Nate's 2002 TJ, simple but effective.... - Page 19 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Nate's 2002 TJ, simple but effective....

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 12-05-2012, 07:58 AM   #271
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
The track bar bracket never even entered my mind until today, I had read you need to "notch" the tower... but it's very hard to measure the tower to mark the notch.... that doesn't fit where you need to measure it from.... so again.... cut small... and bring it out to the final dimension. Time consuming and dirty, I'm still not really done with this step, I'm damn close though. We should BOTH be doing this at the same time by the way!
The notch looks perfect , should make for some interesting angles to get to when you are welding it up ! And I wish I was working on this same project , but on a whole I try to finish one project before I start another and my trailer is eating up all my time .

Unread 12-05-2012, 08:10 AM   #272
AngryTJ
Dreamin of Moab

2005 TJ Wrangler 

is your axle set at ride height? The mistake I made was having my axle sit lower when placing my towers thinking I would have 6" of uptravel but once the tires went on and the weight of the vehicle I was really looking at about 4.5-5" of uptravel.

Overall your looking good my only concern is the shock body contacting that trac bar bracket. Do you have enough clearance?
AngryTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2012, 08:53 AM   #273
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryTJ View Post
is your axle set at ride height? The mistake I made was having my axle sit lower when placing my towers thinking I would have 6" of uptravel but once the tires went on and the weight of the vehicle I was really looking at about 4.5-5" of uptravel.

Overall your looking good my only concern is the shock body contacting that trac bar bracket. Do you have enough clearance?
I've left the springs in and leveled the axle the absolute best I could at as close to it's actual height with the wheels on as I could. The Jeep is sitting almost just as it does with all 4 wheels on so I figure not much should change when I actually do put the rear wheels on. Let's hope!

As far as the track bar bracket is concerned, I'm planning to trim quite a bit more off what you see in the photo. Worst case scenario I'll actually trim part of the track bar bracket itself but I'm not anticipating having to do that. My rear links are pretty flat so I think my towers have ended up a little more vertical than most, causing me to be a little closer to the track bar than I've seen on other outboard jobs.

Thanks for looking though, I need the advise!
gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2012, 10:22 AM   #274
yellow_snocone
2003 TJ Wrangler 

That outboard is coming along nicely. Makes me want to do mine now but I still have other things on the list to do before that.

Chester TJ build

2014 JF RUBICON TRIP
yellow_snocone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2012, 10:06 PM   #275
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Had just a little time tonight to work. I did some more fitting on the passenger side and have it about as good as it's going to get. Fit up is pretty tight, not nearly as clean as the driver side but still not bad. I will have some "filling" to do with my welds by the track bar mount and unfortunately in my center notch but not much at all considering. I plan to drop the tank to weld the backside lower portion. I just think it will make it a lot easier and dropping the tank is easy enough. Overall I'm feeling pretty good about it. My next chore is to thoroughly clean up the frame around all my weld joints. I could tell just by some little tacking I did that if I don't spend some time cleaning it up better my welding is going to suck.

Unread 12-06-2012, 07:44 PM   #276
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Well this whole deal is on hold until I either buy or borrow a 220 welder. I know my 110 is at it's very limit at 1/4, IMO... it's not even close. No way I can trust it,
Unread 12-06-2012, 07:47 PM   #277
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Are you having a Miller or Lincoln Christmas ?
Unread 12-06-2012, 08:21 PM   #278
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Are you having a Miller or Lincoln Christmas ?
Miller 211??? What would you recommend?
Unread 12-06-2012, 08:28 PM   #279
gspup
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm

Miller 211??? What would you recommend?
I've have a miller 175 and 275 mig and both are great. A 211 would be powerful enough for pretty much anything on a heep though. My tig welder is a Lincoln and its top quality too.
Unread 12-06-2012, 08:32 PM   #280
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

211 is appealing because I can use 110v. when it's more convenient and appropriate for the job. Using the dryer's 220 outlet is going to be my only 220 source when we move in March. (Renting) for a while.
Unread 12-06-2012, 09:13 PM   #281
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I have a Miller 210 and it has been a great machine . Your going to love the duty cycle of a bigger machine . Either a Miller or Lincoln will treat you well , check out your local weld shop as both Lincoln and Miller both have some good deals with extra freebies going on right now .
Unread 12-06-2012, 09:24 PM   #282
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I have a Miller 210 and it has been a great machine . Your going to love the duty cycle of a bigger machine . Either a Miller or Lincoln will treat you well , check out your local weld shop as both Lincoln and Miller both have some good deals with extra freebies going on right now .
My local weld shop are crooks... unfortunately. How about this one??? I really like my Hobart, and am not opposed to staying with the brand.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...9230_200479230

Seems like a helluva deal to me?

ORDERED IT! haha.... go discover card go. Not bad though, I'll get $400 for my HH140 pretty easy I think. And this one was $849 free shipping, no tax and a free Hobart welding cart.
Unread 12-07-2012, 05:47 AM   #283
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
My local weld shop are crooks... unfortunately. How about this one??? I really like my Hobart, and am not opposed to staying with the brand.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...9230_200479230

Seems like a helluva deal to me?

ORDERED IT! haha.... go discover card go. Not bad though, I'll get $400 for my HH140 pretty easy I think. And this one was $849 free shipping, no tax and a free Hobart welding cart.
That is a nice welder and Hobart is owned by Miller . Your going to love having a bigger welder . Its a shame your local shop is crooked ,mine is great to deal with and they give me the same pricing as a big account .
Unread 12-07-2012, 07:58 AM   #284
yellow_snocone
2003 TJ Wrangler 

If your selling your 140 I know a certain jeep owner who could really find some use for it. Me

Chester TJ build

2014 JF RUBICON TRIP
yellow_snocone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2012, 08:59 AM   #285
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
That is a nice welder and Hobart is owned by Miller . Your going to love having a bigger welder . Its a shame your local shop is crooked ,mine is great to deal with and they give me the same pricing as a big account .
Yeah it looks like it should be pretty similar to a MIller 211. Just no autoset which I hear is pretty worthless anyways and I guess the drive assembly is composite instead of metal, I don't think that will effect me at all with my light use. I'm excited! I just knew my 140 wasn't getting any penetration with the solid wire because I had to turn the wire speed WAY up to get a puddle going..... and my puddle consisted mainly of filler rod! If that makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow_snocone View Post
If your selling your 140 I know a certain jeep owner who could really find some use for it. Me
Gonna sell it local buddy, It would probably me $80 just to ship to you and I need to get all I can out of it to help pay for the new one.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.