Nate's 2002 TJ, simple but effective.... - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Nate's 2002 TJ, simple but effective....

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 08-04-2012, 10:56 PM   #121
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Got her all cleaned up after it cooled off today. Snapped a couple better photos. Looking forward to wheeling next weekend. While driving around today people were looking at the jeep like it was a spaceship or something. Haha it's funny, I think the doors and hood louver are what causes the odd looks. Oh well.

And just like the crackhead that I am..... this is next on the list. PSC rear spreader bars. This will be my first official welding project on the Jeep. Looking forward to it.

gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2012, 09:13 AM   #122
G Beasley
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
Got her all cleaned up after it cooled off today. Snapped a couple better photos. Looking forward to wheeling next weekend. While driving around today people were looking at the jeep like it was a spaceship or something. Haha it's funny, I think the doors and hood louver are what causes the odd looks. Oh well.

Just a thought ?

Jeep looks great ! Have fun welding the tubing in , whipping the puddle as you come down and go around the tube is tough the first time you try it .
Unread 08-05-2012, 04:52 PM   #123
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post

Just a thought ?

Jeep looks great ! Have fun welding the tubing in , whipping the puddle as you come down and go around the tube is tough the first time you try it .
I should probably buy some tubing and practice that motion before I jump in.... I knew it would be tricky until I was familiar.
Unread 08-06-2012, 09:33 PM   #124
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

I just sold my beat up Soft 8's to a guy for $80 off craigslist........ said he was going to use them on his Nissan Drift car????? Ok good luck with that. haha. They were $40 a piece back in 07 when I bought them, so 50% recoup was ok with me. Gonna order my cage bars tonight.
Unread 08-07-2012, 11:23 PM   #125
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

I had a chance to balance my new Raceline's today at work. I read a lot on here about how hard it is to find someone to balance big tires / beadlocks and how hard it is to find someone to do it right! Here's a few tips that may lead to more success.

First of all you want them to use Pin plates. This aligns the wheel assembly on the balancer using the bolt holes as well as a cone. Not just a cone which is what we use on 90% of everything. This will align the wheel more precisely and give a better balance. This is pretty important, especially since not many of us use hub centric rings, therefore making our wheels Lug centric, which technically they are not.

Now on wheels with less than 3.5" of backspace that you don't want or there's no place to use weights on the outside of the rim your only real option is to do a "static" balance with tape weights in the center of the rim. This should give the best results. If you tried to do a dynamic balance with so little rim width behind the hub the two readings would just simply counter balance each other and you'd have to use a TON of weight.

Mine balanced out pretty easy, one only took 1 ounce, I found that suspicious but went with it. One took 8 ounces, a little high in my book, and typically I would have spun the tire 180 and tried again but with a beadlock, I wasn't gonna loosen all those bolts. haha. The other two took around 3.5 ounces and that's what I would want the average to be on something like this. I see a lot of guys throwing 8oz. of dynabeads in there wheels...... that would have been excessive on all but one of mine. Just something to think about.

I must say that I spin a lot of aftermarket wheels and I'm usually pretty amazed by how much run out they have even brand new but these Racelines were incredibly true.

Notice the pin plate.

Eeek that's a lot! It zero'd out so I'll run with it!

Unread 08-10-2012, 11:06 PM   #126
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Poison Spyder Rear Cage

My rear spreader bars came in today. Nicely cut and notched, fit was literally perfect. I find that amazing and unlikely given the how much each Jeep seems to be different.

I got everything tacked up and fitted easily enough. Now if you've ever read my thread before you know I've been welding for about two weeks now and this is my first "real" welding I've done on the Jeep. I've been practicing my *** off though and felt pretty good going into this. Well I got a WAKE UP call! Overhead welding or upside down welding just was not working out for me at all. I tried slower, faster, closer, further, shorter, longer..... just nothing really worked. It was like I had never pulled a MIG trigger before! Well needless to say the welds looked like absolute crap,

I WAS able to do it though, just a lot of starting and stopping, a lot of build up, and a lot of ugliness! So out came the grinder to clean up my mess, and my hopes of having some pretty little beads to show off that I did myself were lost! The only areas I was able to actually get a nice puddle going and a nice fluid motion were on the top halfs and around the sides. I think I need to learn to just lay off the trigger when things aren't going well, I kept in it to see if some more heat would get things moving along, but it was just making a mess. The only that worked was grinding everything back smooth and just using a sort of "thin" sheet metal method, basically just starting and stopping instead of "running" a bead. Well..... Im learning! On to some photos......

