Nate's 2002 TJ, simple but effective.... - Page 154 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Nate's 2002 TJ, simple but effective....

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Reply
Unread 08-22-2013, 09:38 PM   #2296
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..
 
gst95dsm's Avatar
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fresno CA
Posts: 4,267
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/motor...cks-499-a.html

This one looks the most promising and I "get" how it works now.... but even this guy has gotten flaky over the years. Uhg... this is just something I want to consider before I order a driveline. I know this will make my Driveline very short again..... maybe to short so I'll have to measure before I get my hopes up.

__________________
My Build Thread
gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2013, 09:40 PM   #2297
dayriesw
Web Wheeler
 
dayriesw's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 5,387
If I could, a 231/d300 would be a nice setup. Put a 4.1 in the 300 and have 1:1, 1:2.7, 1:4, and 1:11(ish) and have the front or rear dig ability. Or just use a 241 front half for 4:1. Just remember any doubler will be a couple inches longer than your stock tcase.
__________________
Impact Orange LJ - DD...sitting low, flat bottomed, fully armored and locked on 37s - the build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/i...ge-lj-1173119/

Jeep-Owner.com
LouisianaOffroad.com
dayriesw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2013, 09:45 PM   #2298
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..
 
gst95dsm's Avatar
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fresno CA
Posts: 4,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw View Post
If I could, a 231/d300 would be a nice setup. Put a 4.1 in the 300 and have 1:1, 1:2.7, 1:4, and 1:11(ish) and have the front or rear dig ability. Or just use a 241 front half for 4:1. Just remember any doubler will be a couple inches longer than your stock tcase.
Yeah the 300 is cool because it ends up being VERY close to the regular length of a 231... but would be more work. A double 231, using my Tera low in the back box would be pretty sweet. But a full 7 inches longer... eek!

Most likely just sticking with what I have.... just thinking out loud.
__________________
My Build Thread
gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2013, 09:51 PM   #2299
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..
 
gst95dsm's Avatar
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fresno CA
Posts: 4,267
Got the front end up cleaned up again. It's not surgical like when I did the ball joints... but it's pretty clean again!



Got one rock slider done, took care of some Helldorado and Chocolate Thunder scratches,





And now I have to focus on the cage.... it took a little beating on Helldorado, I dread painting it because I know it's going to turn into a complete re-paint and not just a touch up. I hate painting tubing! Maybe I'll leave it for a conversation piece.

__________________
My Build Thread
gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2013, 09:54 PM   #2300
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: ontario, Cali
Posts: 6,631
In the long run a swap to a nv3500 or a ax15 is better, stronger trans with a lower 1 st gear. Then you can run a rubicon transfer case.
AX5 isn't a very strong trans so somewhere along the line it's gonna give up, then you are stuck with either upgrading to something better with a 23 spline output so you have better transfercase choices or you blow a wad of cash on another weak transmission and hope the terra crap doesn't die after that.
Anyway I am happy with this stat on the left is with the original 5 speed, stat on the right is with the 6 speed I swapped in



This one is a comparison of a 4 banger TJ with 4.88 gears and a terralo and 35" tires on the left and the same TJ with 33" tires, 4.56 gears and a stock np 231



Jeep is looking good Nate, while tinkering a flip kit for the left knuckle isn't a terribly bad idea, gives a lil more tierod clearance and it's a cheap mod
__________________
My Tinkering and wheeling thread http://tinyurl.com/pbwdm5u
aw12345 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2013, 10:01 PM   #2301
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..
 
gst95dsm's Avatar
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fresno CA
Posts: 4,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
In the long run a swap to a nv3500 or a ax15 is better, stronger trans with a lower 1 st gear. Then you can run a rubicon transfer case.
AX5 isn't a very strong trans so somewhere along the line it's gonna give up, then you are stuck with either upgrading to something better with a 23 spline output so you have better transfercase choices or you blow a wad of cash on another weak transmission and hope the terra crap doesn't die after that.
Anyway I am happy with this stat on the left is with the original 5 speed, stat on the right is with the 6 speed I swapped in



This one is a comparison of a 4 banger TJ with 4.88 gears and a terralo and 35" tires on the left and the same TJ with 33" tires, 4.56 gears and a stock np 231

I hear ya Art, and I know what you're saying is true.... but me being me... and realizing that my AX-5 has served me well for the last 6 years, and about 50k (95k on the jeep total), and more wheeling trips than I can remember would cause me to not have ANY problem buying another if this one decides to kick the bucket. Honestly the dang thing has never skipped a beat so I think it's going to live a long time. If I drastically change my wheeling style, or intentions then I'll definitely be looking for an upgrade. And the difference in 1st gear ratio would be nice, but not nice enough to spend all that money on a new trans. AND T-case.
__________________
My Build Thread
gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2013, 10:21 PM   #2302
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler
 
bobthetj03's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Lake County, Ca.
Posts: 4,957
Voice of reason: Isn't enough, enough! At what point do you say " screw it, time to build a buggy!" Tera low, stretch, 35's, How much more "built" does it need to be? Just sayin!
__________________
Bob's boring build:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003

www.norcal-jeeps.com
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2013, 10:28 PM   #2303
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..
 
