Nate's 2002 TJ, simple but effective.... - Page 191 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Nate's 2002 TJ, simple but effective....

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Currie RockJock Products!!

Unread 10-24-2013, 07:30 PM   #2851
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
Looks like some sort of doubler is the ticket
I'd like a 231 to 231 doubler but it seems like no one makes one on a consistent basis. I spent some time researching it and info. was spotty at best. Lots of people left hanging.... I'm good with my gearing, I compensate by smoking the **** outta my clutch. Haha.

gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 07:33 PM   #2852
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEcrawlerTJ01 View Post
^^^
Thank you!

Politics are dumb and they ruin everything. Including threads!

My suggestion after running the hammers a few weekends ago would be get that 8.8 under there sooner than later. Running 35's in jv you end up putting your tires in lots of crackes and undercuts. Which binds things up pretty good

Pic from the plaque on sledge

The line is up and over the rock my front left tire is on. But my jeep just did not have the traction or wheelbase for that line
I was just able to see those photos on an actual computer screen. Those are some cool shots and that ledge looks like they type of thing in a stock wheelbase TJ that would be pretty uncomfortable. I can't wait to try it.
Unread 10-24-2013, 07:45 PM   #2853
yellow_snocone
Web Wheeler
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Nate I've been some research with the doubler idea as well and I found this website that may help.

https://froehlichsuspension.3dcartst...pter_p_14.html

I think Duffy with D&D machine is still making the kit just a hard man to get ahold of.

Chester TJ build

2014 JF RUBICON TRIP
yellow_snocone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 08:03 PM   #2854
aw12345
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow_snocone View Post
Nate I've been some research with the doubler idea as well and I found this website that may help.

https://froehlichsuspension.3dcartst...pter_p_14.html

I think Duffy with D&D machine is still making the kit just a hard man to get ahold of.
Provided you find the parts at the least you need a super short SYE.
In Nates case putting the Terra lo behind the crawl box is a terrible idea.
Damned things don't last with some abusive crawling without adding more torque to it. Cutting the case of the Terralo will void the much needed warranty. Other option is a D300 and flip it, so it will bleed oil like a stuck hog, friend of mine did that ended up having to buy a Stack case for it to stop that. To get any real use out of that setup, you would want 4:1 gears at the cost of close to 800 bucks, Atlas in your flavor sound good yet? Other option is a Klune with an old Bronco transfercase, problem with the Bronco case is poor tooth contact in lo range get throttle happy in lo lo range and it will break the teeth off atleast one of the low range gears friend of mine has been there done that.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/february-tj-month-contest-submit-now-2061065/
aw12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 08:39 PM   #2855
yellow_snocone
Web Wheeler
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I remember a product coming up in the forums about sealing the D300 better preventing the leak. I cant remember where I read it or what the sealant was but I remember it being a great product to fix that issue. Atlas is great but the price tag is not especially if a doubler is done right you can lo-lo a deep ratio for half the price. With the issue of breaking parts I know going lo-lo with any doubler setup its best to not throttle out, you'd want a hand throttle to avoid to high of a rpm when crawling.

What about a built up 205, I hear lomax has a 3:1 kit that is fantastic.

Chester TJ build

2014 JF RUBICON TRIP
Unread 10-24-2013, 08:56 PM   #2856
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Novak cable shifter installed. Nice little device! Nice and crisp shifting now, and now I have a very happy flat skid set up.... Pretty happy about that for how little it cost me.

image-3120391012.jpg

Also on the t case issue.... I went round and round in my head trying to justify the hassle of it all, and decided I'm happy with my teralow until the right upgrade is available or makes sense. The "black box". Looked to be the nicest option though. I crawl around pretty good as it is so I'm not that motivated to change any of it.
Unread 10-24-2013, 09:00 PM   #2857
yellow_snocone
Web Wheeler
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I think if you go up in tire size it will come back up

Chester TJ build

2014 JF RUBICON TRIP
Unread 10-24-2013, 09:02 PM   #2858
aw12345
2004 TJ Wrangler 

My buddy, tried everything to seal it, the shafts would leak and some other places. Till he got the Stack housing for it, he could not get it to stop leaking.

Unread 10-24-2013, 09:29 PM   #2859
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow_snocone View Post
I think if you go up in tire size it will come back up
For SURE. But going up to 37's is just an all around dumb idea unless I feel like spending about 5k to make it right. Tires, rims, gears, 8.8 done, new front axle unless I want to stick with 4.88, T case.... just a slew of problems for ONE more inch under the diff. I just can't see it happening until I'm just plain bored and ready to spend.

Quote:
My buddy, tried everything to seal it, the shafts would leak and some other places. Till he got the Stack housing for it, he could not get it to stop leaking.
This is what I hear also..... time and time again. I'm not interested in that T case at all.
Unread 10-24-2013, 09:32 PM   #2860
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Ok here's a real tech question..... I just discovered my rear yoke nut backed off. I torqued it to 150ft lbs. during SYE installation. What gives? I noticed because the yoke had a little play in it, I also used the funky plastic washer, but didn't recall any mention of using loctite? Upon a brief search of the issue it appears that maybe some RED loctite is in order? Art????
Unread 10-24-2013, 10:14 PM   #2861
aw12345
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The rubber/ plastic washer is to keep oil from seeping past the splines inside the yoke. A bead of RTV works good for that.
Red loctite will keep the nut in place. If the splines in the yoke are beat out it's gonna a battle to keep it all tight. Even if the nut is tight the the Yoke will working on the shaft, depending on that you can twist it on the shaft a lil.

Unread 10-24-2013, 10:20 PM   #2862
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The rubber/ plastic washer is to keep oil from seeping past the splines inside the yoke. A bead of RTV works good for that.
Red loctite will keep the nut in place. If the splines in the yoke are beat out it's gonna a battle to keep it all tight. Even if the nut is tight the the Yoke will working on the shaft, depending on that you can twist it on the shaft a lil.
Ok cool, the entire deal has under 100 miles on it and most of that was wheeling so I'm pretty sure everything is in good shape, I must have just botched the initial install. I'll button that back up tomorrow with some loctite and take it from there. Thanks!
Unread 10-24-2013, 10:30 PM   #2863
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm
Novak cable shifter installed. Nice little device! Nice and crisp shifting now, and now I have a very happy flat skid set up....
Sweet! Glad I could pass it along!

Did it fight you much? I forgot what a pain it is to get to some of those bolts when your t-case is pushed up to the floor like mine, must have taken me 2 hrs to get it off haha
What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 10:37 PM   #2864
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO2500 View Post
Sweet! Glad I could pass it along!

Did it fight you much? I forgot what a pain it is to get to some of those bolts when your t-case is pushed up to the floor like mine, must have taken me 2 hrs to get it off haha
I think i've been messing around in that area so much lately that it went on without a fight for me. That top T case bolt doesn't leave much room to swing a wrench but I got a couple clicks per swing out of my ratcheting wrench.... just took some patience. It was easier to install and adjust than I thought it would be, that's for sure.
Unread 10-24-2013, 10:40 PM   #2865
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm
I think i've been messing around in that area so much lately that it went on without a fight for me. That top T case bolt doesn't leave much room to swing a wrench but I got a couple clicks per swing out of my ratcheting wrench.... just took some patience. It was easier to install and adjust than I thought it would be, that's for sure.
I need a set of ratcheting wrenches....

That top t-case bolt tied me up for a half hour lol
What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.