Nate's 2002 TJ, simple but effective.... - Page 227 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Nate's 2002 TJ, simple but effective....

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 11-26-2013, 09:10 PM   #3391
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow_snocone View Post
The Nate mentality works tho so I see no issue there.
Thanks Kyle, somehow it does..... against all interweb knowledge.

Unread 11-26-2013, 09:15 PM   #3392
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
Yeah I know all this Art, but let's be honest.... by time I'm done with that $100 HP30 (+ my time dragging the SOB outta the junkyard) it's gonna be at least a $500 HP30. R&P, master kit, ball joints, and then my trial and error setting up a R&P for the first time on an axle I'm not even excited about..... no way Jose. And to pay someone to set up the gears would blow it way out of proportion.

And let's be honest again.... I'm outgrowing D30's. I'll wheel the **** outta this LP on 35's on ANY trail in country and when the time comes to have white lightening grow up, D30's are going to be the last thing on my mind.
It all depends on what your end game is. If you plan on staying on 35's for atleast several years it's not a bad thing to do. If it looks like White lightning is going to get bigger shoes withing a year or 2 then don't bother.
By the way a guy on MJR was selling a complete JK Dana 44 rear axle for 200 bucks in OC county So Cali
Unread 11-26-2013, 09:24 PM   #3393
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
It all depends on what your end game is. If you plan on staying on 35's for atleast several years it's not a bad thing to do. If it looks like White lightning is going to get bigger shoes withing a year or 2 then don't bother.
By the way a guy on MJR was selling a complete JK Dana 44 rear axle for 200 bucks in OC county So Cali
Haha, Tate said he didn't know what he wanted for Xmas.... maybe he would like a JK Dana44??? That's a steal.

I'll be rolling on 35's for the foreseeable future but it's not an end game.
Unread 11-26-2013, 09:27 PM   #3394
AngryTJ
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

why do these axle discussions always get so long winded...let the man use his lp 30 and have fun doing it for god sakes hes run a d35 for years now

Tarantula_TJ Build

2015 Colorado Trip
AngryTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2013, 09:40 PM   #3395
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryTJ View Post
why do these axle discussions always get so long winded...let the man use his lp 30 and have fun doing it for god sakes hes run a d35 for years now

I knew it would go this route, I tried to be direct right off the bat. I appreciate the comments though, peeps make some good points but I'm surprised it's not more well known that I never take much consideration into what "other" people's experiences have been with things as I have found that MY experiences are usually quite different. Why that is... I have no idea and it also transcends the Jeep world into everything I do. It's just me seeing things differently than most people.
Unread 11-26-2013, 09:48 PM   #3396
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Well you better keep the welder, grinder and sawzall plugged in lol. Lil Jeep will keep changing as your Jeep adventures escalate
Unread 11-26-2013, 10:26 PM   #3397
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Well you better keep the welder, grinder and sawzall plugged in lol. Lil Jeep will keep changing as your Jeep adventures escalate
I think that's what differentiates us Art. Now having wheeled with you on your home turf I better understand your build philosophy, but my home turf requires much less clearance. Your rig on my trails would probably be quite boring. My rig on my trails is a good time. My rig on your trails is an absolute thrill. I have to maintain that balance.
Unread 11-26-2013, 10:55 PM   #3398
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

It just depends what you get hooked on, you liked Moab, you got a cheap thrill out of some of our stuff. If we do this Utah thing or get you to come out for some Arizona excitement, you just end up coming back for more. Don't get me wrong I love some of the local put put trails for a quick wheelin fix. been enjoying the different kinda wheelin, easy run one week, fun Hammer stuff a week or 2 later makes for nice variety.
Unread 11-28-2013, 11:26 AM   #3399
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

For anyone who's replaced their lower control arm brackets on their D30 what ones did you use??? I thought I had it figured out but now think that most of the cheap simple CA brackets are definitely for 3" tubes, not 2.5. I'm looking at Artec but hate that they have the cam bolt slots. I was thinking of just adding some weld washers to them.....
Unread 11-28-2013, 11:30 AM   #3400
AngryTJ
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm
For anyone who's replaced their lower control arm brackets on their D30 what ones did you use??? I thought I had it figured out but now think that most of the cheap simple CA brackets are definitely for 3" tubes, not 2.5. I'm looking at Artec but hate that they have the cam bolt slots. I was thinking of just adding some weld washers to them.....
Get the artec brackets with built in skid not the cam bolts one. That's what I used for the rear and awaiting install on the front.
image-1055980306.jpg

Tarantula_TJ Build

2015 Colorado Trip
Unread 11-28-2013, 11:39 AM   #3401
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryTJ View Post
Get the artec brackets with built in skid not the cam bolts one. That's what I used for the rear and awaiting install on the front.
Hmmm, ok my only gripe is that they would need to be welded on angled down because they need to go right below the spring perch. If you look at any that are specifically designed for the D30 you'll notice they are designed to be welded on offset towards the bottom of the axle tube. Did you account for this?

It's also not listed what diameter tube they are cut out for.... I bet you it's 3". I guess I could make that work.
Unread 11-28-2013, 11:46 AM   #3402
AngryTJ
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm
Hmmm, ok my only gripe is that they would need to be welded on angled down because they need to go right below the spring perch. If you look at any that are specifically designed for the D30 you'll notice they are designed to be welded on offset towards the bottom of the axle tube. Did you account for this?
For the rear my link brackets are completely parallel to the ground. The front I haven't done yet but I get what your saying, I'll just cut the bracket to be more at an angle if it turns out to be an issue. I really like the brackets though.

Tarantula_TJ Build

2015 Colorado Trip
Unread 11-28-2013, 11:54 AM   #3403
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

God forbid, but a few years ago I used Ballistic brackets. They fit nice and allowed me to raise the arms closer to the center line of the axle.
Unread 11-28-2013, 12:21 PM   #3404
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
God forbid, but a few years ago I used Ballistic brackets. They fit nice and allowed me to raise the arms closer to the center line of the axle.
Haha, those DO look like the ones I need, but it's hard to order anything from them.
Unread 11-28-2013, 12:24 PM   #3405
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

They are the last place I would order anything from. Sad really, their products are better than average, their customer service way worse than abysmal.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.