Nate's 2002 TJ, simple but effective.... - Page 94 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Nate's 2002 TJ, simple but effective....

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-19-2013, 04:39 PM   #1396
gspup
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
He's got a 6 speed!

And I was disappointed not to meet you in Moab man!
What a man...

I know. I wanted to met you all too...a series of 'unfortunate' events occurred just prior to the trip. Not to get into too much detail, but we ended up firing two people at work just before the trip and I was covering all their work. If I would have come I just would have been ****ing myself the next week, so to speak. Then my dog had a serious injury forcing me to pony up fifteen hundred doll hairs so I wasn't really in a spending mood. We live close enough to Moab that I'm sure our paths will cross in the future.

Unread 06-19-2013, 04:52 PM   #1397
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

I just feel like I've accomplished all I can, or even more than I should have done at 94". I do want to cruise the Rubicon this summer, and run Chocolate thunder, (ART, lets go!) before I make changes, just for kicks and before I retire the D35. I guess if I wait till winter I can do the 8.8 swap also.....
Id be up for some Rubicon wheeling this summer. Heck I might even be up for chocate thunder. That one looks fun.
Moabrubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 05:18 PM   #1398
yellow_snocone
Web Wheeler
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I just feel like I've accomplished all I can, or even more than I should have done at 94". I do want to cruise the Rubicon this summer, and run Chocolate thunder, (ART, lets go!) before I make changes, just for kicks and before I retire the D35. I guess if I wait till winter I can do the 8.8 swap also.....
If you have plans of ever going bigger then 37's I would jump to a wider axle and skip the 8.8. I love my 8.8 but its to narrow for those bigger tires

Chester TJ build

2014 JF RUBICON TRIP
yellow_snocone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 06:35 PM   #1399
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspup View Post
What a man...

I know. I wanted to met you all too...a series of 'unfortunate' events occurred just prior to the trip. Not to get into too much detail, but we ended up firing two people at work just before the trip and I was covering all their work. If I would have come I just would have been ****ing myself the next week, so to speak. Then my dog had a serious injury forcing me to pony up fifteen hundred doll hairs so I wasn't really in a spending mood. We live close enough to Moab that I'm sure our paths will cross in the future.
All good brother. I just might head over to CO and run some trails with you and then back track to Moab next time. Those trails looked like a lot of fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moabrubi View Post
Id be up for some Rubicon wheeling this summer. Heck I might even be up for chocate thunder. That one looks fun.
Ok, I'll hold you to it! When I'm ready to make the trip I'll let you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow_snocone View Post
If you have plans of ever going bigger then 37's I would jump to a wider axle and skip the 8.8. I love my 8.8 but its to narrow for those bigger tires
37 would be end game. I'm still happy with my 35's though. Stretched front and rear, with maybe a 1" wheel spacer all around. I can only imagine the gains in stability, approach and departure angle. My "dream" scenario right now, for stage eleveteen is 104" wheelbase, Nicely set up 8.8, Nicely set up HPD30 (allowing me to hand down my current axles to my son) 1" wheel spacers in leu of new wheels with a different offset, and a completely flat belly. Then the Jump to 37's maybe another year down the road would be pretty straight forward if I so choose..... I think this is an attainable goal. Funds permitting, I feel like I'm ready to dig in as far as my wrenching/building abilities go.
gst95dsm is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 06:37 PM   #1400
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

My inter web is working again!!!! 5 days without internet sucked. Pretty sad!
Unread 06-19-2013, 06:39 PM   #1401
yellow_snocone
Web Wheeler
2003 TJ Wrangler 

You can do what mike did and run a sterling with your 37's Full width and about the same clearance as an 8.8.

Chester TJ build

2014 JF RUBICON TRIP
Unread 06-19-2013, 07:00 PM   #1402
aw12345
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
He's got a 6 speed!

And I was disappointed not to meet you in Moab man!
I can wheel and work the manual trans on sandals, barefoot or with my wooden shoes go figure

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/february-tj-month-contest-submit-now-2061065/
aw12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 07:10 PM   #1403
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow_snocone View Post
You can do what mike did and run a sterling with your 37's Full width and about the same clearance as an 8.8.
I don't know... I'm so attached to my current high clearance competition axle, it's hard to stray to far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
I can wheel and work the manual trans on sandals, barefoot or with my wooden shoes go figure
You're a legend Art.
Unread 06-19-2013, 07:13 PM   #1404
aw12345
2004 TJ Wrangler 

In my own mind lol

Unread 06-19-2013, 07:25 PM   #1405
yellow_snocone
Web Wheeler
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Its definitely a hard decision.

