Nate's 2002 TJ, simple but effective.... - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Nate's 2002 TJ, simple but effective....

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 07-06-2012, 06:15 AM   #76
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Cool build so far , I would love to come wheel all that granite with you some day
Thanks man. If you're ever out west let me know!

gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2012, 10:03 PM   #77
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

SAVVY half doors

Got my medium sized brown box today containing a little Savvyness. I'm not quite sure why I just couldn't live without these, and even now..... that they are actually on my Jeep I still don't know! haha. They are neat though, and will serve there purpose just fine.

Install is pretty basic although it took me a bit to figure out just what was what and where it was going to go. The hardware bag was also much more than expected (it always is, it seems like). The instructions got me through it, but are lacking in my opinion. No photos and you have to keep referencing the hardware list to correspond to whatever step your on.... Kind of weird I thought. It's nothing you really can't figure out on your own though, I just like to follow instructions perfectly for the best install possible.

Here is all the hardware sorted out: Nice quality stainless, lots of it~!

Cross braces, These are also nice pieces, I would have liked to have seen a vertical brace as well, you can easily twist the door, A little surprised at the lack of structural rigidity. I don't see it as an issue, but when the first thing people do is grab the door and pull on it to see how "stout" it is..... it twists quite a bit giving the impression it's pretty flimsy...

First you mount the hinges

Then you can loosely mount the skin onto the hinges.

Then you go to ACE because you're missing the 4 bolts to mount the latches! BOOOO.... annoying!

Then you can mount the latches, pretty easy to adjust really, just get everything on loosely, jiggle it around till it's operating smoothly and snug things up. They are so light it's pretty easy.

Then the support bars go on. Nicely countensunk screws, all holes lined up perfect.

The cable and release lever are pretty ingenious and seem to work well. The positioning is good and operation is smooth and simplicity is high.

Ohhh so pretty almost.... now you gotta get some type of cleaner and get all the lettering off the aluminum. Some stainless cleaner took it right off...

Some final tweaking on the latches and I was ready for a test drive.

All cleaned up and looking, clean.

Test drive revealed that they rattle at the very bottom, not really surprised since they kind of wobble pretty easy. The solution is simple though, I can move the latch striker out about 1/16 and it shouldn't hit the tub at all, or I was thinking just a very thin strip of adhesive weather stripping along just the bottom would do the trick also..... Not a huge deal but I must reiterate I wish they were more rigid!

Overall I'm happy with my purchase, Leaving them raw will definitely make your Jeep stand out. Some will hate it, some will love it. I personally love unfinished metal, I wish my entire jeep was just raw metal.

I think with the PSC louvered hood panel in raw aluminum and the Raceline Beadlocks I'm planning on getting this thing's gonna look pretty crazy, haha.

I made a short video kind of showing the latch function that's uploading to Youtube right now... I'll post that in a bit. I'm also going to cross post this in it's own thread since my little thread doesn't get much traffic, just in case some people are on the fence about these and wanted some more info.
Unread 07-09-2012, 10:24 PM   #78
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Youtube Vid.....

Unread 07-10-2012, 05:23 AM   #79
jeepinhokie
built not bought

2004 TJ Wrangler 

they sure do look nice,

I too would be a little disapointed if they were a little floppy. jeep sure is looking good though.

A Hokie build

check out my jeepin videos!
jeepinhokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2012, 06:55 AM   #80
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinhokie View Post
they sure do look nice,

I too would be a little disapointed if they were a little floppy. jeep sure is looking good though.
Thanks buddy! It's going to take some time since my wife is getting a little tweaked out by the constant Jeep mods this past year but I can't wait to get the next couple mods going.... the function and look is gonna be pretty neat IMO. Then maybe I can leave the damn thing alone for little while.......
Unread 07-18-2012, 09:19 PM   #81
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Wheeled Swamp Lake Trail today in the Sierra's. GREAT day of wheeling! The trail is over 10 miles of technical rock crawling. Considered to be a challenging trail by many and definitely one that would be good for camping. I've done it several times in one day, and today we covered it in 7 hours moving pretty good with two fairly capable rigs.

This was my first time on it since many mods ago, so I was excited to try some new lines that I may have shy'ed away from in the past. This trail is a belly scraper, I don't care how much clearance you have, so there was plenty of scraping on this and that, but no breakage. My buddy drives a well set up 4 runner with gobs of clearance in every direction and although he doesn't scrape nearly as much as me, even he got his fair share today. FUN!

I've got some vids uploading to youtube i'll share later. I did upload one already though. My buddy in his 4 runner walked this line with ease while I had a little excitement. I knew the tire was in the air but I also knew it would settle if I could get just a little more forward movement so I kept in it and made the line. This one was purely a function of wheelbase! I think I had more fun though.

Here's a few pics my son snapped that I thought turned out good! He's 12 and endures these long wheeling days with no complaints. Good father son time today since he's getting ready to start Junior high, we had some good talks.

The beginning of the day / still clean! DUSTY today!

Sick 4runner

Coming up "rooster" rock.... nice climb. Picture does NO justice!

Little tire lift, cliff to the left... no big deal.

This thing goes places.....

Thanks for looking!

Last edited by gst95dsm; 07-18-2012 at 09:25 PM.. Reason: typos
Unread 07-18-2012, 09:43 PM   #82
rt4422
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Sweet build! Any pictures of the bike cable shifter? I've been wanting to do this.
rt4422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2012, 05:13 AM   #83
jeepinhokie
built not bought

2004 TJ Wrangler 

looks like a great time...

A Hokie build

check out my jeepin videos!
jeepinhokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2012, 06:41 AM   #84
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt4422 View Post
Sweet build! Any pictures of the bike cable shifter? I've been wanting to do this.
I'll see if I can find some, it's real simple though.
Unread 07-19-2012, 06:45 AM   #85
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Here's a few more videos from yesterday. Good times...

Unread 07-19-2012, 04:12 PM   #86
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt4422 View Post
Here's a couple pics I found. Basically I asked for the most basic bicycle cable shifter they had and I think 8 feet of cable. It's pretty easy to just run the cable similar to the throttle cable. To attach it to the throttle I just looped it around and used a wire crimp connector. I didn't think this would last but it has for almost a year now with no signs of failure, with regular usage. As far as attaching the shift lever to the stick I just cut a piece of fuel tubing to wrap around the the stick (to make it thicker) so I could tighten up the clamp. Worked out perfect. This $20 investment has made getting started on steep hills so much more controllable I could never live without it now.

Unread 07-22-2012, 10:53 PM   #87
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

About to pull the trigger on the Raceline Monster beadlocks....... can't decide on black steel rings or just aluminum since they will surely be getting scratched up.... any reason to get either one besides looks??
Unread 07-23-2012, 12:32 AM   #88
chris56
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Nice Jeep man, do you ever get bothered by police for your fenders?
chris56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2012, 05:29 AM   #89
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris56 View Post
Nice Jeep man, do you ever get bothered by police for your fenders?
Thanks! And no never been bothered. It'll probably happen though.
Unread 07-23-2012, 06:25 AM   #90
mj24lyons
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Sweet Jeep, your not too far away. Maybe we can hit a trail sometime.
mj24lyons is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.