gst95dsm's Avatar
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fresno CA
Posts: 4,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthetj03 View Post
Voice of reason: Isn't enough, enough! At what point do you say " screw it, time to build a buggy!" Tera low, stretch, 35's, How much more "built" does it need to be? Just sayin!
Shoot according to some this is all just baby food. Maybe I'll save myself some time and money and buy a stock 4cyl TJ to park next to mine so I can remember just how far it's come. I love seeing them on factory sized 205/75r15. I literally think they are cute.

You are right though.
__________________
My Build Thread
gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2013, 10:40 PM   #2304
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..
 
gst95dsm's Avatar
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fresno CA
Posts: 4,267
Check my awesome flex back in 2007 after installing my disconnects and unhooking my sway bar for the first time.

__________________
My Build Thread
gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2013, 12:30 AM   #2305
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: ontario, Cali
Posts: 6,631
The day I bought it brand spanking new



Here ya go 3 months after I got it of the dealers lot, bought it brand spanking new in 2006



Here is the first offroad outing, which started the disease



Which quickly escalated, which led to this.



They are so cute when they are still little
__________________
My Tinkering and wheeling thread http://tinyurl.com/pbwdm5u
aw12345 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2013, 09:55 AM   #2306
yellow_snocone
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Holloman AFB, NM
Posts: 1,465
Nate I have a friend selling a flipped 300. Here are the details:

John Filbert
Recently rebuilt, Flipped dana 300, with DEO flip kit, Advance Adapters (Atlas) TJ style twin sticks, Tera low 4:1 gears, terra low Heavy duty output shaft/tail housing, 1410 u-bolt rear yoke, 1310 front u-bolt style yoke. Pretty much an Atlas II for $1200 less. This was bolted in a TJ (no adapter necessary) $1600 In Alamogordo

Let me know if your interested and I'll give him a heads up.
__________________
Military Jeepers
S.W. New Mexico region

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/chesters-tj-build-1420405/"][COLOR="Green"]Chester TJ build[/COLOR][/URL]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f330/rubicon-trail-august-9th-11th-2014-a-1550022/"][COLOR="Blue"]2014 JF RUBICON TRIP[/COLOR][/URL]
yellow_snocone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2013, 10:15 AM   #2307
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..
 
gst95dsm's Avatar
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fresno CA
Posts: 4,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
The day I bought it brand spanking new



Here ya go 3 months after I got it of the dealers lot, bought it brand spanking new in 2006



Here is the first offroad outing, which started the disease



Which quickly escalated, which led to this.



They are so cute when they are still little
See Art... having the time of your life on those little tires! Haha... that's cool though that you bought it brand new. I wish I had, mine.
__________________
My Build Thread
gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2013, 10:18 AM   #2308
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..
 
gst95dsm's Avatar
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fresno CA
Posts: 4,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow_snocone View Post
Nate I have a friend selling a flipped 300. Here are the details:

John Filbert
Recently rebuilt, Flipped dana 300, with DEO flip kit, Advance Adapters (Atlas) TJ style twin sticks, Tera low 4:1 gears, terra low Heavy duty output shaft/tail housing, 1410 u-bolt rear yoke, 1310 front u-bolt style yoke. Pretty much an Atlas II for $1200 less. This was bolted in a TJ (no adapter necessary) $1600 In Alamogordo

Let me know if your interested and I'll give him a heads up.
Thanks Kyle but no thanks. That wouldn't be any improvement over what I Have now really as far as ratio. I was only bringing up the doubler stuff because I already have an extra 231, and with the doubler kit's being in the $500 range, that would be a massive improvement for the money, if I could get one and I had the space for it. Sounds like a good T-case for you though buddy!
__________________
My Build Thread
gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2013, 10:34 AM   #2309
IEcrawlerTJ01
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: lake elsinore, southern california
Posts: 1,195
Not to mention flipped 300's are a ***** to seal and they for the most part constantly leak
__________________
[CENTER]SAVVY,CURRIE,GOODYEAR

Nuff said...[/CENTER]
IEcrawlerTJ01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2013, 12:52 PM   #2310
yellow_snocone
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Holloman AFB, NM
Posts: 1,465
I have considered it but with that price tag it may be out of range for me at the moment
__________________
Military Jeepers
S.W. New Mexico region

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/chesters-tj-build-1420405/"][COLOR="Green"]Chester TJ build[/COLOR][/URL]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f330/rubicon-trail-august-9th-11th-2014-a-1550022/"][COLOR="Blue"]2014 JF RUBICON TRIP[/COLOR][/URL]
yellow_snocone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.