Nate's 2002 TJ, simple but effective.... - Page 21 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Nate's 2002 TJ, simple but effective....

Currie RockJock Products!!This is a shout out to all INTERNATIONAL Customers! Yes weEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 12-14-2012, 09:16 AM   #301
JEEP4x20
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Just read through your build, your doing a really good job.
How has the 35 done for you? Any regrets building it up instead of swapping in something else?

Unread 12-14-2012, 10:49 AM   #302
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEP4x20 View Post
Just read through your build, your doing a really good job.
How has the 35 done for you? Any regrets building it up instead of swapping in something else?
No regrets so far, it's never let me down. If it breaks it breaks, but I think the S35 is a good set up for most. And thanks for checking out my build!
gst95dsm is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2012, 11:02 AM   #303
JEEP4x20
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Im really unsure on what I want to do at this point. Its a dd so it cant get to aggressive yet. Everyone pushes 8.8 and d44, its nice to see the few that stick with the 35 and still run it hard.
Unread 12-14-2012, 05:29 PM   #304
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEP4x20 View Post
Im really unsure on what I want to do at this point. Its a dd so it cant get to aggressive yet. Everyone pushes 8.8 and d44, its nice to see the few that stick with the 35 and still run it hard.
It's been good to me, if your type of wheeling involves a lot of wheel spin and subsequent hopping I don't think it would hold up as well. Out here we have a lot of traction and were able to crawl most things, prolonging the life of the D35 IMO. Do I still WANT a bigger axle... yes 2 rock jocks please! Have I ever NEEDED a bigger axle.... not yet.
Unread 12-14-2012, 05:33 PM   #305
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Back in action!!! Ok this little thing is a tank compared to the 140, it's got to be at least 30lbs. heavier. I just did some practicing with it.... and YEAH! it's got a TON more power.... Holy crap. I had to keep that gun moving!

Unread 12-14-2012, 05:57 PM   #306
JEEP4x20
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Ive never been a fan of mud but living in maine i see it often. Its been good to me. Think ill hold out until 37's+
And congratulations on the new welder.
Unread 12-14-2012, 06:05 PM   #307
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
Back in action!!! Ok this little thing is a tank compared to the 140, it's got to be at least 30lbs. heavier. I just did some practicing with it.... and YEAH! it's got a TON more power.... Holy crap. I had to keep that gun moving!

Very nice

Wheres the weld pics ?
Unread 12-14-2012, 07:56 PM   #308
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Very nice

Wheres the weld pics ?
No weld pics yet, I'm to busy making a mess of things. Need some advise Beasley.... the settings suggested on the panel seem a little aggressive, Have you found that to be the case? Also when welding WAY out of position, what kind of motion do you prefer with the gun?
Unread 12-14-2012, 08:06 PM   #309
gspup
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm

No weld pics yet, I'm to busy making a mess of things. Need some advise Beasley.... the settings suggested on the panel seem a little aggressive, Have you found that to be the case? Also when welding WAY out of position, what kind of motion do you prefer with the gun?
I always run my heat and wire speed higher than recommended. For the welding advice, a back and forth motion works well for welding in awkward positions.
Unread 12-14-2012, 08:11 PM   #310
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

On my Miller 210 I run the following as a generic starting point depending on thickness 2/25 ,3/35,4/45 and then I adjust as needed . I have found that the 3/35 works great for 3/16" to 1/4" material . For overhead I add little more voltage than I would normally use and a little more wire then move a little quicker than I would normally run a pattern . One thing I do a lot when I weld is reposition my project as I move to avoid welding overhead if possible . I can do it , but I dont like it . The pattern that works best for me on hard to reach areas is the push j . Most of my welds are lowercase e's if I can get braced up and have room to move .
When I get a new welder I weld on some scrap to feel it out and learn its settings . Hopefully my generic #s will get you started up and close to dialing in .
Unread 12-14-2012, 08:24 PM   #311
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspup View Post
I always run my heat and wire speed higher than recommended. For the welding advice, a back and forth motion works well for welding in awkward positions.
Thanks, it just seemed like I would have to move so fast at the recommended setting or make holes! If I turn up the wire speed I can get some nice smooth sizzle, but good lord it's HOT, and I'm moving FAST. I guess that's ok though.... I just find it hard to go fast, and use a steady motion with my head crammed up under the jeep and both arms reaching up or to the side, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
On my Miller 210 I run the following as a generic starting point depending on thickness 2/25 ,3/35,4/45 and then I adjust as needed . I have found that the 3/35 works great for 3/16" to 1/4" material . For overhead I add little more voltage than I would normally use and a little more wire then move a little quicker than I would normally run a pattern . One thing I do a lot when I weld is reposition my project as I move to avoid welding overhead if possible . I can do it , but I dont like it . The pattern that works best for me on hard to reach areas is the push j . Most of my welds are lowercase e's if I can get braced up and have room to move .
When I get a new welder I weld on some scrap to feel it out and learn its settings . Hopefully my generic #s will get you started up and close to dialing in .
Well this little guy goes 1-7 Beasley on the power..... it's saying 6 for 1/4". 5/60 seemed to work good, and 6/70 seemed to work good at a very crazy pace. (from what I'm used to). Haha...... can't handle the powa! Now don't get me wrong, I can post up some pretty perfect looking beads on some scrap sitting in front of me, but the couple spots I tried on the shock tower were pretty out of control in comparison.... maybe my entire issue is that I need to spend more time getting into a position that I can actually get a steady motion...... perhaps a little impatience is a problem.
Unread 12-14-2012, 08:41 PM   #312
JEEP4x20
2004 TJ Wrangler 

When i started welding i always went to fast, so id always turn the wfs or amps up. It always turned out allot beeter when i could go faster and keep moving. Also anything over head your going to need more amps/ faster wfs. Welding pipe i always tack in four spots and weld one bead from tack to tack and stop then weld to the next, much easier then trying to get all the way or have way around
Unread 12-14-2012, 08:46 PM   #313
gspup
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm

Thanks, it just seemed like I would have to move so fast at the recommended setting or make holes! If I turn up the wire speed I can get some nice smooth sizzle, but good lord it's HOT, and I'm moving FAST. I guess that's ok though.... I just find it hard to go fast, and use a steady motion with my head crammed up under the jeep and both arms reaching up or to the side, haha
Haha fast and hot is good. With that upgraded welder you will quickly learn to move your hand faster and your welds will continue to look better. It will become second nature. Happy burning !
Unread 12-15-2012, 08:45 AM   #314
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the tips fellas.... I'm determined to get the towers burned in today after some more practice. Will post up later with results.
Unread 12-15-2012, 01:00 PM   #315
yellow_snocone
Web Wheeler
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Some great welding tips. I'm learning a bit from it as well .

Chester TJ build

2014 JF RUBICON TRIP
yellow_snocone is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.