Nate's 2002 TJ, simple but effective.... - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Nate's 2002 TJ, simple but effective....

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 05-31-2012, 01:47 PM   #46
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Looking good! Lot of progress in relatively short time!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003

www.norcal-jeeps.com
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2012, 08:01 PM   #47
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks Bob, to me its painfully slow waiting for more Jeep money. After the bills are paid, there's so many other hobbies besides the Jeep. Never enough!
gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2012, 12:20 AM   #48
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Added another little piece to the puzzle today. Savvy GTS. Nice piece of work as expected! Shipped fast and complete.

Makes me want more aluminum!

Install is cake, I've already dropped my tank once to modify my stock skid by cutting off an inch and re bending the mounting tabs to gain clearance after my 1 inch body lift. So I was familiar with the process and over all it was a little disappointing just how quickly the install went!

Stock / but modified skid clearance was 16 5 at the lowest point, and now I have 17.25 at the lowest point. Pretty good! The real two reasons for this purchase was that my stock skid has taken some HARD hits and that my track bar was all over it.

So pretty

stock skid track bar clearance... none!

Savvy clearance... some!

All buttoned up and looking sexy...

Next thing............ CO2 tank! Getting old and airing up at the end of the day with a compressor while my buddies have power tanks is
Unread 06-12-2012, 08:39 PM   #49
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

This is kind of lame but it was something that bothered me a bit. I did the typical "wrap around" license plate mod when I did my corners and tail lights but always hated the unfinished look of it. I even did a little search for a curved license plate frame a while back to no avail. Well I didn't realize for some reason how nicely a cheap pep boys frame would bend until I saw one on another jeep today. So I picked one up and bam.... looks a lot better. Bent like nothing and looks like it was made that way. It was even already black. Now I need a simple little light..... hmmm. Sometimes cheap little stuff can be fun too.

Unread 06-17-2012, 10:03 AM   #50
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

I had a chance to test out my Savvy GTS yesterday. We ran Red and Coyote trail near Shaver Lake CA. Very fun trails with some challenging boulder fields and tough optional lines. Both of these trails end at lakes that were beautiful and provide some great camping opportunities. Bring your bug spray though, the mosquito's were quite bad. We were making good time in and out, with no real issues until my friend with a Toyota snapped all 4 steering knuckle studs! Not good. We had to drill them out, easy out and then pull 1 stud from each lower and the other upper knuckle so he'd have 3 at least.... well this took forever.... Drove out in the dark, home by 1am. Good times. Here's a few pics. Loved the Savvy GTS, Seemed to hit way less with the extra clearance, and rear suspension motion seems more fluid and quiet due the track bar not rubbing the skid. Also loving the Swag tailgate, I think that mod get's more attention than any other.... well maybe a tie with the MC fenders.

Gate keeper at the start of Coyote... got lucky with my line and walked it pretty easy.

Unread 06-17-2012, 10:07 AM   #51
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Gotta love the tailgate...

Savvy Gts at work...

Another good day of wheeling in the books....
Unread 06-17-2012, 02:03 PM   #52
Sgt.Fuzz
Web Wheeler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Nice pics. And the rig is looking good.
Unread 06-17-2012, 02:15 PM   #53
gspup
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Looks like you had fun !
Unread 06-17-2012, 08:41 PM   #54
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt.Fuzz View Post
Nice pics. And the rig is looking good.
Thanks Fuzz, appreciate your comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspup View Post
Looks like you had fun !
Fun, looooong day though. If I had, had today off it would have been no big deal, but having to work today sucked! All good... time to clean up the Jeep.
Unread 06-18-2012, 11:43 PM   #55
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Finally had a chance to clean up the Jeep today and do a little post run damage survey, this was probably the toughest I've been on it since a lot of mods ago. Happy to say everything is cool. Only thing I noticed and was a little surprised to see is a big ol dent in my windshield frame, haha I have no idea when that happened! Oh well I'm actually surprised it's the first time i've hit it.

Also had a little extra time to clean my engine bay, kind of a waste of time since it's all dust for the next few months up there. Clean right now though....

Well she's cleaned up and ready for the next adventure....
Unread 07-04-2012, 01:08 AM   #56
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Had a chance to go wheeling today. Today we did a short section of Swamp lake trail and The Brewer lake trail, both of these are located just past Shaver Lake CA. The small section of the Swamp trail we did was to check out an old quartz mine..... it's a pretty neat spot with a lot of still standing buildings from the early 1900's I presume....

The miners cabin, still in pretty good shape...

The actual mine... I've been in it a few times. Not smart but fun.

Random trail shots... Jeep worked good as ever.

Such a poser...

And here's a vid coming out of Brewer Lake right at the bottom. This is a knarly spot. Very fun to watch rigs come through it. One of my favorite little spots to mess around. Good spot to bang some stuff up.

Unread 07-04-2012, 01:23 AM   #57
justanotherjpr

Great looking TJ thanks for posting all the pics and videos!
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2012, 09:27 AM   #58
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherjpr View Post
Great looking TJ thanks for posting all the pics and videos!
Thanks man! My little thread doesn't get much traffic but I'm glad at least a few people enjoy the pics and vids.

Should be a great morning today.... major jeep clean up, gonna bust out the black rattle can and do some painting underneath... freshen things up a bit.
Unread 07-04-2012, 12:46 PM   #59
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

The clean up has begun... well sorta. It doesn't need much lol. I always like to do thorough post inspections underneath to see what's going on, actually I think I just like laying under my jeep looking at it's guts for some reason. Hot out today ...

Looks like the ol' long arms are taking some abuse, but handling it just fine. I do scrape them a lot, I don't know if it's actually MORE than the short arms...... scraped them plenty too.

Now this is a little concerning.... I'm surprised it's actually in this good a shape after all these years, but these are definitely some new scratches. I wish there were more options for bolt on oil pan skids for 2.5's! This is going to the top of the next mod list...

The RC skid is holding up great, I'm really surprised just how little I actually drag it around, The only bit of scraping is on the far edges of it, center's never been touched... weird. I'm really low too.

Ok well after inspecting the front end and looking for anything out of place, everything looks cool. I'm kind of waiting for some front end parts to start showing some wear. My jeep has 87k on it. Stock U-joints, Ball joints, unit bearings...... no issues though so I'll keep running it I guess.

Now off to the store to get some paint, Gotta get her all cleaned up for her little SAVVY surprise tomorrow.

Last edited by gst95dsm; 07-04-2012 at 12:47 PM.. Reason: typos
Unread 07-04-2012, 02:06 PM   #60
justanotherjpr

When you do replace the ball joints, make sure you get Spicer units. A friend swapped this D30 into his Explorer and ran 33" TrXus tires with an aussie locker. The axle was of unknown mileage but the ball joints were within spec and did not have appreciable play. He did not change them and on his first trip out:

The lower joint pulled apart at the bottom and so did the upper joint. This caused the knuckle to come apart and ruined the lower joint beyond any kind of repair.

We were able to stick the upper joint back in and use a bolt through the bottom like this:

So we could get him home like this:

When I swapped an HP30 into my XJ, I changed the ball joints even though the existing ones are good. Remember, we put a LOT more abuse on these than they were ever meant to withstand, so standard service intervals don't always apply. I would also recommend sticking with Spicer 760 U joints (though I don't get the impression that you cheap out anyway).
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.