Nate's 2002 TJ, simple but effective.... - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Nate's 2002 TJ, simple but effective....

Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearXHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140

Unread 04-13-2012, 10:54 PM   #16
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks! Yeah I get a little OCD with the black satin paint. Coming from Michigan and now living in CA, the easy to clean underside of my jeep is really appreciated. But it has seen mud a few times, but never without regret!

gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2012, 01:32 AM   #17
thirdeye
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Haha yes. Did you use that xrc8? I have one too, used it a million times successfully
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thirdeyes-second-tj-1816002/
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2012, 08:07 AM   #18
Sgt.Fuzz
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
Did you use that xrc8? I have one too, used it a million times successfully
Impossible! Those things spontaneously combust after the first use!!
Unread 04-14-2012, 08:38 AM   #19
RIDER6
2008 WK 

Hey fuzz, I was just looking around for ****z and giggles and noticed you PHU emblem! I am also part of my local 300! Happy wheeling bro.
Unread 04-14-2012, 08:56 AM   #20
Sgt.Fuzz
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIDER6 View Post
Hey fuzz, I was just looking around for ****z and giggles and noticed you PHU emblem! I am also part of my local 300! Happy wheeling bro.
Unread 04-14-2012, 09:25 AM   #21
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Haha yes. Did you use that xrc8? I have one too, used it a million times successfully
Yes mine get's used regularly as well for the last 3 years. Still holding up just fine. I rebuilt my controller once due to bad connection / corrosion on the switch contacts but that it. I love that little winch.
Unread 04-17-2012, 10:13 PM   #22
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

I've been trying to think of a good way to really flex out my Jeep in a controlled clean environment to check clearances, and see how much droop, uptravel, and if my bumpstops were really at good levels. My buddy has a forklift but his shop was closed so I had to improvise.

I'm not recommended anyone actually repeat this but it worked!

I've got a motorcycle lift I use ALL the time for my bikes, and it just so happens it can be used as a platform to lift a tire on my jeep. Well it couldn't lift it on it's own, but a little help from the floor jack and it had no problem. Then I just locked in the safety bar and did some inspecting. The whole time thinking I'm gonna flop my damn jeep IN my garage. haha.

Found out nothing is hitting, front droop is limited pretty bad by my 22.5 inch shocks (longer Bilstein 5100's on order). Brake lines are good, bumpstops are working and at proper levels. Good info. Here's a few pics of the sketchiness....

Unread 04-17-2012, 11:07 PM   #23
thirdeye
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yes! looks sweet with the shocks disco-ed..

I know I'm getting about 3ft (36") of flex on my short arms. What (extended) length shocks are you getting?

Also, looks like you could do some cutting under the front and rear fenders to gain some extra uptravel
Unread 04-18-2012, 08:35 AM   #24
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yes! looks sweet with the shocks disco-ed..

I know I'm getting about 3ft (36") of flex on my short arms. What (extended) length shocks are you getting?

Also, looks like you could do some cutting under the front and rear fenders to gain some extra uptravel
Wow, 36" is a lot!

I'm getting Bilstein 5100's, with an extended length of 25". I'm a bit limited by how low I am but I just don't want to lift it any more. Right now I feel like my set up is kind of all over the place, not making sense! It really performed well IMO last time out so I'm happy, I just need to formulate a real game plan though and stick with it.

Two Metalcloak 6 pack shocks in the front would really do what I had envisioned. 4" up travel 10" down. With the Bilsteins I'll have 4 / 6. Gonna have to work for now.
Unread 04-18-2012, 01:29 PM   #25
thirdeye
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Dude I was looking through that magazine Off Road Adventures and i saw your jeep in it!
Unread 04-18-2012, 02:27 PM   #26
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Haha! Yeah I submitted that photo last year after the metal cloak stuff went on. I was surprised to see it in there though.
Unread 04-24-2012, 08:54 PM   #27
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

I had a pretty full day of Jeep wrenching fun today. First I was having this bright idea about running spare less for a while. Well I wanted the tailgate to look "cleaner" (still have rubber bumpers on it and bolts). So I took all that crap off and cleaned it up best I could. Then I went to my local Ace and bought some stainless button heads to screw into the holes, they match the bolts used for the metalcloak armor so it looks tidy.

