Nate's 2002 TJ, simple but effective.... - Page 48 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Nate's 2002 TJ, simple but effective....

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 03-18-2013, 08:11 PM   #706
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
Thanks Beasley! Saved me some time there. Uhg, since the cash kind of just fell into my lap..... I'm having a hard time not getting the orange boots. If only I can think of ANOTHER mod to soak up that money, haha. Also I could literally walk into Yukon tomorrow and pick them up..... that's gonna be tough not to do.

If the RCV's are what you want get them . I think they are an awesome design and at one time I thought they were going in my rig . I decided I wanted something simpler so that led me to the Superior shafts . Yukons are supposed to be a decent shaft , but the warranty limitation made me shy away from them.

Unread 03-18-2013, 08:29 PM   #707
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
If the RCV's are what you want get them . I think they are an awesome design and at one time I thought they were going in my rig . I decided I wanted something simpler so that led me to the Superior shafts . Yukons are supposed to be a decent shaft , but the warranty limitation made me shy away from them.
I'm thinking the same thing though... A birfield might as well be the innards of a koo koo clock to me, and If I ever needed to fiddle with it would be a whole nother can of worms. I wasn't aware of that warranty limitation.... and yes that's a big deal.

This is a dumb question and I don't know the answer 100% because I don't have a Rubi D44, but are the axles shafts identical to a standard issue D30 or is the spline count or size a little bigger? Only reason I ask is that I would also assume the material or the "ears" so to speak would aslo have more material making them stronger. This would be an advantage for the RCV in that regard.... when talking about a standard issue D30 axle shaft.

I don't think that made ANY sense!
gst95dsm is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2013, 10:04 PM   #708
jrallen
2000 TJ Wrangler 

The only similarities that I know of between shafts for a 30 and a 44 would be the outers. The stub shafts are exactly the same. I'm not really sure if that answers your question.
jrallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2013, 10:36 PM   #709
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Only difference is the 30 spline inners over the 27 spline inner shafts the D30 uses.

Other than that, they are the same. Same stubs, same ears (inner and outer) and same small 5-760x (297x) u-joint.
What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2013, 10:40 PM   #710
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

So I'm looking a little closer at the Yukon's.... and I think Beasley may have misinterpreted the warranty a bit.

"This warranty is not transferable to another party, "No questions asked" replacement for FIRST warranty return, however, Yukon reserves the right to either replace or refund the purchase price after the first warranty claim."

So basically they are protecting themselves from people running bad set ups. And that's just smart business. And not saying that after one break they are done with you. Thats how I took it at least.
Unread 03-18-2013, 10:43 PM   #711
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrallen View Post
The only similarities that I know of between shafts for a 30 and a 44 would be the outers. The stub shafts are exactly the same. I'm not really sure if that answers your question.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO2500 View Post
Only difference is the 30 spline inners over the 27 spline inner shafts the D30 uses.

Other than that, they are the same. Same stubs, same ears (inner and outer) and same small 5-760x (297x) u-joint.
Thanks Mike, that was my hunch and I was at work where I couldn't search effectively to find that out .... where would you spend your money??? I respect your opinion a lot Mike. I know you've wheeled the ****aki outta yours.
Unread 03-18-2013, 10:53 PM   #712
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

If I were keeping my D30 and planned on staying with 35's mid to long-term, I would invest in RCV shafts. I think they make a solid product. The weak point of the 30/44 stuff is the u-joint IMO. I think the only thing comparable is Superior Evolutions and CTM u-joints, but then you are at or over the price of RCVs so cost is out the window.

That said, as a temporary solution (because I knew I wasn't keeping the D30 for more than 12 months) I tossed a pair of Ten factory chromos in my D30 before my Colorado/Moab trip last year (just because I didn't want to be fixing stuff while I was out there) and was impressed with them. Never had any issues beating on it with 35s last season. I'll probably give Ten Factory 35 spline outer stubs a try on my D60.
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 03-18-2013, 11:01 PM   #713
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
If I were keeping my D30 and planned on staying with 35's, I would invest in RCV shafts. I think they make a solid product.

