Nate's 2002 TJ, simple but effective.... - Page 16 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Nate's 2002 TJ, simple but effective....

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 11-18-2012, 10:20 PM   #226
yellow_snocone
2003 TJ Wrangler 

$2000 for a custom suspension sounds pretty good

Chester TJ build

2014 JF RUBICON TRIP
yellow_snocone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2012, 10:18 PM   #227
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

I've been thinking about my upcoming 4 link project and things just started to not make sense! I was thinking about all these pre-made brackets and link length specifically. It then occurred to me that only at 1 length would the Joints be "neutral", using mounts with a predetermined degree of angle in relation to the distance between the center line of the axle and the width of the frame. That leave me VERY little control over things. When I read build threads it seems like the link length is basically a preference, not a length based on many calculations. With pre-made brackets I don't see how you can alter the length and have the joint be neutral in the mount.

Ok so anyways..... the "real" research has begun! I'm actually really enjoying it so far. I'm a math geek that never liked math unless it was something I was interested in. I found this: http://www.orcfab.com/tech/4link1.html And it's really helping me understand things. Here is my first drawing.

Each square is 3.75". I'm trying to be as accurate to scale as possible to get a better visual. Right now with the lower links at 8 degrees, they will be around 26.25" eye to eye using the factory lower axle mount. Vertical separation between upper and lower will be around 10.5" (a little much??) with a truss 7.5" above axle center line. Upper links around 70% the horizontal length of the lowers from the axle center line would be roughly 18.5" (horizontal length to axle center, not actual length). And if I keep 50% of the separation I would have 5.25" separation on the frame side mounts. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...... whewww. Not even gotten into frame width, axle center or degree of mounts. What I do know now though is..... I should stop thinking about this before my jeep is completely torn apart and on jack stands for a year!
gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2012, 10:25 PM   #228
yellow_snocone
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I read this thread and it helped me break away from looking at it from a measurement design.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f369/...metry-1423857/

Chester TJ build

2014 JF RUBICON TRIP
Unread 11-20-2012, 10:58 PM   #229
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow_snocone View Post
I read this thread and it helped me break away from looking at it from a measurement design.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f369/...metry-1423857/
Thanks! I've already come to the conclusion that you can plan this out all you want, but until you get under there and start really looking at the available space it's all just estimating. I just like to actually draw things out.... I feel that I remember things better that way. I respect everyone posting in that thread that has already been down this road and appreciate the information. Having said that.... I will still try and take the time, do it the "hard" way and try to understand exactly how each measurement relates to the next.
Unread 11-26-2012, 10:08 AM   #230
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Started ordering parts yet ?
Unread 11-26-2012, 11:23 AM   #231
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Started ordering parts yet ?
Well..... kind of. After digging in and really looking at what's what and also looking at my budget right now with Christmas I have decided to work with what I already have. I ordered these.

http://www.undercoverfab.com/long-ar...nlimited-.html

So my "new" plan is to rework what I already have. I'm playing around with shortening the links a few inches in the process. I think at my relatively low lift I can shorten them up and still maintain good angles. So I'll still have a rear track bar but at least I won't have 0 separation at the frame end on the rear and I'll be gaining some much needed clearance back. Seems like a good compromise. I actually really like my lower link design, they're bent for clearance and it's .250 DOM. So nothing wrong with that. I am having issues with the R/C 3/4" joints blowing out the retaining ring so I might go JJ's and be done with it. No issues with the 1 1/4 RC joints. I do think it's my fault though for over greasing them.

So anyways... I'm pretty much just going to make a mess of things. And still got the shock outboard to do also!
Unread 11-27-2012, 08:56 AM   #232
yellow_snocone
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
Thanks! I've already come to the conclusion that you can plan this out all you want, but until you get under there and start really looking at the available space it's all just estimating. I just like to actually draw things out.... I feel that I remember things better that way. I respect everyone posting in that thread that has already been down this road and appreciate the information. Having said that.... I will still try and take the time, do it the "hard" way and try to understand exactly how each measurement relates to the next.
The "hard" way is a great way to go. You'll come out with some much more subject knowledge then before. Honestly drawing it up isn't bad at all it helps make the idea more concrete so theres less guess work in the end. Also if you have some measurement numbers already it helps keep things square.

Chester TJ build

2014 JF RUBICON TRIP
Unread 11-27-2012, 09:14 AM   #233
chibucket
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Nice job. Wish i want lazy and kept mine that clean!
33" Wrangler MTR's Flat Fenders, K&N Intake, 4:56's, KC Daylighters
chibucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2012, 09:27 AM   #234
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The "hard" way is a great way to go. You'll come out with some much more subject knowledge then before. Honestly drawing it up isn't bad at all it helps make the idea more concrete so theres less guess work in the end. Also if you have some measurement numbers already it helps keep things square.
What you said earlier about not really looking at it from a measuring stand point really started to make perfect sense when I actually got under the jeep. Unless I'm planning on fabbing all my own mounts, build crossmembers, cut this, notch that...... it's just a series of limitations and compromises. Kind of frustrating to be honest. I think in the end, working with what I have, I'll end up with something better than I have now, and a deeper understanding of what's realistic working within the confines of a factory built vehicle, not to mention my skill level and budget!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chibucket View Post
Nice job. Wish i want lazy and kept mine that clean!
Thanks Buddy!
Unread 11-27-2012, 09:39 AM   #235
yellow_snocone
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Ya since your fondation is setup already you just need to build around it. Honestly working within the factory built confines is going to be limiting at some level for good angles but I believe it should be quite possible.

Chester TJ build

2014 JF RUBICON TRIP
Unread 11-27-2012, 11:41 AM   #236
qcfire
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I don't know if I should thank you or cuss you, but after seeing your thread I decided to change my build plan! I like the look of your Jeep a lot. Thanks for the photos and posts.
qcfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2012, 12:37 PM   #237
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcfire View Post
I don't know if I should thank you or cuss you, but after seeing your thread I decided to change my build plan! I like the look of your Jeep a lot. Thanks for the photos and posts.
Haha, I feel the same way when I read about other jeeps. There's always something done just a little different that I like.
Unread 11-27-2012, 03:23 PM   #238
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Finally have to admit winter is here. Winter mode activated. This may be this tops last season...... that rear window was a pain to zip!

Ok so here's the plan. Order two 1" JJ's, two 1" tube adapters and four 1.25" tube adapters. Snow wheeling this Saturday!!! Tear down next Tuesday when my brackets arrive, and reassembly throughout the week / weeks..... depending on how everything goes. Goal to be ready for our annual Snow wheeling trip on New years day.

Unread 11-27-2012, 04:55 PM   #239
yellow_snocone
2003 TJ Wrangler 

The jeep is looking awesome

Chester TJ build

2014 JF RUBICON TRIP
Unread 11-27-2012, 08:04 PM   #240
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The jeep is looking awesome
X2 , one of the few Cloaked rigs I love .

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.