify there are no holes in the frame or the body. Good stuff there. Interior is dirty but i will post a pic below so you have starting point on the interior tub. Its dirty, but no holes and freshly painted.
photo-42.jpg  
Unread 08-11-2014, 05:01 AM   #7
ckruzer
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Got some half doors in. Painted them white with some gloss. Just something to get it to pass buy for now. Eventually the whole tub will have to come off and everything get a body/paint makeover, so not too worried about the to two different whites. It was difficult getting the drivers side door to align. Either a really funky door or a a slightly twisted tub.... something. Barely works, and only "without" weather stripping.

Touched up the inner door panels on it too.

Unread 08-11-2014, 05:04 AM   #8
ckruzer
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Soft top came in! And brand new hardware for it. Finally no more hardtop. Not fun stretching new soft top for the first time. But I managed.

Unread 08-11-2014, 05:10 AM   #9
ckruzer
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Performed the nutter bypass. It does not seem like it needs the timing readjusted, but none-the-less I refuse to adhere to this goob jester of "listening" as I turn the distro.... They make light guns and crankcase markings for a reason folks. Rent it from Autozone... $20 bucks. Sheesh.

So... will be doing a compression test and timing here very soon. But the electrical portion of the bypass was done. Plan on installing a Painless wiring kit very soon, so did not worry about making it too pretty. Used two wires and twisted them up pretty good with a vice and safetywire pliers. Wrapped the whole length in electric tape. Zip tied to the loom (whats left of it, PO busted it open).

Note: did the bypass from the distro plug to the module plug. Did not fool with the length in the loom.
Unread 08-11-2014, 05:16 AM   #10
ckruzer
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Ripped out Windshield washer pump/tank and radiator overflow. Got down to the vapor canister. That sucker is going out too. Will eventually replace the windshield gismo with an aftermarket one and a aluminum cylinder tank. Replacing radiator overflow with aluminum one (smaller less ugly, etc) and new radiator arrived. Vapor cannister is getting chucked - yanked out almost all the vaccum lines, and going to install an aftermarket gas cap with a pressure regulator in it (= no need for charcoal for gas fumes).

At about 2200 hrs last night... Realized how discouraged I was at the wiring harness. Now that all the sensors are pretty much useless (except for guages) and almost all of the wiring harness is dead now, i feel an overwhelming need to order a Painless Wiring Kit and just redo the whole thing. I think I might install the wiring harness before doing the lift (cringe), mainly because doing the lift is going to require without a doubt to weld on new rear upper shock mounts. Im dreading going near the body mounts....

Next (immediate) on the to-do list (in order):

Change all fluids. (Fluids purchased)
New Radiator/Thermo (Purchased)
Install HEI distro w/ new plugs
Install new brake lines (all flex)
Install Painless Wiring Kit
Install Fuel cell with external pump (replacing OEM tank)
Split Headers w/ No cats
Build custom intake manifold with flat for 4bbl
Get 4bbl carb (replacing current weber)
Order RC 2.5" Leaf Springs w/ HD Shackles (get rid of awful 3" shackle lift)
Order new rear top shock mounts. Weld on.
Unread 08-11-2014, 05:23 AM   #11
ckruzer
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Oh man. I think I got clogged oil passages. Dont believe it is ring blowby (thought it would be smart to do a compression test). Got oil blow out the CV breather. Hmmm. The engine is "new to PO"... and it can be evidenced that "another" engine is indeed installed. But who knows if this I6 was rebuilt or just pulled and slapped in. Thinking it was rebuilt on some level. The block paint is not stock...

Anyways. Ripped off the CV breather line going to Weber carb, and ordered a K&N CV breather filter off amazon prime. Also ordered that aluminum radiator overflow so it can be drive=able again. Going to pick up some Seafoam today so that i can see about cleaning up some of this filth. :/

Valve cover gasket is the cork junk. Ordered new rubber (poly) one. Oh and new PCV valve. Discovered this one isnt stock (hence it falling out of rubber grommet constantly).

All these little things take away from the fund for the next step. (Painless wiring kit w/ HEI) Grrr...
Unread 08-11-2014, 10:21 AM   #12
Mulvihill64

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Wow, that's a clean YJ! I cant wait to see her come together!
Unread 08-11-2014, 02:30 PM   #13
ckruzer
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulvihill64 View Post
Wow, that's a clean YJ! I cant wait to see her come together!
Thanks. Nice build thread, when you going to build that custom grill-guard?
Unread 08-11-2014, 04:15 PM   #14
Mulvihill64

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckruzer
Thanks. Nice build thread, when you going to build that custom grill-guard?
I'll get around to it someday... I get kind of lazy at home, because as a ME major, I have access to a full fab shop down at school. I might try and cut out the pieces and get the tube bent down there if school isn't too hectic.
Unread 08-12-2014, 06:47 PM   #15
ckruzer
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Ok. So swapped out radiator today. Cleaned up water neck. Oh.. and guess what. It had NO THERMOSTAT in it. Way to go PO. It was the thermostat housing only. Sheesh. So installed new thermostat. Radiator did go in nice, but OE fan shroud hardware apparently does not work with a "OE replacement radiator". So have the shroud zip tied in for now, and will locate some hardware from lowes for it.
photo-2dfds.jpg

photo-3sdff.jpg

photo-19df.jpg

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.