Nate's 2002 TJ, simple but effective.... - Page 295 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Nate's 2002 TJ, simple but effective....

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 05-06-2014, 05:29 PM   #4411
4xfiend
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Can't tell by the picture, but can you cut a section out of each side of the bumper and re-weld narrower? I have the ProComp bumper (cause it was cheap) and it was full width but I cut it down to just past the frame on each side, took out a few inches, then welded the ends back on. Looks 1000x better IMO.

Jeep looks good. Looks like a nice build for a moderate wheeler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
I DON'T FRIGGIN' CARE!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim M
Please keep the facts to yourself; nobody here wants to hear them. This was a perfectly good internet argument until you came along with anecdotal evidence.
4xfiend is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2014, 07:13 PM   #4412
elclipo
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Do you have pictures of the sliders? Off the jeep or from underneath?
elclipo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2014, 08:29 PM   #4413
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xfiend View Post
Can't tell by the picture, but can you cut a section out of each side of the bumper and re-weld narrower? I have the ProComp bumper (cause it was cheap) and it was full width but I cut it down to just past the frame on each side, took out a few inches, then welded the ends back on. Looks 1000x better IMO.

Jeep looks good. Looks like a nice build for a moderate wheeler.
That's exactly what I did with mine that I had that was like that. It's a great idea and yes I could do it. It would however destroy the currently nice wrinkle finish, and then I'd still have the full width rear bumper to also deal with. I'm going to leave them as is for now, if he doesn't like them (not likely) we can make a change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elclipo View Post
Do you have pictures of the sliders? Off the jeep or from underneath?
I can take some for ya, I really like them!
Unread 05-06-2014, 10:09 PM   #4414
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

I knocked out the winch install tonight. I've never seen an ENGO winch in person and I must say they are quite underwhelming. They look to be about Harbor Freight quality. The control switch is about as cheap as they come but looks simple enough that if it ever gave issue you could fix it easy. The engage and free spool lever has a nice solid feel and the wiring going into the solenoid box looks to be quite durable. There's nothing hard about installing a winch so I won't ramble on about it...... I'm glad I bought him one and I'm sure it will be just fine. Oh yeah..... the free spool was VERY smooth and easy and during a powered test the unit sounded good and smooth. I've heard some winches right outta the box that sounded terrible and rough! I think the front end looks pretty complete now and I am starting to get used to the bumper a little more.

Easily my favorite part so far on this jeep is these sliders.... here's a few more photos as requested.

The lift gets here tomorrow..... knowing me I'll probably start on it after work tomorrow. Here's an updated list of what's left to install.

2" BDS lift
2" bump stop extensions
R/C rear track bar bracket
3/4" Coil Spacers (to level front)
Big Daddy off road Tie-rod
D30 Aussie locker

A little painting and general detailing and we'll be ready to deliver it. He's still got no idea his Harley is gone.
Unread 05-07-2014, 07:24 AM   #4415
elclipo
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the pics. They seem pretty easy to install. They came with that finish on them as well?
elclipo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2014, 08:38 AM   #4416
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elclipo View Post
Thanks for the pics. They seem pretty easy to install. They came with that finish on them as well?
Yeah they did and it looks nice right now. I hear it doesn't last but hey..... it was a huge time saver for me with this build and rattle canning them black later on is no big deal.
Unread 05-07-2014, 11:05 AM   #4417
SLAGdawg
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Trying to read through this build thread right now, and I'm not even to page 100 yet. Still I love what you've done with the jeep! Awesome job from a fellow white TJ guy (soon to be cloaked too).

Great White Buffalo Build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/great-white-buffalo-slow-build-1538022/
SLAGdawg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2014, 12:14 PM   #4418
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAGdawg
Trying to read through this build thread right now, and I'm not even to page 100 yet. Still I love what you've done with the jeep! Awesome job from a fellow white TJ guy (soon to be cloaked too).
Thanks man, I'd skip ahead a ways to just before the Moab trip, then skip to the stretch. Haha I have no idea how the thread got this long, probably to much rambling by myself. Thanks for reading though. Congrats on the cloaks!
Unread 05-07-2014, 01:12 PM   #4419
SLAGdawg
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
Thanks man, I'd skip ahead a ways to just before the Moab trip, then skip to the stretch. Haha I have no idea how the thread got this long, probably to much rambling by myself. Thanks for reading though. Congrats on the cloaks!
Yeah I've started scanning through for jeep talk trying to bypass all the (entertaining) chatter.

Thanks man. They arrived today, but I'm still at school taking exams until tomorrow :thumb down:

Any tips on painting them? I'm planning on color matching them like you, which is actually how I found your jeep. I was searching for white TJ's with white MC's and yours popped up!

Great White Buffalo Build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/great-white-buffalo-slow-build-1538022/
Unread 05-07-2014, 02:26 PM   #4420
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAGdawg
Yeah I've started scanning through for jeep talk trying to bypass all the (entertaining) chatter. Thanks man. They arrived today, but I'm still at school taking exams until tomorrow :thumb down: Any tips on painting them? I'm planning on color matching them like you, which is actually how I found your jeep. I was searching for white TJ's with white MC's and yours popped up!
Just use the dupli Color stuff. Use a self etching primer first. Wet sand it. Then do the color. Then dupli color clear. It should come out good and match well. I've had good results with everything I've tried to paint with that stuff.
Unread 05-07-2014, 04:51 PM   #4421
SLAGdawg
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
Just use the dupli Color stuff. Use a self etching primer first. Wet sand it. Then do the color. Then dupli color clear. It should come out good and match well. I've had good results with everything I've tried to paint with that stuff.
Thank you very much sir!

Unread 05-07-2014, 11:14 PM   #4422
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Got the BDS 2" lift on tonight with the 2" bumpstop extensions and 3/4" spacer in the front. It came out nice! I like the springs and the shocks feel soft so I'm sure it'll ride decent. The stance is just about perfect with the 3/4 spacer in the front. Pretty happy with it! A bunch of odds and ends to do still but it's getting close to being a cool little TJ.

image-520131211.jpg

image-3819080423.jpg

image-1131210102.jpg

image-1520650474.jpg
Unread 05-08-2014, 05:11 AM   #4423
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

It amazes me how quickly you work , nice job as usual .
Unread 05-08-2014, 09:01 AM   #4424
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
It amazes me how quickly you work , nice job as usual .
Thanks man, this jeep is in such great condition nothing has fought me going in. It's all basic bolt on's but it's nice not to have to fight any bolts or deal with any hack work by a PO.

List for tomorrow and Saturday...

rear track bar bracket (if I remember correctly these are a pain in the ***)
Tie rod and DIY alignment
Aussie locker
Painting underneath
Oil Change
Paint sound bar and roll bar pads
Swap out the spare
Install the Rampage safari top
Vacuum and clean interior
Wash and wax

Damn that's quite a bit of work to do still.
Unread 05-08-2014, 09:07 AM   #4425
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

You've done my entire build in like a week. Cool.

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.