Nate's 2002 TJ, simple but effective.... - Page 230 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Nate's 2002 TJ, simple but effective....

2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 12-01-2013, 11:41 AM   #3436
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Art, I've run both the Currie 9120 and MC track bar. The Currie didn't have an issue and after I helped MC with their misalignment spacer redesign, it hasn't been an issue either. If it was an issue, I wouldn't be using it.

Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2013, 11:55 AM   #3437
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

All depends I guess, tell you this though if you take your Jeep out on a trail every weekend or bi weekly it will come loose. Both Currie and Metal cloak could come up with something better. When used hard frequently that bolt will work loose once it does the hole it resides in is never the same so keeping things tight will not get any easier. I don't care who makes it or what brand name it carries, it's not a good design, plain and simple. They come up with some kinda double sheer bracket it would be a much improved setup. Adding a Washer at the bottom of the heim is cute and atleast the thing will not fall off, but doesn't fix the issue that gives death wobble problems now does it?
Trust me I didn't cut up my Currie trackbar because I though it was fun. There was a problem that needed to be addressed, and hasn't been a problem for the last 4 years. Connor if you do some advising or design ideas for Metal cloack then help them design a bolt on bracket for their trackbar, so the heim mounts in double sheer, many current and future TJ jeepers will thank you for it
Unread 12-01-2013, 03:49 PM   #3438
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I wish I had the time to wheel every weekend.....but I drive it on the road almost daily. The single shear connection is seeing high side loads whether you're on or off the trail and if it's gonna come loose, it's gonna come loose....my fasteners are marked and they haven't budged a millimeter. Address that connection the right way and it's a non-issue. I spent a lot of time studying the issue as to why some track bars suffer from this and helped MC tackle it. There's more to those spacers than the added washer--improved contact surface area and a material change to handle the required torque were the main changes. I use a 3 foot breaker bar to torque the fasteners that Currie and MC use and haven't had an issue.....and some of the installs I've done hit the trail on a weekly basis, lucky bastards.

You're right that it's not an ideal design due to mechanical precession but how else will you maximize clearance with the diff cover and the tie rod without completely losing the factory frame mount and swapping out to a flatter pitman arm? It just won't happen without more work than most are willing to put in. I'm all for Nate giving that a shot and I'll be glad to provide any input necessary to help him get awesome results but I just don't think it's necessary. The MC track bar has proven itself to have excellent clearance with no side-effects. I'd give it a shot before going the custom route.
Unread 12-01-2013, 04:27 PM   #3439
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

RE makes a readily available bracket that does mount it in double sheer, beefs up the factory frame mount bracket and works fine with their front trackbar. Don't quite see what thew big problem is besides cost. Add to that the now readily available hydro assist kits and this becomes even more of a necessity.
Unread 12-01-2013, 05:17 PM   #3440
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

And those parts don't allow the up travel that the MC or Currie track bars allow, with the MC leading the way. I've messed with the RE bracket and track bar man, there's no way on this earth to make that setup clear as well as the other two. My axle can go up high enough to place my upper link mount tab against the AC compressor and, in fact, that's the limit that determines my bump stop configuration. I prefer to not have my track bar define my up travel.
Unread 12-01-2013, 05:24 PM   #3441
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Your setup is far from stock isn't it? I have all the travel it needs with the axle pushed forward to get a little wheelbase back, the springs rub the bump stop cups. Axle has a TNT truss and it's tight but everthing clears. I bet you m,oney that with very little work I can make that bracket work and get every bit as much axle travel without binding. There is enough room for everything there to get it to work with a bit of masaging, now with a D60 6" front stretch and 6" uptravel at 4" lift and true hi steer you have to really work at making things fit.
Unread 12-01-2013, 05:39 PM   #3442
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah it's far from stock but I still run Currie steering (tie rod flipped on top of knuckle) and the MC track bar with the factory frame mount. There's no way on earth that I could get the axle to tuck up as far as it currently can with the RE bracket and track bar.
Unread 12-01-2013, 06:39 PM   #3443
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Yeah it's far from stock but I still run Currie steering (tie rod flipped on top of knuckle) and the MC track bar with the factory frame mount. There's no way on earth that I could get the axle to tuck up as far as it currently can with the RE bracket and track bar.
I agree with both of Ya'll on this one. The double shear track bar mount is just the obvious way you would do it if the stock bracket didn't exist so it's the "right" way IMO. But it does seem like you can use either the Currie or MC or others and not have issues since that's what the majority are running in the aftermarket world and not everyone has a problem or else these things wouldn't exist. I'll be keeping the stock one for the time being since I just don't have a problem with it. Yes I redrilled the axle side mount 3/4" over but even that mounts is in perfect condition, no wallowing or signs of fatigue. This is also a wheeled jeep that has never Death wobbled so I must be doing something right. Good discussion though fellas. I honestly feel that you would have to experience wheeling with Art in JV to better understand some of his philosophy, I know what he says makes a lot more sense to me after having done just that!

Imped are you at all concerned about the strength of the stock frame side track bar mount? I'm trying to get a feel for how common the failure of the webbing is.
Unread 12-01-2013, 09:49 PM   #3444
_KONG_
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Hey nate you can see how I am using a RE trackbar with a rough country bracket in double shear in my build thread. It just clears the diff cover and goes to full bump with stock arms. So im sure if i had adjustables combined with the MC trackbar it would be a lot better. That bracket is bolted to the stock mount so it does come loose from time to time. But if it was welded where it is at right now it would work great.
_KONG_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2013, 10:06 PM   #3445
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by _KONG_
Hey nate you can see how I am using a RE trackbar with a rough country bracket in double shear in my build thread. It just clears the diff cover and goes to full bump with stock arms. So im sure if i had adjustables combined with the MC trackbar it would be a lot better. That bracket is bolted to the stock mount so it does come loose from time to time. But if it was welded where it is at right now it would work great.
I'll check it out. Thanks!
Unread 12-04-2013, 08:20 PM   #3446
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Nate buddy, is Whitelightning done yet? There's wheelin to be done.
Unread 12-04-2013, 09:15 PM   #3447
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
Nate buddy, is Whitelightning done yet? There's wheelin to be done.
Waitin on parts…. progress next Tuesday most likely. Major progress next Saturday, possible completion.
Unread 12-04-2013, 10:46 PM   #3448
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

So do you plan to move the front forward with this 3 link build? I'm just curious why all the track bar debate.
kyle_craig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2013, 09:04 AM   #3449
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_craig View Post
So do you plan to move the front forward with this 3 link build? I'm just curious why all the track bar debate.
Na, with 35's still on the rig I like the 100" wheelbase A LOT. Any more and I think it would be longer than I need.

Track bar debate… well, difference of opinion from two respected builders. It's all good.
Unread 12-05-2013, 10:01 AM   #3450
jermeyg
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Hey Nate looks like the fun is already started on your 3 link! Looking forward to see how things turn out. I am sure it will be spectacular.
jermeyg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.