Nate's 2002 TJ, simple but effective.... - Page 182 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Nate's 2002 TJ, simple but effective....

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 10-15-2013, 07:58 PM   #2716
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankoid View Post
Yeah it did. I'm not bothered by it, I have prefer to use my tow hooks anyway.
Ok, just checking. I'm going to send them a message about it, because it's mildly annoying and pretty unnecessary.

Unread 10-16-2013, 07:20 AM   #2717
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

The skid I'm working on has 90 bends on the front & back & is 1/4" thick. I also have an 1/8" bent tranny mount that runs the full width of the skid to add another stiffening member down the middle. I'll be working on it Saturday finally! Will post some pics on Monday in my build if you're interested.

Are you running stock exhaust? Any chance of getting a couple better pics of the cat & the exhaust? These are the areas I need to do a little more research on to make them installation friendly.

"Evolution through carnage, the Jeep will keep what it needs."
Danno6102 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2013, 07:53 AM   #2718
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno6102 View Post
The skid I'm working on has 90 bends on the front & back & is 1/4" thick. I also have an 1/8" bent tranny mount that runs the full width of the skid to add another stiffening member down the middle. I'll be working on it Saturday finally! Will post some pics on Monday in my build if you're interested.

Are you running stock exhaust? Any chance of getting a couple better pics of the cat & the exhaust? These are the areas I need to do a little more research on to make them installation friendly.
I took another look last night and it looks like I could run a piece of angle all the way across towards the back of the skid that I might end up doing. The way you have yours set up sounds like a good idea also, But It might give you an issue hitting the cat if you have it in the factory spot still.

I'm running the stock exhaust but I've moved the muffler towards the center of the jeep several inches by cutting it off, flipping it and rewelding the flange on. The cat however and hanger have not been touched but the hanger is quite tweaked in it's mount as naturally it does not want to be that horizontal. I was looking at it last night and I think adding the angle iron, cutting the cat hanger and repositioning it and making some plates out of 1/4" to raise the motor a bit more. I noticed the fan is VERY close to hitting the bottom of the shroud now. Also planning the cable shifter because although during my testing it appeared to be shifting just fine, during another drive test last night it fought me a bit and I can only imagine how annoyed I'll be on the trail it if won't shift properly. After these tweaks this flat skid should be happy to be there, strong and trouble free.
Unread 10-16-2013, 09:30 AM   #2719
gspup
2002 TJ Wrangler 

^ ah the joys of tummy tucks.
Unread 10-16-2013, 09:57 AM   #2720
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I had to cut my cat hanger and shorten it when I installed my low pro mount. Maybe you could do something to that effect, or get a low pro mount to help drop the drivetrain down a little?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003

www.norcal-jeeps.com
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2013, 10:35 AM   #2721
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthetj03
I had to cut my cat hanger and shorten it when I installed my low pro mount. Maybe you could do something to that effect, or get a low pro mount to help drop the drivetrain down a little?
The drivetrain is pretty happy with the stock transmission mount surprisingly, the cat hanger would be happier welded on at a slightly different angle although it's height is perfect right now. Drove it to work and am surprised how good it feels, making the aforementioned tweaks will alleviate some stress on the mounts and hopefully restore NVH to near factory levels.
Unread 10-16-2013, 11:30 AM   #2722
yellow_snocone
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Those goodies sure look nice Nate .

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/chesters-tj-build-1420405/"][COLOR="Green"]Chester TJ build[/COLOR][/URL]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f330/rubicon-trail-august-9th-11th-2014-a-1550022/"][COLOR="Blue"]2014 JF RUBICON TRIP[/COLOR][/URL]
yellow_snocone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2013, 11:56 AM   #2723
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Must be nice having that smaller tcase and stretch. My DS is pretty steep as is and much more of a tuck would require a hammer

If I ever stretch mine I'll probably flat skid it too.
Moabrubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2013, 12:03 PM   #2724
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow_snocone
Those goodies sure look nice Nate .
Thanks Kyle, just adding to my money pit.
Unread 10-16-2013, 12:04 PM   #2725
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moabrubi
Must be nice having that smaller tcase and stretch. My DS is pretty steep as is and much more of a tuck would require a hammer If I ever stretch mine I'll probably flat skid it too.
Yeah I think having an ax5 is helping also, the extra driveline length works out well, I couldn't imagine how steep it would be otherwise.
Unread 10-16-2013, 01:39 PM   #2726
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Compact tranny/t- case and longer wheelbase = niiice

Flat belly looks good. Makes you wonder how anyone deals with the factory skid.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2013, 06:37 PM   #2727
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

So I went ahead and cut out some motor mount spacers on the plasma. Not sure if I need all 4 but just incase I made them. This should make the engine height perfect and give me the 1/4 inch more clearance I'd like to have between the front of the skid and the transmission.

image-1966882526.jpg
Unread 10-16-2013, 07:49 PM   #2728
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Compact tranny/t- case and longer wheelbase = niiice

Flat belly looks good. Makes you wonder how anyone deals with the factory skid.
Thanks man, it sure looks good aesthetically and actually just visually made the Jeep look much sleeker. Even my link brackets don't look so low to me anymore. It's nice to be above 18", that seems like kind of the magic number for a decent belly height on a TJ that's not real high, and on a small tire.
Unread 10-16-2013, 08:04 PM   #2729
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
It seems unlikely to bend with the bent lip on both sides, and tight quarters it resides in but I am concerned about that. Room for any bracing would be interesting, there's not really any to be had.
There always is, you just have to try harder. You can flat belly and Atlas and stuff crossmembers in there. So it can be done.
My yellow one has something similar to your flatbelly and with 1" retangular tube welded to it, it will bend when turtled on the belly, had to straighten it a time or two. Try it, if it bends you know what to do, as long as it doesn't pull the nutserts out of the frame you are ok
Unread 10-16-2013, 08:29 PM   #2730
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Well the motor mount lift spacers worked out well, 2 on each side for a total of 3/8ths lift and motor mounts are fairly neutral, and I've increased the space between the trans and skid to avoid any contact at the very front of the skid. I'll tackle the cat hanger next.

image-1068404349.jpg

image-1918906708.jpg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.