Nate's 2002 TJ, simple but effective.... - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Nate's 2002 TJ, simple but effective....

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-01-2012, 06:19 PM   #106
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I have done a "little" welding over the last 10 years

Unread 08-01-2012, 07:55 PM   #107
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
I have done a "little" welding over the last 10 years
haha, that must mean you're laughing at how excited I am about my little 110 welder! Kids and there toys....
gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2012, 08:04 PM   #108
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I started out with a Lincoln 100 HD and I was just as excited as you are now . Welding is addictive , and you will want more metal working tools as you go along . I have a Miller 210 , and a few other tools for metal working ... its a lot of fun . Keep practicing and start scouring craigslist for goodies .
Unread 08-01-2012, 08:39 PM   #109
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

That's funny, i've already caught myself a couple times looking at band saws, and plasma cutters like I would actually really need them. Oh well you can never have enough tools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
I started out with a Lincoln 100 HD and I was just as excited as you are now . Welding is addictive , and you will want more metal working tools as you go along . I have a Miller 210 , and a few other tools for metal working ... its a lot of fun . Keep practicing and start scouring craigslist for goodies .
Unread 08-01-2012, 08:43 PM   #110
rt4422
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm
Ok now I didn't know that. I don't foresee welding much if any galvanized but it's good to know it can make you sick. I just read a long thread in a welding forum about it. (Zinc fume fever) FLU like symptoms for several days after being exposed. Some say there are no long term effects, some say how can there NOT be any long term effects. Now here's something weird..... Drink MILK before welding galvanized and it helps you not get sick... I think some type of respiratory mask is in my future. I don't need welding taking years off my life. I already spent many years as a painter breathing that **** in.
The milk thing is actually true. Im working in a plant for the summer and the veteran guys were telling me about how they would do that when they were messing with a lot of galvanized.
rt4422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2012, 09:06 PM   #111
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt4422 View Post
The milk thing is actually true. Im working in a plant for the summer and the veteran guys were telling me about how they would do that when they were messing with a lot of galvanized.
That's hilarious really. I didn't read into it enough to actually find out WHY it helps, but in the thread I did read it was definitely a well supported technique. I can't wait to pull that one out of my hat someday when I see or hear of someone that's going to weld galv. "hey you better drink some Milk before you weld that bro",
Unread 08-02-2012, 09:01 PM   #112
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Poison Spyder Hood Louver

My PSC hood louver came in today . The install is pretty straight forward. Just typical sheet metal cutting, drilling and de-burring. I would recommend using a little jig saw with a metal blade instead of a 4 inch grinder like I did. It cut like butter but lacked really good control. I also went out and bought a fresh hole saw. The template is pretty fool proof, I would say that you DON'T need to put much effort into sticking it on there and pressing it down.... just make sure it's aligned and lightly rub it down. I put a little to much gusto in this and it was terrible to remove, tearing and leaving residue.

After you make your cuts I spent a little time deburring then instead of spraying the exposed edge I sprayed some color matched white paint onto a foam brush and just dabbed the edge so as to avoid having to mask for overspray and making a bigger mess. This worked fine for me. You may want to spend more time on this step. Overall cutting the holes isn't a huge deal. The more anal you are, the more time you'll spend on it making it perfect. It all gets covered by the louver anyways and you can't see in there unless you're really trying. My level of detail was medium for this.

Once all that's done you clean up the hood and lay out the louver. The nice thing is that the windshield bumper things will pretty much align the louver. I pulled those through and it was pretty much perfectly aligned for drilling. I drilled each corner out and put in a bolt. Then drilled all the the rest of the holes. Nothing hard about this step. One good tip is use Anti-seize on the little bolts. If you tighten them to fast they will seize up on you. The second one I did, did this and I had to cut it off (there were extras luckily). I used anti-seize on the rest and was able to tighten them down as fast as I wanted with no issues. After the holes were drilled I removed the back two bolts and starting tightening from the front center out to edge and up each side towards the back. This allowed the louver flatten out nicely as you tightened.

After that it's just a matter of bolting the hood back up and cleaning it. And it's a pain in the but to clean! Especially if you leave it raw. haha.

Here's a few photos of the process. Overall I think it looks cool, is priced right, high quality and functional in regards to venting the hood.

Unread 08-02-2012, 09:56 PM   #113
rt4422
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Looks great! I love mine! I like the fresh aluminum look, just didn't fit my jeep
Unread 08-02-2012, 10:33 PM   #114
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt4422 View Post
Looks great! I love mine! I like the fresh aluminum look, just didn't fit my jeep
Thanks! Right now I'm liking the raw metal look, you're right it only works on certain colors. I think the new wheels will finish off the look with the raw aluminum beadlock rings. They come polished so I think I'll have to knock that down with some scotchbrite right from the get-go. We'll see when they get here..... hopefully tomorrow.
Unread 08-03-2012, 06:12 PM   #115
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Wheels are here!

How or when or has it always been the common practice for UPS to just drop stuff off at the doorstep?? Over 1k worth of wheels just sitting there, probably for hours. Scary!

First order of business was unboxing and checking inventory and condition. All look good!!! Except that mirror finish on the beadlock rings. I knew I wanted aluminum rings and I knew they were polished so I was expecting to have to scotch brite them..... NOW they are beautiful!

Scotch Brite left..... Polished right

Nice wheels....

Now to go to work and dismount my tires.....
Unread 08-04-2012, 12:33 AM   #116
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Got two of them done tonight. Everything going smooth so far. Just time consuming. I think they look great, I really can't believe they are even mine. Very grateful to have been able to make this purchase. I agonized over what ones to get and feel like I made the right choice in regards to quality and function as well as aesthetically. Looking forward to finishing up tomorrow and getting it all cleaned up.

The inner bead pops on suuuuuuper easy....

After scotch brite these things are sexy

One done... phewwww

Unread 08-04-2012, 04:34 AM   #117
rt4422
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Those look awesome, definitely going to tie in that raw metal look. Hurry up and get them on
Unread 08-04-2012, 11:20 AM   #118
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Here's one fresh outta the garage, I need a break photo! Very pleased with the look. Assembly on all 4 went very smoothly.

As far as the wheels go.... they are nice, but there were a couple things that kind of caught my attention. One was that the powdercoat or paint finish wasn't all that great, definitely not "perfect". Some fish eyes, and heavy spots on every wheel. One wheel had a minor chip. Also the rock rings had some burrs and there was polishing compound all over the back side of them and inside the recessed bolt holes that was annoying to clean. And finally, MADE IN CHINA! For some reason I thought these were American made. As far as I know the Trail ready's, Spyder's, and Hutchinson's are American made. This would have influenced my decision if I had known prior to purchase. I should have asked.

Now I'm not saying I'm not happy with them and these are obviously a proven wheel under the harshest usage, but when I buy at the "top", my expectations are always HIGH.

Unread 08-04-2012, 01:03 PM   #119
thirdeye
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Damn that's sick. Your jeep is so clean. what wheels are those?
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thirdeyes-second-tj-1816002/
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2012, 02:44 PM   #120
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks! They are Raceline Monster 231's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
Damn that's sick. Your jeep is so clean. what wheels are those?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.