Nate's 2002 TJ, simple but effective.... - Page 181 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Nate's 2002 TJ, simple but effective....

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 10-14-2013, 09:34 AM   #2701
AngryTJ
Dreamin of Moab

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
I honestly wasn't expecting this much out of the stretch. I've read from multiple sources that a stretch of this nature was borderline even worth the hassle. I've got to say, and I wouldn't say this if I didn't feel like it was true, it's worth the time, effort and money. Some of it's benefits may be a bit psychological in that you're doing things you COULD do before, but that you just did not feel comfortable doing. Having said that I've already done 3 obstacles that I've had the opportunity to do many times before that my rig just simply could NOT do before without being reckless. So I say to all of ya'll that have a well supported rig on 35's.... do it!

Well said Nate, I also remember reading multiple places that a 5in stretch isnt worth the time and money but I would disagree.

Great work and nice video

AngryTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2013, 05:24 PM   #2702
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Drew up a fairlead mount for my new Barnes bumper and cut it out today. Should work out good. Just waiting on the UPS guy... dude is running late today.

gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2013, 09:53 PM   #2703
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

This new bumper is pretty sick IMO. A lot more detailed in it's design than I thought it was. My fairlead worked out perfect and looks pretty at home I think. I'm going to work late tonight and try to wake up to a nicely painted (dry) bumper to stick my winch on and call it done.

The interior of the bumper is a lot more elaborate that I thought... it's got a nice gusset in the center.

Overall pretty pleased, especially for the reasonable price.
Unread 10-14-2013, 11:27 PM   #2704
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Looks good!
What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 06:54 AM   #2705
elclipo
2000 TJ Wrangler 

That is a much nicer bumper than I thought it was, especially for the price. Looks like I just found my new bumper
elclipo is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 08:01 AM   #2706
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

That is a good looking bumper! No way I could do all that welding & grinding for that price.

"Evolution through carnage, the Jeep will keep what it needs."
Danno6102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 09:18 AM   #2707
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO2500 View Post
Looks good!
Thanks Mike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elclipo View Post
That is a much nicer bumper than I thought it was, especially for the price. Looks like I just found my new bumper
Cool man, I'll never understand why online retailers don't spend a little more time on photos and installed pics. I'd bet they would sell a ton of these if they provided more information and photos. Good luck with it if you get it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno6102 View Post
That is a good looking bumper! No way I could do all that welding & grinding for that price.
I was thinking the same thing. Not to mention shipping the bumper AND a 1/4" T-case skid across the country for $15. Crazy!

Well here is the sexiness.... I know it just looks like a black blob in the photos, but trust me it's a pretty sleek looking front end now. I've gained about 2" of approach angle and even more if you count not having my shackle mounts sticking way out that I would regularly hit on stuff. One negative I found is that the shackle mounts are for 3/4" pin, shackles, that seems odd to me.

Ah crap... you can't even see it. Later on I'll get it into the sunlight and take a better pic.

Unread 10-15-2013, 09:32 AM   #2708
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I know it just looks like a black blob in the photos, but trust me it's a pretty sleek looking front end now.
I thought the same exact thing, pictures do it no justice. Oh, and he is selling the **** out of these already, don't worry. They were backordered for weeks when I ordered mine.
Jankoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 06:01 PM   #2709
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Oh yeah, flat belly.... More details later.

image-3675474536.jpg

image-1517053912.jpg

image-3685743137.jpg

image-1422478534.jpg

A sunny photo of the bumper,

image-1956962894.jpg
Unread 10-15-2013, 06:55 PM   #2710
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

That belly....
kyle_craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 07:20 PM   #2711
aw12345
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Your belly plate needs bracing or it will bend nice clearance though and the bumper looks very nice on the front of your Jeep

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/february-tj-month-contest-submit-now-2061065/
aw12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 07:44 PM   #2712
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Well the install of the Barnes flat skid happened today. Overall it went really well, considering I was planning on having lots of issues.

Basically you need to either have a cable shifter, or figure out how to lower the factory linkage as you raise the T'case. This is actually pretty easily accomplished by cutting up and redrilling the factory bracket attached to the T'case. In this configuration it shifts as well as it ever has. I was surprised I was able to get it working so easily, I thought I would need to make my own brackets, or just dish out for the Novak. I may still go Novak just to simplify everything and get better shifting action.

The barnes skid come with no holes drilled for the T-case mount. I just used the mount from my RC skid, measured things up and welded it on. Then just take a few more measurements and drill some bolt access holes into the skid. Pretty simple, just measure accurately. Another way to handle this, that was my back up plan would be some basic C channel to create the recessed mount.

The next thing is to check clearance with the bent lip of the skid on both sides, I had to make some notches for the front driveshaft, the Trans itself, the Cat hanger and the Muffler. Cut with my grinder and faired smooth with the flap.

After one quick coat of paint.... Just showing the trans mount holes.

After several times bolting it up, checking things, and taking it back down it's pretty tiring by yourself! The skid is nice though, and the 2" I gained in belly clearance is obviously a huge deal.

Gotta love it...

A decently respectable number for a 35" rig that pretty low.

I will say the flat belly comes at cost in the NVH department. You are basically pushing everything up so high that you're taking all or most of the neutrality out of each rubber mount basically putting the entire powertrain into a bind. This will inherently cause more NVH and yes I feel it. It's basically a very high frequency vibe related to engine RPM. I could, and may still look at some ways to neutralize the mounts again but it's now in such an unnatural position it would be difficult. Raising the motor up another 1" inch would really help. Also cutting off and welding the cat mount hanger would help a lot. It's by no means even annoying to drive as is, I'm actually surprised I'm not hearing any rattles or clanking or feeling any heavy vibes. It's very drivable, but I know neutrality within the mounts would be a good thing to restore. One thing that kind of surprised me was how weird it felt having the shifter up higher.... It felt suuuuuper high! haha.
Unread 10-15-2013, 07:49 PM   #2713
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
Your belly plate needs bracing or it will bend nice clearance though and the bumper looks very nice on the front of your Jeep
It seems unlikely to bend with the bent lip on both sides, and tight quarters it resides in but I am concerned about that. Room for any bracing would be interesting, there's not really any to be had.
Unread 10-15-2013, 07:53 PM   #2714
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankoid View Post
I thought the same exact thing, pictures do it no justice. Oh, and he is selling the **** out of these already, don't worry. They were backordered for weeks when I ordered mine.
Hey did your's have 3/4 holes drilled in the shackle mounts? I'm a little, actually quite annoyed by that. Every 3/4 shackle I know of has a 7/8ths PIN. I checked the website and it's advertised as accepting a 7/8ths pin. I can only imagine a 7/8th's drill bit will be in the $30 range....
Unread 10-15-2013, 07:56 PM   #2715
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Hey did your's have 3/4 holes drilled in the shackle mounts? I'm a little, actually quite annoyed by that. Every 3/4 shackle I know of has a 7/8ths PIN. I checked the website and it's advertised as accepting a 7/8ths pin. I can only imagine a 7/8th's drill bit will be in the $30 range....
Yeah it did. I'm not bothered by it, I have prefer to use my tow hooks anyway.
Jankoid is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.