Need help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Need help

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 03-22-2012, 01:24 PM   #1
m3gunner110
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Need help

Ok dont laugh please I am need to the whole jeep world always have been a ford man, I have a 88 cherokee, picked up to replace my toy the soon to be ex sold while I was deployed, here is my issue: Yesterday she ran fine down to get gas, leaving the gas station she started spittering and back firing, acted like timing jumped a tooth, set the harmonic balancer to sero timing mark, #1 at TDC, rotor facing #1 plug. Pulled the cover crank timing gear at correct position the cam gear is 180 off, chain does seem stretched. Never seen a chain jump a complete perfect 180, if i rotate the crank to align the gears then the distributor is 180 out, which do I reset the cam and redrop the distributor when i put the new chain and sproket on or do i leave the crank in place and just rotate the cam where it needs to be with the distributor in and hope for the best? Like i said I never seen a V8 jump a perfect 180. Thanks for the help.

m3gunner110 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2012, 08:55 AM   #2
jebbie

timing

i have 4.0. im putting new gears/chain on mine. i was replacing lifters so i thought i would replace other things while i had it apart. i got the timing messed up some how after removing gears. i turned the crank and put the gears and chain back on with 15 pins between marks as book said to do. dist is at #1 fire and valves are closed on tdc. vib damper is at 0 degree mark. what is weird is the timing mark on cam gear is 180 degrees off. i think this is the way it was when i took it off (after a few beers). i put my new set on and the same thing. cam gear 180 off. if the pin on end of cam was in the other hole it would be correct as i would turn gear 180 and the timing marks would line up. i just want to know if this is common with 1988 jeep 4.0 to have cam gear 180 off because i have heard of this before. i just want to put cover on and not have to take it off again
jebbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.