I've never needed my spare in the last 5 years, so now of coarse now that I'm lugging it around I'll need it sometime soon! haha. I'm digging the look though and all that weight hanging off the back can't help rock crawling. We'll see though. It's just a quick 5 min. deal to put it back up there.

Next was something I've been meaning to do for a while now. Ever since I got the Metalcloak fenders, my Smittybilt "classic" bumper has just looked Loooong to me. And now with all the current stubby style simple bumpers out that I really like, I decided to "bob" my bumper.... I cut out 4 1/2 inches on each side and welded the caps back on. Came out pretty good I think, and now maybe I get my tire started up something before my bumper hits it. And it saved me from buying a new one, although these aluminum ones keep calling to me....

I also got my new shocks in today. Been looking forward to this for a little while now. Originally I ordered Bilstein 5100's but apparently they are on back order for ever. So I had my order switched to the TeraFlex 5550's. Saved a bit of money over the Bilsteins, and took a little chance on them, they measured out exactly what I needed.

Seems like a lot of JK guys use them, not many TJ guys. I got them put on and think I'm going to like them. They are A LOT softer than I thought they'd be. That a good thing to me, I don't like really stiff shocks and just thought it was a given with a Nitro shock in this price range. The seem softer than my Skyjacker Hydros I took out.

As far as the lengths go, couldn't have been better! Shock fully compressed when hard on the bumps, and shock fully extended is juuuuust barely to the point where my spring has very little / no tension on it. I did finally have to adjust my brake lines though. They had some tension on them. I just simply tweaked them out a bit and redrilled the holes a little over an inch lower and there was plenty of slack. Should be problem solved.

On my test drive I forgot to connect the sway bar so my initial impressions before realizing that were kind of WTF!.... haha. After that though the ride felt good, no crazy improvement or magic carpet ride but it felt tight and smooth, but willing to move when it needed to. Overall I'm a little disappointed I didn't get to try out the highly revered 5100's, but still feel I made a good choice over the "standard" white body shocks out there...

Overall pretty good day Jeep wrenching.......
Unread 04-24-2012, 08:55 PM   #28
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Oops... forgot one thing! Took the top off! yes!

Unread 04-27-2012, 10:04 AM   #29
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Knocked out a little project I've been wanting to do for a while now. Put together an in-cab winch switch. Always meant to buy one from 12v guy but never got around to it. Anyways I was bored yesterday so I decided to hit radio shack to see what I could come up with.

Came out looking pretty much like the one's you can buy pre-made. Works good, was a fun little project.

I got everything at Radio shack, spent about $30 including the wire, fuse holder, loom. The wire was over half that, so if you have wire already laying around this is a very cheap little project. I anyone wants to know what items were used specifically let me know.

It was always annoying having to get my controller out any time I needed the winch. This will be handy!

I bought an LED also not realizing the tip of the safety switch had one build in, I thought that was pretty slick!

Unread 05-03-2012, 08:36 AM   #30
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Installed the Swag Offroad Drop Down Tailgate kit last night. Maybe I was just tired but I found it to be a finicky install.. Getting those backing plates into place behind the tub for the lower hinge bolts was about the most frustrating thing I've done in recent memory! Also somehow even though I drilled the hinges with the tailgate locked solid my striker attached to the tub does not have enough adjustment to be completely smooth when opening.... bleh!

I'm also leery of how the cables attach to the tub, Self tapping bolts? I would much rather use a bolt / nyloc combo. It seems like A LOT of force being put through there. Also self tappers and a small bracket on the passenger side cable mount on the gate itself. I really hope these hold up to years of use. I just can't see it happening though. 400lbs???

The newest design has a plate that runs the length of the gate with the Swag logo in it. I'm just not understanding why we wouldn't want that solid plate running the length of the TUB where the hinges mount?? Seems like MUCH more pressure is on the tub with weight on the gate. A plate running the length of both is probably ideal Bleh.....

Honestly feeling a bit of buyer remorse with this one. I hope it changes once I actually get to use it and it comes in handy. I was already thinking $200 was a lot for what your getting but figured the kit was designed incredibly stout based on what I've read. Maybe I was just expecting to much. Somewhat disappointing.......

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.