Nate's 2002 TJ, simple but effective.... - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Nate's 2002 TJ, simple but effective....

CurrieSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 07-23-2012, 09:00 AM   #91
rt4422
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm

Here's a couple pics I found. Basically I asked for the most basic bicycle cable shifter they had and I think 8 feet of cable. It's pretty easy to just run the cable similar to the throttle cable. To attach it to the throttle I just looped it around and used a wire crimp connector. I didn't think this would last but it has for almost a year now with no signs of failure, with regular usage. As far as attaching the shift lever to the stick I just cut a piece of fuel tubing to wrap around the the stick (to make it thicker) so I could tighten up the clamp. Worked out perfect. This $20 investment has made getting started on steep hills so much more controllable I could never live without it now.
Alright, thanks a lot

rt4422 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2012, 04:32 PM   #92
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj24lyons View Post
Sweet Jeep, your not too far away. Maybe we can hit a trail sometime.
Thanks! anytime you're headed to the Sierra's to wheel you should hit me up, I'm up there almost every week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt4422 View Post
Alright, thanks a lot
gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2012, 05:41 PM   #93
Jonblair
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Very nice clean build. Just wondering if you DD this what type of gas mileage do you get and any regrets on keeping the D35?
Jonblair is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2012, 06:16 PM   #94
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonblair View Post
Very nice clean build. Just wondering if you DD this what type of gas mileage do you get and any regrets on keeping the D35?
Yes this is my DD right now. I've had other cars and trucks while also owning the jeep and of course my wife has a car but I just LIKE driving it to much, even though it's over a 100 degrees outside I just always want to drive it so I've decided to finally just admit that it IS my DD. haha.

I would guess around 15-17 mpg city and probably 12-14 highway. DEFINITELY better in the city. I don't really expect to much out of it and I only work 4 miles from home so fuel costs are pretty low for me overall. Putting around town it seems to get pretty good mileage.

And so far my D35 has just been a straight up soldier for me. Wheeled it a bunch on stock axles / open with 31's, wheeled it a bunch with 27 spline chromos / open with 33's, wheeled it a bunch with 27 spline chromos, 4.88's, aussie with 33's and 35's and now with the Superior S35 kit / Detroit locker 4.88's and 35's.

Now from my videos you can SEE how I drive and the terrain, over all I think this is the number one key to whether or not a D35 will live for you. I do bind it up between rocks and get the occasional hop / wheelspin but I also have a lot of patience while wheeling a like the crawling aspect of it way more than spinning tires and tearing stuff up.

My jeep, like everyone's is a work in progress and I've got little doubt I'll outgrow the D35 someday but for now it's doing it's job just fine.
Unread 07-29-2012, 10:55 PM   #95
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Got a new toy today. Now maybe I can stop being such a bolt on master. Picked up a Hobart Handler 140. Based on a zillion reviews I read the consensus was that this is a quality machine. Seems like it. My only experience MIG welding was a brief ownership of a harbor freight MIG-100 that absolutely sucked about 10 years ago. And before that I did some ARC and OXY/Acet. welding in High School. Other than that... I'm a total newb. Well I just got it home about an hour ago, got it assembled and set up (no gas yet) and just for kicks I made some sparks. I can tell it's going to be NICE when I get some practice. Even my total rookie nervous hands almost made something that looked like a weld bead. haha. Was actually quite the rush pulling that trigger for the first time.

Nice looking machine, sucker is heavy too.....

Practice Practice...... haha.

Unread 07-30-2012, 10:28 PM   #96
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Spent the day after work gathering up the rest of my modest welding set up. Picked up a cart from Harbor Freight. I'm really trying to get away from buying junk but this little is pretty nice. Seemed NICER than the hobart cart they had for twice as much money. The only weak link I see in this cart is the casters are absolute bottom of the barrel. So they will most likely get a nice upgrade. Very simple though and should make the cart last forever. The welder fits perfect on it also, could not fit better.

I also went to the local gas place and looked into renting a bottle. Well it was around $15 a month... So 180 a year. He suggested to just "buy" a bottle, own it and just pay for refills. I decided to go this route. I guess you own your bottle, but you just simply swap it out whenever you need a refill with a like bottle. This way your also getting a bottle with a current certification and never have to worry about it. It was $180 up front for the bottle and a fill. A little more than I was expecting but at least I know the bottle is mine. It wouldn't surprise me if one fill lasted me a whole year. The bottle size I got will weld for 3 hours continuous. That's ALOT of welding I think. So GAS and cart done! Pretty much set up.

