Nate's 2002 TJ, simple but effective.... - Page 153 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Nate's 2002 TJ, simple but effective....

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 08-19-2013, 12:02 PM   #2281
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryTJ View Post
I dont recall any photos of what you did to address the rear body mounts on the crossmember
Which one's Lu? The rear most ones I made a 3/16's plate that's welded to the backside of the rear bumper / crossmember and to the frame. Very simple. The crossmember above the coils buckets is one small detail I'm still working on. There's not enough room to fit the factory rubber bumper thingie, so I think I'm going to try and cut one in half. That's really the only thing I didn't quite measure out properly. I should have recessed that crossmember down another 1/2 inch. Oh well I'll have to work around it now.

Unread 08-19-2013, 06:18 PM   #2282
AngryTJ
Dreamin of Moab

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I was referring to the one under the tub above the coil bucket.
AngryTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 08:01 PM   #2283
Bigdude408
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Good reading, I've been reading whenever I could yesterday, and today. I'm only on page 50 but I figured by now I know you well enough to say hi!

1st off, like everyone said, what a clean rig! I love the white on metal
You have some beautiful trails around you, puts to shame the mud and creek beds we run over here in wv.
I have the same relationship with my jeep, it's part of the family, my 2 boys and girl love hitting the trails with me, we even made a overnighter for the first time last weekend.
I've started playing around with my old mans mig welder, One day ill get better. Lol

I'm really thinking about keeping my 4banger and 35 now too, although we have completely different trails here, I'm usually pretty easy on it. Just our rocks usually have moss growing on it.

I'm looking forward to reading the rest of your build. It's getting good!
Bigdude408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 08:34 PM   #2284
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I was referring to the one under the tub above the coil bucket.
I got it sorted out today, I was able to get half a stock body mount bushing in there, should be fine. I was surprised the holes even actually lined up! Haha.

I also was able to get the muffler hanger tweeked out enough to connect to the exhaust pipe without cutting and rewelding it. Pretty happy about that.

The last small stretch related detail is to get the fuel, vent, and brake line secured to the frame neatly. I think ill have to wait for the tank though since I don't really know how they'll sit when hooked up.

Next real focus is going to be some clean up and painting on the front end and sliders and cage fixing scrapes from Moab and JV. I want to roll out with a clean rig when everything is all said and done!
Unread 08-19-2013, 08:39 PM   #2285
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdude408 View Post
Good reading, I've been reading whenever I could yesterday, and today. I'm only on page 50 but I figured by now I know you well enough to say hi!

1st off, like everyone said, what a clean rig! I love the white on metal
You have some beautiful trails around you, puts to shame the mud and creek beds we run over here in wv.
I have the same relationship with my jeep, it's part of the family, my 2 boys and girl love hitting the trails with me, we even made a overnighter for the first time last weekend.
I've started playing around with my old mans mig welder, One day ill get better. Lol

I'm really thinking about keeping my 4banger and 35 now too, although we have completely different trails here, I'm usually pretty easy on it. Just our rocks usually have moss growing on it.

I'm looking forward to reading the rest of your build. It's getting good!
Hey thanks man! I really appreciate anyone who takes the time to read my thread. And I hope it helps someone out along the way.
Unread 08-19-2013, 10:40 PM   #2286
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Couple of photos for reference... The holes for the body mounts weren't centered because the channel keyed into the top of the coil buckets so nicely I didn't want to move it (at the time I wasn't thinking about the rubber bushing needing to fit in the channel) so I also had to cut a bit off the bottom rubber thing. For anyone following in my footsteps figure out another way to measure for this crossmember. I got it close, but I measured with the tub sitting loosely on the frame.... and didn't realize how much space you loose by tightening down the body mounts. That ate up most of the space I allowed for the rubber bushings above the crossmember. I can't think of any problems with this, but would have liked to have been able to use the entire factory body mount bushing just for the sake of build cleanliness.

Here is the exhaust hanging nicely by the factory hanger. It's actually hanging nicer than it was before. This is one area not triangulating the uppers is nice. Plenty of room for the muffler.

Unread 08-20-2013, 12:48 PM   #2287
Holaday
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Looks awesome! Wish I would have stretched mine when it was all apart.

Here is how I mixed gear hauling and spare in the back. I ended up putting 2x4s around the side, but it works pretty darn good for under $10.00
Holaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 02:30 PM   #2288
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holaday View Post
Looks awesome! Wish I would have stretched mine when it was all apart.

Here is how I mixed gear hauling and spare in the back. I ended up putting 2x4s around the side, but it works pretty darn good for under $10.00
Thanks man, I really like your rig as well!

A 35 just fits perfect back there. Nice.
Unread 08-22-2013, 10:45 AM   #2289
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Anyone know of any NP231 doublers currently in production? I can find lots of old info. And offerings but it seems like all of those companies have folded up or become very hard to get ahold of. Mostly on pirate...
Unread 08-22-2013, 03:44 PM   #2290
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

mad rooster, these guys and there is 1 more. Cant remember now but...

https://froehlichsuspension.3dcartst...pter_p_14.html
Unread 08-22-2013, 04:24 PM   #2291
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

I wish I could find some actual installation photos or anyone in the world who actually has one of these. The only thread I could find from the website you listed was on NAXJA... and the guy never got his parts and had to wait 6 months for a refund. Damn.
Unread 08-22-2013, 05:31 PM   #2292
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
I wish I could find some actual installation photos or anyone in the world who actually has one of these. The only thread I could find from the website you listed was on NAXJA... and the guy never got his parts and had to wait 6 months for a refund. Damn.
Thats not a good sign ... send me the money instead and I will mail you an empty box .
Unread 08-22-2013, 07:56 PM   #2293
aw12345
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
Anyone know of any NP231 doublers currently in production? I can find lots of old info. And offerings but it seems like all of those companies have folded up or become very hard to get ahold of. Mostly on pirate...
If you want a doubler go find a klune that will mate to your trans and transfercase, not a lot of stuff made for 21 spline transmission outputshafts. If you find a klune don't fall for the Dana 20 transfercase, those things don't hold up to well to some rock loving abuse.
Truthfully your best bet is a trans conversion and a rubicon transfercase, will be cheaper in the long run, better crawl ratio and sure as heck proven to be very durable.
Unread 08-22-2013, 08:17 PM   #2294
AngryTJ
Dreamin of Moab

2005 TJ Wrangler 

forgive my lack of knowledge on this topic but whats the purpose of a doubler? Are you not happy with the teralow?
AngryTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 08:32 PM   #2295
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Thats not a good sign ... send me the money instead and I will mail you an empty box .
Might as well it appears. A double 231 would be pimpin though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
If you want a doubler go find a klune that will mate to your trans and transfercase, not a lot of stuff made for 21 spline transmission outputshafts. If you find a klune don't fall for the Dana 20 transfercase, those things don't hold up to well to some rock loving abuse.
Truthfully your best bet is a trans conversion and a rubicon transfercase, will be cheaper in the long run, better crawl ratio and sure as heck proven to be very durable.
I'm good with my Tera if I'm stuck with 4:1. It's only when I have to try and keep up with your crazy *** that it annoys me!

Quote:
forgive my lack of knowledge on this topic but whats the purpose of a doubler? Are you not happy with the teralow?
I'm happy with the teralow compared to a stock T-case. But over here.... being able to go even deeper only helps. With a doubler, you basically run 2 transfer cases, and the front case will "double" the effective gear reduction, what that means is that when in Low - Low..... you have a crawl ratio well into the 100's. You can also select High - Low, High - High.... so you have a lot of gear selection.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.