And I agree Art is a legend

Chester TJ build

2014 JF RUBICON TRIP
Unread 06-19-2013, 07:36 PM   #1406
gspup
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345
In my own mind lol
Haha aren't we all...
Unread 06-19-2013, 07:39 PM   #1407
aw12345
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
All good brother. I just might head over to CO and run some trails with you and then back track to Moab next time. Those trails looked like a lot of fun!

Ok, I'll hold you to it! When I'm ready to make the trip I'll let you know.

37 would be end game. I'm still happy with my 35's though. Stretched front and rear, with maybe a 1" wheel spacer all around. I can only imagine the gains in stability, approach and departure angle. My "dream" scenario right now, for stage eleveteen is 104" wheelbase, Nicely set up 8.8, Nicely set up HPD30 (allowing me to hand down my current axles to my son) 1" wheel spacers in leu of new wheels with a different offset, and a completely flat belly. Then the Jump to 37's maybe another year down the road would be pretty straight forward if I so choose..... I think this is an attainable goal. Funds permitting, I feel like I'm ready to dig in as far as my wrenching/building abilities go.
Where you are hurting now is gearing and 37's are not going to make that better. So unless it gets an injection of horsepower, axles with better gearing options and a deeper transfer case should go to the top of the list.
Neither one is cheap but makes big rocks and steep stuff a lot more manageable. Stretching the rear is cake, front not quite so, best approach to that is cut that round front crossmember and move the steering box as forward as you can

Unread 06-19-2013, 08:00 PM   #1408
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
Where you are hurting now is gearing and 37's are not going to make that better. So unless it gets an injection of horsepower, axles with better gearing options and a deeper transfer case should go to the top of the list.
Neither one is cheap but makes big rocks and steep stuff a lot more manageable. Stretching the rear is cake, front not quite so, best approach to that is cut that round front crossmember and move the steering box as forward as you can
I agree Art, I think the gearing I have with 35's isn't terrible, but lower than 4:1 would be nice in some situations. I'm pretty good at modulating that clutch so I think I have decent control in the technical stuff. I'd like to focus my efforts this year on getting some wheelbase into the rig, and leave the gearing alone. After I tackle the rear.... I plan to really study and get the front figured out, following a "lite" version of what you and Mike have done. Budget is going to be a concern more than ever this year so we'll see how it goes. It may just be how it is for a while....... which isn't a bad thing. It get's around pretty good.
Unread 06-20-2013, 06:03 AM   #1409
mcannon111
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Lower than 4:1? Are you kidding me? My friend has 4.88 and 37 reds with his 4 banger. Yes he has to ride the clutch a little, but never to the point of making it smoke or nothing. It's a 4 cylinder so you are not going to make gobs of power, and you have to accept that.

If you are building a whole new front axle, i wouldn't **** with a hp 30. Especially if you are planning to stretch it. The only reason people do a 30 is because they want the ease of install or its already built from there 35 stage. If you are opening the whole front stretch can of worms i wouldn't mess around with that. If you spend a tad more you could have a waggy 44. My same friend with the 4 cyl runs his 37 reds on a waggy 44. It has held up just fine. He spit one ujoint cap after 3 years, and put rcvs in it. A hp 30 aint gonna hold up an extended amount of time on 37s. I don't see any of the people on here that run a hp 30 with 37s going wheeling more than 2 or 3 times a year. And i've seen more breakage in dana 30s than anything.

Also 104 is long! Why 104? You aren't planning to race it I assume. I'd say 100-102 would be best for you.

live in sc? join [COLOR="Blue"]OffroadSC.com[/COLOR]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/silver-bullet-1249782/"][COLOR="Silver"]The Silver Bullet[/COLOR][/URL]
mcannon111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 07:02 AM   #1410
AngryTJ
Dreamin of Moab

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I say stick with the 35s club
AngryTJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.