That said, as a temporary solution (because I knew I wasn't keeping the D30 for more than 12 months) I tossed a pair of Ten factory chromos in my D30 before my Colorado/Moab trip last year (just because I didn't want to be fixing stuff while I was out there) and was impressed with them. Never had any issues beating on it with 35s last season. I'll probably give Ten Factory 35 spline outer stubs a try on my D60.
Doh!, well I think I do plan to keep it a long time. I don't see me ever going bigger than 35's. And this is after having 35's for a while so it's not just a knee jerk reaction to just getting 35's. I honestly think for a cost effective, street driven, family oriented rig, it's the perfect tire size. Especially if you can make the factory axle assemblies that came with the vehicle live attached to them, which I've done now for quite some time. 10 Factory eh..... what's the deal with them???? Any difference at all from Yukon or Superior? Should I just start looking at the Chromoly type and make sure the U joint's are spicer 760's? And stop worrying about the brand? Confusion sets in....
Unread 03-18-2013, 11:04 PM   #714
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Finished up this little gem today before work.... came out pretty nice I think. Some good welding practice for sure. I've got this, and my ball joints to press in tomorrow, and the final axle decision. Also going to order the unit bearing from Rock auto. No way am I going to slap new axles into old unit bearings.

Unread 03-18-2013, 11:37 PM   #715
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I believe it goes something like this: one of the guys that started Alloy USA (originally from Superior IIRC), now produces the Ten factory brand through Motive Gear after Alloy USA was purchased by Omix ADA. Did you follow that?

The shafts are made overseas but have proven to be a pretty nice product on the more budget friendly end of the spectrum. The machining and finish on the D30 set I had was very nice from what I could tell. A lot of guys are running them without issue.

I think they are on par with Yukon or Superior discovery. The weak point IMO is the small u-joint. On Jay's jeep, the 5-760x u-joint was the first thing to go before the Nitro shafts destroyed themselves. If I were to do standard chromos instead of RCVs I would look into a tougher u-joint. Super joints, CTMs, ect... I think the highest quality u-joint style shafts are easily the Superior Evolution series but last I checked they were not available or so far backordered you wouldn't get them till 2014. That may or may not still be the case, I haven't checked in on their status since I was shopping for D30 chromos last spring.
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 03-19-2013, 12:25 AM   #716
midnight_f150
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I know that this is like comparing apples to oranges. But I've seen rock bouncers beat there rigs to death. But I havent seen any of the RCV shaft break yet. But I also know they use bigger axle then a dana 30.
midnight_f150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2013, 07:39 AM   #717
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I think the highest quality u-joint style shafts are easily the Superior Evolution series but last I checked they were not available or so far backordered you wouldn't get them till 2014. That may or may not still be the case, I haven't checked in on their status since I was shopping for D30 chromos last spring.
You are correct that they are still back ordered , I tried to order them yesterday . The rolled splines is one of the things that makes them stronger, and I think they are the only one using that process . I went with the discoverys as that seemed to be the next best thing .

Quote:
So I'm looking a little closer at the Yukon's.... and I think Beasley may have misinterpreted the warranty a bit.

"This warranty is not transferable to another party, "No questions asked" replacement for FIRST warranty return, however, Yukon reserves the right to either replace or refund the purchase price after the first warranty claim."
I am going off of what I was told by a large vendor . He said point blank that Yukon would only swap out shafts once . This was based on his experience warrantying broken shafts .
Quote:
So basically they are protecting themselves from people running bad set ups. And that's just smart business. And not saying that after one break they are done with you. Thats how I took it at least.
I agree that is how it looks on paper . I still think either set will treat us fine with a low probability of breakage .
Unread 03-19-2013, 08:25 AM   #718
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
You are correct that they are still back ordered , I tried to order them yesterday . The rolled splines is one of the things that makes them stronger, and I think they are the only one using that process . I went with the discoverys as that seemed to be the next best thing .

I am going off of what I was told by a large vendor . He said point blank that Yukon would only swap out shafts once . This was based on his experience warrantying broken shafts .

I agree that is how it looks on paper . I still think either set will treat us fine with a low probability of breakage .
Sorry Beasley I meant to add, that I figured you were going off of what an actual vendors experience was. Luckily for me I could go right down to their corporate office and raise hell (if ever needed) as it's about 10 minutes from me. haha.

Ok I got to tired to continue the research, so I'm up early..... and gonna get this pinned down. Thanks everyone for the help!
Unread 03-19-2013, 08:31 AM   #719
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight_f150 View Post
I know that this is like comparing apples to oranges. But I've seen rock bouncers beat there rigs to death. But I havent seen any of the RCV shaft break yet. But I also know they use bigger axle then a dana 30.
Yeah, and that's awesome to see. Upon further research.... and now that I'll actually have spare stock shafts ready to go. Do I want a bullet proof axle when I don't have a bullet proof R/P..... and here we go down the "fuse" line of thinking. . I would much rather break an axle... MUCH.
Unread 03-19-2013, 08:37 AM   #720
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Holy ****! That's expensive.... Never looked into these. In shock!

http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-117...-u-joints.html

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.