Nate's 2002 TJ, simple but effective.... - Page 15 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Nate's 2002 TJ, simple but effective....

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 11-12-2012, 10:16 PM   #211
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post

That is hands down nice looking work , I hope mine is as clean when its done .

What springs are you going to run ? Savvys ? OME ??
Thanks Beasley!! I do feel my confidence growing with my metal work, Savvy 3" I think will be perfecto. We'll see... I've actually got a lot of decision making to do. Outboarding the rear shocks sets the tone for the quite a few things, and after it's done it's really gonna be hard to change anything. Lift height, shock length, up/down travel, wheel base.... etc. I'm also limited now..... but at least my frame isn't cut. I'm not getting cold feet.... I just want to clearly understand the ramifications of such a permanent frame modification.

gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2012, 10:45 PM   #212
yellow_snocone
Web Wheeler
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Awesome looking Jeep and Tow rig. I'm going to be rewelding my coil buckets and outboard the rear next year. I'll be watching for more

Chester TJ build

2014 JF RUBICON TRIP
yellow_snocone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2012, 09:25 AM   #213
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow_snocone View Post
Awesome looking Jeep and Tow rig. I'm going to be rewelding my coil buckets and outboard the rear next year. I'll be watching for more
Thanks man!
Unread 11-13-2012, 08:30 PM   #214
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
I'm not getting cold feet.... I just want to clearly understand the ramifications of such a permanent frame modification.
I think thats an ideal way of saying it . Whats cut cant be uncut , with that said I am glad your the guinea pig
Unread 11-14-2012, 08:07 AM   #215
yellow_snocone
Web Wheeler
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I say do it. Nothing but good can come of it right

Chester TJ build

2014 JF RUBICON TRIP
Unread 11-16-2012, 09:47 PM   #216
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

It's time to make some decisions. After getting a good look at my rear suspension while modifying my coil buckets I've decided it's just not that well set up. It seems to work fine, and doesn't give me any issues wheeling but there's just a lot of bind and on paper very poor geometry. I still stand behind the R/C long arm upgrade as a GOOD stepping stone into something other than short arm suspension and an awesome choice for someone who doesn't weld and wants to install the kit themselves and get away from short arms. Having said that..... I think I'm ready to ditch that rear track bar, gain back some belly clearance and also try out a 3 link front instead of the radius arms (which have been nothing but great to me). I'm just simply curious to feel the difference between the two at this point. I'm heavily leaning towards this clayton set up... it seems to be some good stuff, and the price is within my budget. I just got to get past the "why do it, it's fine" stage.... and just do it! Looks pretty cool to me!

http://claytonoffroad.com/product_in...roducts_id/355
Unread 11-16-2012, 09:51 PM   #217
yellow_snocone
Web Wheeler
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I've heard nothing but good things about Claytons 3 link kit. Simple and well built

Chester TJ build

2014 JF RUBICON TRIP
Unread 11-16-2012, 10:02 PM   #218
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Do you plan on going bigger than 35s ? Do you need a long arm , or do you want a long arm ? Clayton makes nice stuff , but with a little planning you can make your own rear suspension for less money . With that said I am staying on short arms unless the rear leaf spring bug bites me .
Unread 11-16-2012, 10:18 PM   #219
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Do you plan on going bigger than 35s ? Do you need a long arm , or do you want a long arm ? Clayton makes nice stuff , but with a little planning you can make your own rear suspension for less money . With that said I am staying on short arms unless the rear leaf spring bug bites me .
You are reading my mind Beasley.... I'm sitting here thinking it out. I just know I'd like to triangulate the uppers and 3 link the front..... At this point I just don't know how "long" of an arm I really need. Pricing everything out gets pretty crazy... It's at least $500 in JJ's. at least $500 in nice pre-bent and welded brackets (synergy are cool), then a 4 link truss (??Running a dana35 here!)... a 3 link bridge, Link material, bungs, jam nuts, misc. hardware. Clayton's shipped price of 1700 becomes pretty attractive just for simple one click it will take to handle all of that! We shall see.... maybe I just leave it!
Unread 11-16-2012, 10:19 PM   #220
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Oh and 35's at this point in time are still just fine for me. NO plans for bigger tires or longer wheel base. It could happen in the future, but not even on my radar.
Unread 11-16-2012, 10:22 PM   #221
yellow_snocone
Web Wheeler
2003 TJ Wrangler 

If its in the future I would plan to allow it for easier work when you do go bigger and longer. G Beasley is right you can build a nice setup for alot cheaper and more to your needs with room for future upgrades.

