Newby's Guide #2. Jeep TJ Rubicon 2006 Transmission Oil Change Walkthrough
Ok so i went and bought the alan type fixtures for the fill and drain caps on the tranny. Drain is a Size 17 - Fill is a Size 14
The auto shop didnt have a size 17 so i got a size 16 that also worked fine.
1) First undo the Fill cap (the one thats higher up that faces the passenger door)
2) Have the milk jug ready as it will leak a little bit
3) Undo the Drain cap (the one on the bottom) and the oil will come out very quickly so be careful and ready
4) I used some cardboard to direct the last remenants of oil over the skid plate in to a Milk jug
5) The Drain plug will have little shards of metal stuck to a magnet - Clean this.
6) Mmm sexy shiny clean plugs! (fill plug on left - drain plug on right)
7) Re-attach Drain plug nice and tight, then take the new transmission oil and start to fill -- the angle is kinda difficult - some people use a pump - i didnt bother. - be warned you will get oil over your hands and arm if you dont use a pump!
8) this pic gives you a better idea of the location ... it used almost 2 quarts (about 1.75L) keep filling until the oil pours out of the fill cap hole.
9) Re-attach the fill plug, clean everything up - and you're complete!
Transmission Oil Change - DONE!
Turn the engine on, let her sit for a little bit - ease the gear stick around - then take her for a gentle drive. make sure everything feels ok..
It kinda felt weird to me - i'm sensitive to any change when driving the vehicle - 'fell' in to each gear very well - Good so far
On a side note - this royal purple synchromax oil -- has probably the worst smell known to man, i almost vomited as i had it all over my arm (because i didnt use a pump) it kinda has a crappy purple floral chemical smell.. oh god i can still smell this stuff!