Nate's 2002 TJ, simple but effective.... - Page 18 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Nate's 2002 TJ, simple but effective....

The Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 12-01-2012, 09:36 PM   #256
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

We had a fun time wheeling today. I tried some new lines, had some success and some failure! The group consisted of 3 teejays, and one H1 HUMMER...... that broke. Looking forward to my tear down but was glad to get one more wheeling trip in before the really heavy snow.

The traditional air down and sway bar disconnect to start the day.

Today's terrain consisted of a lot of wet rock and a lot of snow up a little higher. Very fun conditions.

It's hard to tell, but this is a long steep loose rocky hill that we came down. The actual trail is on the right, but the snow pushed us to the left and everyone was way out of shape trying to control the slide and stay on trail.... this photo is funny, I had made it down already and was just laughing at the these yahoo's all kinds of sideways and out of shape.

Beadlocks collect a lot of snow...

Finally made it out.. after several hours helping the hummer. One of his front axles came undone from the center section, well it either sheared the bolts or they backed out.... and guess what??? The axle captures the brake rotor and the caliper is on the inside too.... all I could do to get him out was get the axle un wedged from the rotor, caliper and let it droop down on the a-arm and we took it slow in 2wd. It worked luckily, cause I wasn't wanting to take it apart..... not that I even knew how to! Long tow into town for him.... about 60 miles after we hit the main road. But I got him out!

Well it was a memorable day. Can't ask for more.

gst95dsm is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2012, 09:59 PM   #257
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Great pic , what trail is it ?
Unread 12-02-2012, 08:56 AM   #258
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

It was Bald Mountain. Really the only one that's open during winter around here that's high elevation. Always a good time. My Jeep always looks so dingy to me compared to the snow... haha.
Unread 12-02-2012, 09:00 AM   #259
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Trail turns into a stream in some areas in the winter. Pretty fun to cruise along it.

Unread 12-02-2012, 10:36 AM   #260
yellow_snocone
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Looks like a fun trail to ride.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/chesters-tj-build-1420405/"][COLOR="Green"]Chester TJ build[/COLOR][/URL]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f330/rubicon-trail-august-9th-11th-2014-a-1550022/"][COLOR="Blue"]2014 JF RUBICON TRIP[/COLOR][/URL]
yellow_snocone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2012, 12:35 PM   #261
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow_snocone View Post
Looks like a fun trail to ride.
X 2 , not much snow wheeling around here.
Unread 12-03-2012, 11:44 AM   #262
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Cleaned up and ready for surgery tomorrow. I'm going to tackle the shock outboarding, then the link mounts.... Wish me luck!

Unread 12-03-2012, 03:15 PM   #263
yellow_snocone
2003 TJ Wrangler 

The moment of truth. I cant wait to see how it all turns out.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/chesters-tj-build-1420405/"][COLOR="Green"]Chester TJ build[/COLOR][/URL]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f330/rubicon-trail-august-9th-11th-2014-a-1550022/"][COLOR="Blue"]2014 JF RUBICON TRIP[/COLOR][/URL]
yellow_snocone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2012, 06:52 PM   #264
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
the moment of truth. I cant wait to see how it all turns out.
Same here , once the trailer is done this is my next project .
Unread 12-03-2012, 07:07 PM   #265
Harvo
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Great pics. Looks like fun. If you don't mind, would you take a measurement from the outside corner of your tires on each side to give me an idea of what your outside to outside width is?

Thanks.
Unread 12-03-2012, 10:56 PM   #266
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The moment of truth. I cant wait to see how it all turns out.
well if I get real quiet over the next few days..... things have gone downhill!

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Same here , once the trailer is done this is my next project .
I'm sure I can show how not to do it Beasley!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvo View Post
Great pics. Looks like fun. If you don't mind, would you take a measurement from the outside corner of your tires on each side to give me an idea of what your outside to outside width is?

Thanks.
I walked into the garage right now to get that measurement for you.. then realized my Jeep is on Jack stands, haha. As soon as it's back together I will get it.

Well my shock relocation stuff came in as scheduled and is quite beautiful. Nicely tig welded. I also ordered some tube adapters from Poly at the same time..... and BOOO! They sent the wrong ones! One size too small, and yes I did order the right ones. Oh well I'm sure they'll make it right. So tomorrow is strictly focusing on the shock outboard.

Unread 12-04-2012, 04:01 PM   #267
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

It's going...... teaser.

Unread 12-04-2012, 09:12 PM   #268
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

I worked on the shock outboard pretty much all day today. Everything went fairly well. There was quite a bit more grinding and fitting than I envisioned for some reason. Part of the problem was me being timid and making my cuts less than what I knew they needed to be and grinding to the final dimension. Better safe than sorry.

Fit up on the lower shock mounts I thought was going to be as simple as sticking them in between the control arm mounts and tacking them up.... WRONG! Haha... this was really my only surprise today and ate up some time while I got my head together to figure out why they didn't fit up well. They are made "square" and well, the place they go (assuming stock control arm mount) is NOT square. The control arm brackets are at an angle in relation to the axle tube that needs to be matched by the bracket in order for it to be level horizontally and fit in between control arm bracket tightly. It probably would not even matter if it wasn't level, but it looked wrong and it didn't fit against the tube very well. So the grinder had to start making noise.

Oh here's a quick pic of why I really wanted to do this. And it's actually only 3 inches... this is where I discovered my axle wasn't level. Oh yeah.... it's NOT easy to get things level, using jack stands. Good lord.... I was driving myself nuts going from side to side taking measurements.

Now onto cutting the frame.... just measure, fit, measure, think, measure, think again, measure, then start cutting. No real advise here, sorry.... I found it awkward to figure out. I cut small and ground my way into fit up a little at a time until I got the desired amount of up travel. Be careful if you're using a grinder to cut, I had a drop today, and luckily did not hurt myself.

I have the drivers side completely fitted, I just need to clean it up a bit and it's ready for welding. The passenger side is much more difficult dealing with the track bar bracket. I'm about 80% fitted up on that one and it's going pretty well. I plan to get that squared away after work tomorrow.

So all in all I was productive today, a little slow and a little messy but I think it's going to work out.
Unread 12-04-2012, 09:24 PM   #269
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Trying to get everything square and level is almost impossible ! The towers look good , it takes a lot of nerve to start chopping up the frame .One thing I didnt realize is how tight the real estate is by the track bar bracket . Keep up the good work .
Unread 12-04-2012, 09:50 PM   #270
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Trying to get everything square and level is almost impossible ! The towers look good , it takes a lot of nerve to start chopping up the frame .One thing I didnt realize is how tight the real estate is by the track bar bracket . Keep up the good work .
The track bar bracket never even entered my mind until today, I had read you need to "notch" the tower... but it's very hard to measure the tower to mark the notch.... that doesn't fit where you need to measure it from.... so again.... cut small... and bring it out to the final dimension. Time consuming and dirty, I'm still not really done with this step, I'm damn close though. We should BOTH be doing this at the same time by the way!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.