Nate's 2002 TJ, simple but effective.... - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Nate's 2002 TJ, simple but effective....

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 07-04-2012, 01:58 PM   #61
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

That's good info! I may just do a little front end overhaul soon, well I'll probably wait till it starts cooling off actually pending any actual failures. That picture of it broke on the trail is good motivation! I also haven't changed a U joint in years so it would be a good idea to brush up on the procedure in the garage... rather than on the trail.

gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2012, 02:24 PM   #62
justanotherjpr

It has been my experience that when a U joint breaks it takes at least one part of the shaft with it. I would recommend getting a spare set and changing the joints in those, then swapping that set in. You could then carry your stock set as a set of trail spares. I have a few sets in the garage for that reason.
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2012, 02:39 PM   #63
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherjpr View Post
It has been my experience that when a U joint breaks it takes at least one part of the shaft with it. I would recommend getting a spare set and changing the joints in those, then swapping that set in. You could then carry your stock set as a set of trail spares. I have a few sets in the garage for that reason.
Ok now that's a great idea! Definitely what i'll do.
Unread 07-04-2012, 02:50 PM   #64
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Well a little painting and I guess this clean up is done! I found out today that Rustoleum DARK grey is a perfect match to the grey RC uses on all there parts. That worked out good.

I KNOW eventually I'll get sick of touching up the grey because I have to half *** mask off the surrounding black but it'll all stay grey for now, it wasn't to a big a deal and the color match was so good I was surprised.

Touched up arm...

Love it when the front end is cleaned up... funny how after all the wheeling i've done my stock Diff covers have barely been touched besides the bottom three bolts getting abused... One day i'll get some beefier ones. Anyone reading this ever personally destroy a diff cover to the point it was an issue?? Pics?? Curious...

Rear's pretty boring... my faithful little d35 soldier

Gotta put the wheels back on, torque it.... and call it a day.

Last edited by gst95dsm; 07-04-2012 at 02:52 PM.. Reason: typos
Unread 07-04-2012, 09:24 PM   #65
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Well after a well deserved nap the jeep is back on all fours, officially inspected and ready for the next trip. Now it's time to give my other toy a little love.... got to finish swapping back to my Supermoto wheels. Stripped a caliper bolt the other day.... damnit!

2003 DRZ400S/SM

Unread 07-05-2012, 01:39 PM   #66
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Ordered some Savvy aluminum half doors last Sunday, was hoping they'd be here today (I'm only 4 hours away, 1 day UPS ground transit). I just got an email saying they are just shipping today! And actually not even arrived at UPS yet. Man I must be getting spoiled by the quick shipping most e-tailers are able to provide cause this irritates me, haha.... Probably be Monday now. Darn.
Unread 07-05-2012, 01:44 PM   #67
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

the Jeep is turning out great. looks like your really having fun with it. Have to ask though, why the savvy half doors? you already have half doors?

those long arms really do hang pretty low though.

and do i see a trend with white and black toys?

A Hokie build

check out my jeepin videos!
jeepinhokie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2012, 01:54 PM   #68
ItsJustD
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Nice build, once I saw your engine bay and noticed the 4 banger.... I felt less alone, I was starting to feel like the only one with a 2.5L TJ.
ItsJustD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2012, 02:00 PM   #69
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinhokie View Post
the Jeep is turning out great. looks like your really having fun with it. Have to ask though, why the savvy half doors? you already have half doors?

those long arms really do hang pretty low though.

and do i see a trend with white and black toys?
Thanks, and yeah the Savvy doors are just a little extravagance for some reason I just couldn't do with out. I used to run no doors in the summer until I had an incident last year getting a little tippy and for some stupid reason I actually stuck my foot out as a reaction...... well this really pissed me off that I reacted that way so ever since then I keep the doors on as a reminder / punishment. I'm very conscious wheeling with them on though, since they are so pricey, I don't want to beat them up to bad. So basically...

The Savvy doors will keep my legs in.
They can get scratched up / banged up all I want (rebuildable)
They will save me about 40lbs vs. standard halfs
Since they are basically hollow I'll get a little more room for my knee (i'm tall and this is always an issue in any vehicle for me)
And finally aesthetically they look badass to me, with my metalcloak inner fenders and access panel raw aluminum, and savvy GTS, I think it'll look pretty neat.

Even with all that...... still just blowing money! haha. And yes I like my machines in white.... with black rims usually.
Unread 07-05-2012, 02:07 PM   #70
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsJustD View Post
Nice build, once I saw your engine bay and noticed the 4 banger.... I felt less alone, I was starting to feel like the only one with a 2.5L TJ.
Thanks man! Yeah my little 2.5 gets the job done every time. My wheeling style is usually so slow and slinky it's never been an issue at all. I even drove this thing from California to Michigan (on 31's). Re gearing the axles and getting the Tera Low really helped off road. And fwiw, I can cruise on the freeway at 65/70 all I want.....in 5th as long as it's flat with the 35's. Not bad for the little guy.
Unread 07-05-2012, 02:08 PM   #71
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

You gonna sell them 1/2 doors? I wouldn't even have to paint them!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003

www.norcal-jeeps.com
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2012, 02:10 PM   #72
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthetj03 View Post
You gonna sell them 1/2 doors? I wouldn't even have to paint them!
Trade + cash on my end for your fulls!
Unread 07-05-2012, 02:16 PM   #73
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
Trade + cash on my end for your fulls!
Temping, but I like my fulls in the winter months. Fraid I'd kick myself if I got rid of em!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003

www.norcal-jeeps.com
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2012, 02:23 PM   #74
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthetj03 View Post
Temping, but I like my fulls in the winter months. Fraid I'd kick myself if I got rid of em!
Don't blame ya.... My doors / soft uppers in decent shape + $200. Think about it!
Unread 07-05-2012, 11:26 PM   #75
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Cool build so far , I would love to come wheel all that granite with you some day

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.