The one thing I didn't get today was some scrap to practice on. I only have this one piece of bumper I cut off a while ago. So after setting up the tank, regulator, swapping to the solid wire and just making sure everything was hooked up legit I was able to run a couple small beads. WOW at how much difference the gas makes. It's like I would NEVER not use gas unless I absolutely had to. It's so clean and so much easier to SEE the puddle and what your doing. It was very enjoyable and much calmer. If anyone has a gas capable welder but has been using flux core just because they have not wanted to bother with gas...... you're really missing out on a much more pleasant welding atmosphere IMO. I also think that welding with gas will really speed up your learning curve and make welding with flux core that much easier when you need the added strength or convenience. Just because it's much calmer, you have more visibility and there's no smoke coming up into your face.

Ok here's my set up. UHG at how much I've spent on it, but hopefully I'll have some fun with it and learn with it.

My first beads ever using gas..... keep in mind this metal is NOT clean...

Top one was u shape motions pulling (to fast I think)
Middle was weaves pulling (to fast)
Bottom was weaves pushing (slowed down cause I've never pushed before)

I know it's nothing special..... just having fun!
Unread 07-31-2012, 06:28 AM   #97
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

looks like a lot of fun...

and something that you will have for a long time to come.

A Hokie build

check out my jeepin videos!
jeepinhokie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2012, 09:05 AM   #98
rt4422
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Beads look good! I'm thinking about upgrading from my flux core 110 Lincoln. You just made that urge a little stronger...
Unread 07-31-2012, 12:28 PM   #99
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks, I don't know what I'm doing yet but I'm happy that my practice beads actually even look like beads and not just splatter!
Unread 08-01-2012, 12:47 PM   #100
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Ordered!

Can't wait to get this stuff.

Today I'm doing welding practice welding up my little harbor freight trailer. So far the welding is fun but welding on stuff that's already been painted sucks. It's hard to get it all clean enough to weld smoothly.....
Unread 08-01-2012, 05:03 PM   #101
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Ok well I sure did do some welding today. Bit off a little more than I should have. I started welding all the seams on my HF trailer. Cleaning the metal sucked. I ended up using Aircraft stripper with good results. My biggest issue today was there was pretty good sized gaps in some of the seams. It seemed like the arc was shooting through the gaps and I was loosing control of the bead. On some of the bigger ones I started running one bead on the edge of the metal and then another to connect the two. I had some good some bad results with that. My weld quality was decent on most of it. Pretty good on a little bit, and HORRID on a little more than was pretty good. HAHA. I got to do a bunch of different angles though and feel that I learned quite a bit.

I was proud of this little bead so I took a photo.

I also definitely learned painting stuff that's been painted or powdercoated in the past SUCKS. Even with good cleaning of the weld area, the surrounding area from the heat will blister and smoke.... FUMES.... bad... headache. I think a trailer like this is a worst case scenario being made out of C channel with a lot of nooks and crannies.... still fun though. Now i'm painting the damn thing, gotta put it all back together today and be done.
Unread 08-01-2012, 05:24 PM   #102
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Not sure about aircraft stripper but some chemicals are bad news to weld over .
http://www.brewracingframes.com/id75.htm
Something you may want to read for future use . The bead looks good and they will get better the more you weld . When I have to weld something that has been powdercoated I use a grinding wheel , then follow up with a flapper .
Unread 08-01-2012, 06:13 PM   #103
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Not sure about aircraft stripper but some chemicals are bad news to weld over .
http://www.brewracingframes.com/id75.htm
Something you may want to read for future use . The bead looks good and they will get better the more you weld . When I have to weld something that has been powdercoated I use a grinding wheel , then follow up with a flapper .
Yeah I have read that in the past, and it was on my mind when I was doing this. I'm sure ANY of the fumes are bad for you. Incredibly scarey what happened to that fella. The aircraft stripper does dry pretty quickly and I thoroughly wire brushed the area. I'm sure most of the fumes were from the backside of the pieces I was welding and the paint melting off.

Thanks for saying the bead looks good, especially if you're a welder yourself.
Unread 08-01-2012, 06:37 PM   #104
rt4422
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm

Yeah I have read that in the past, and it was on my mind when I was doing this. I'm sure ANY of the fumes are bad for you. Incredibly scarey what happened to that fella. The aircraft stripper does dry pretty quickly and I thoroughly wire brushed the area. I'm sure most of the fumes were from the backside of the pieces I was welding and the paint melting off.

Thanks for saying the bead looks good, especially if you're a welder yourself.
If you know something is galvanized you need to grind it until there are sparks flying.
Unread 08-01-2012, 06:49 PM   #105
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Ok now I didn't know that. I don't foresee welding much if any galvanized but it's good to know it can make you sick. I just read a long thread in a welding forum about it. (Zinc fume fever) FLU like symptoms for several days after being exposed. Some say there are no long term effects, some say how can there NOT be any long term effects. Now here's something weird..... Drink MILK before welding galvanized and it helps you not get sick... I think some type of respiratory mask is in my future. I don't need welding taking years off my life. I already spent many years as a painter breathing that **** in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt4422 View Post
If you know something is galvanized you need to grind it until there are sparks flying.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.