My little nightmares....

Tacked up...

One of the only I didn't have to grind on at all....

Getting ready for primer....

Got some paint on it tonight, Cage is finally all black, I knew it would happen sooner or later... looks pretty cool all painted, and hey my crap welds look a little better painted also....

Thanks for looking and PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you have any tips for overhead welding, share them!
Unread 08-11-2012, 10:45 AM   #127
rt4422
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
Poison Spyder Rear Cage

Thanks for looking and PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you have any tips for overhead welding, share them!

Roll your neck out after...
rt4422 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2012, 10:47 AM   #128
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

So after reading about overhead welding all morning, I've come to the conclusion that although it didn't seem like my wire speed was to low, it must have been... the reason I could not get a continuous bead going was that the puddle was traveling down my wire, explaining why when I was done welding there was little to no stick out, and a blob on the end. Also now in retrospect a little more angle would be better. So I think I'll practice with that later today.
Unread 08-11-2012, 10:49 AM   #129
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt4422 View Post
Roll your neck out after...
Yeah and check for what's on FIRE, and how many burns you have.....
Unread 08-11-2012, 04:08 PM   #130
gspup
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm
So after reading about overhead welding all morning, I've come to the conclusion that although it didn't seem like my wire speed was to low, it must have been... the reason I could not get a continuous bead going was that the puddle was traveling down my wire, explaining why when I was done welding there was little to no stick out, and a blob on the end. Also now in retrospect a little more angle would be better. So I think I'll practice with that later today.
Try turning up the heat too. I like to burn tube hot with the wire speed way up. Might be difficult for a beginner to run the gun that fast around tube though. Also the manual for the welder will give you a great starting point for that material thickness, some manuals will have a corresponding wire speed too.

Those rims are sexy, drooling on my phone right now.
Unread 08-11-2012, 04:19 PM   #131
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

It's got to be a 150 degrees outside today..... wheewwwww.

Ok so I finished up this little project. A little more sanding and painting to get the finish looking presentable. I hate spray painting tubing because you get a good wet out and then unavoidable overspray around the tube causing shading.... Oh well I just went for shading on TOP of the tubes and a nice wet finish on the underside. Overall I'm proud of myself for getting this done. I know I'll look back in a couple years and laugh a little at how much I struggled to weld the underside of the tubing..... but hey you gotta start somewhere! It has definitely added some rigidity to my Jeep, In the past going down my driveway at an angle always resulted in a "creeek" from stuff flexing.... and now it's completely silient. That's cool! I also feel that in the event of a flop I can count on those C pillars working together to minimize damage, and increase the safety of my passengers. for this mod, at $180 it's pretty reasonable. Some finished photos, I'm digging the all black cage...

Unread 08-11-2012, 04:37 PM   #132
gspup
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Looks awesome
Unread 08-11-2012, 05:22 PM   #133
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspup View Post
Looks awesome
Thanks! I just read your trailer build, man that is inspiring! I can see something like that in my future. Maybe a winter project.
Unread 08-11-2012, 05:37 PM   #134
QXj97
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Thats an awesome jeep.
QXj97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2012, 05:56 PM   #135
Drastiq
2000 TJ Wrangler 

badass jeep, glad im not the only one who likes the RC long arms. hahah
Currie, Poison Spyder, OME, Cragar, Smittybilt, Precision, Rustys, Teraflex[/SIZE][/CENTER]
-
[B]SOLD[/B] 1994 YJ, OD Green. 4" RC. 2" BL. 2" SL. 1" MML 35" MTZ.
[B]SOLD[/B] 1998 TJ, Red, Stock, 161k, 5sp, 6cyl.
Drastiq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.