Chester TJ build

2014 JF RUBICON TRIP
Unread 11-16-2012, 10:49 PM   #222
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
If its in the future I would plan to allow it for easier work when you do go bigger and longer. G Beasley is right you can build a nice setup for alot cheaper and more to your needs with room for future upgrades.
I thought the same thing.... it's not until you start adding it up that you realize it's just not going to be "a lot" cheaper. It could be cheaper.... and better catered to my needs though. It's just how much piecing together, research, and possible trial and error do I want to go through.

JJ's ($550 for 14 of them)
Frame side link brackets ($500) This includes both upper and lower, front and rear.
Link material ($100) rough estimate here as I've never bought any .250
Bungs x14 ($100ish) maybe more??
4 link truss ($200) could be a little more... or less depending on what one I go with.
3 link bridge or another mounting solution for front upper link ($150)
Jam nuts x14 ($45)
Misc. grade 8 hardware ($50)

Yikes... that's $1695 not even trying..... I guess cheaper brackets are out there, and I could try my hand at fabbing some of it. But it adds up quick!

Unread 11-16-2012, 11:29 PM   #223
yellow_snocone
Web Wheeler
2003 TJ Wrangler 

You can go to Artec for all your truss needs as well as brackets. And try a site that can cover all your CA needs. I had a good site bookmarked but deleted it when I got my arms.
Makes it easier

Chester TJ build

2014 JF RUBICON TRIP
Unread 11-17-2012, 08:26 AM   #224
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You can go to Artec for all your truss needs as well as brackets. And try a site that can cover all your CA needs. I had a good site bookmarked but deleted it when I got my arms.
Makes it easier
Thanks, I forgot about Artec! I'll start putting together a parts list... and figure out what makes the most sense.
Unread 11-18-2012, 09:39 PM   #225
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Here's my parts list so far..... yikes! Just missing tubing and bolts... and the 3 link bridge from Clayton. I've got to trim some fat off it, but it's all the really neat stuff! After seeing all this.... the other trusses and brackets out there just don't measure up! I'm now leaning towards.... I hate to even use this term, a "MID ARM" set up. Using 1.75 .250 for links.

I need my front links shorter in order to run a higher clearance bracket like the Synergy. If I were to run the same length long arm I have now, at my lift height / bump stop amount.... the lowers would hit the frame. Right now they barely miss.

I hope this plan actually happens. Just have to start ordering I guess.

Items

Synergy Suspension Universal Rear Axle Truss

$275.00 x = $275.00

Update

Delete item

Synergy Suspension Universal 4-Link Frame Mount Brackets

$265.00 x = $265.00

Update

Delete item

Synergy Suspension Universal 3-Link Frame Mount Brackets

$235.00 x = $235.00

Update

Delete item

Forged Johnny JointsŪ

Selected options:
Joint Size: 1"
Thread Direction: Right Hand Thread
Add Tube Adapter: [PPM-3610-12]
Jam Nut: 1"-14 RH [FKB-SJNR16-1]

$62.95 x = $440.65

Update

Delete item

Edit options
Forged Johnny JointsŪ

Selected options:
Joint Size: 1"
Thread Direction: Left Hand Thread
Add Tube Adapter: [PPM-3610-12]
Jam Nut: 1"-14 LH [FKB-SJNL16-1]

$62.95 x = $440.65

Update

Delete item

Edit options

Subtotal:
$1656.30
Shipping:
$52.05
California Sales Tax 7.75%:
$128.36

Total:
$1836.71

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.