Need help! Chop top cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Need help! Chop top cherokee

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side View

Unread 06-15-2012, 06:50 PM   #1
Nmonderewicz
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Need help! Chop top cherokee

I have wanted to chop my xj for the past 3 years and i have a few questions... i started taking out my plastic pieces in the back and im probably going to cut it shortly. Its a 4 door 92 and i was thinking of just welding the door right behind the back doors. Am i going to need to make a rear roll cage? or can i just weld it on there with no problem? and any pics thro this from past rigs going thro this would help also. Thanks

Nmonderewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2012, 06:32 AM   #2
apurplemunky

From what I've read a roll bar, at least over the back, is necessary due to the cherokee being a unibody. The roof provides a lot of rigidity and by cutting it you compremise that. I have also been wanting to do this to my '95 4 door, any additional info would be wonderful.
apurplemunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2012, 07:59 AM   #3
redjeep1992
2004 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/c...build-1350413/ heres a build thread of what my friend did to his cherokee its not very long but it explains how he did it hope this help
redjeep1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2012, 10:22 AM   #4
apurplemunky

I haven't had a chance to look too closely at that thread, I'm only wanting to take off the cargo area, behind my rear doors, not all the way up.
apurplemunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2014, 08:31 PM   #5
jrockdakil

chop top

I did mine I cut it at the bottom of the back glass and cut the hatch like a tail gate and bolted it in a bolted in a tool box and that's all the support it has the only thing is to top rattles alot putting a bar support will fix that but supporting it like I did does the job
jrockdakil is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.