Nate's 2002 TJ, simple but effective.... - Page 140 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Nate's 2002 TJ, simple but effective....

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 08-03-2013, 12:00 AM   #2086
cobrascotty
2013 JK Wrangler 

how does it ride

cobrascotty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2013, 12:08 AM   #2087
cobrascotty
2013 JK Wrangler 

looking to build my jeep
cobrascotty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2013, 12:17 AM   #2088
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Enough said

helldorado59 by aartjestaartje, on Flickr

helldorado60 by aartjestaartje, on Flickr
Unread 08-03-2013, 12:37 AM   #2089
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrascotty View Post
looking to build my jeep
Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
Enough said

helldorado59 by aartjestaartje, on Flickr

helldorado60 by aartjestaartje, on Flickr
Haha! Love those pics Art! It ride's good buddy, It's nothin special, just a cobbled together little crawler I been messing around with for the last 6 years or so.
Unread 08-03-2013, 03:36 AM   #2090
gspup
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I can't see the d35 in the pic...
Unread 08-03-2013, 06:10 AM   #2091
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

You can buy longer blades for the jig saw too to reach through the 4".

"Evolution through carnage, the Jeep will keep what it needs."
Danno6102 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2013, 09:17 AM   #2092
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspup View Post
I can't see the d35 in the pic...
It's that little twig holding the rear wheels on... hard to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno6102 View Post
You can buy longer blades for the jig saw too to reach through the 4".
I'm gonna check it out! The less time I spend with the grinder the better. It's become my best friend lately.
Unread 08-03-2013, 01:50 PM   #2093
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Well the sparks are flying.... getting the frame welded up. Everything is going OK so far.

I find the vertical welding a bit tough, especially on something like this that I'm trying to burn in slow and heavy, dang gravity.

What frame extension????

Unread 08-03-2013, 06:45 PM   #2094
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Well I'm happy to say my frame is officially extended. I ground the outside welds nice and smooth for a nice appearance but just cleaned up the inside of the frame. No sense in spending the time grinding all that perfectly smooth. It looks pretty good. Attention to detail was about a medium +. I was having a porosity issue with my welder. I still don't know whats wrong but I had to turn up my shielding gas way higher than normal to cure it. That caused some issues, and some extra grinding to redo some welding, which in turn caused less time spent on the minor details. All in all, I think it came out pretty legit.

Wow, I just looked at the time........ this day FLEW by! I'm still going to get the temp. crossmember in today, and cut off the back of the frame. I can't wait to see it without that section hanging off the back.

Unread 08-03-2013, 06:55 PM   #2095
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
Well I'm happy to say my frame is officially extended. I ground the outside welds nice and smooth for a nice appearance but just cleaned up the inside of the frame. No sense in spending the time grinding all that perfectly smooth. It looks pretty good. Attention to detail was about a medium +. I was having a porosity issue with my welder. I still don't know whats wrong but I had to turn up my shielding gas way higher than normal to cure it. That caused some issues, and some extra grinding to redo some welding, which in turn caused less time spent on the minor details. All in all, I think it came out pretty legit.

Wow, I just looked at the time........ this day FLEW by! I'm still going to get the temp. crossmember in today, and cut off the back of the frame. I can't wait to see it without that section hanging off the back.

\
Tip to far away from the weld will do that.
Looks purty. Did you jockey the fuel tank under there so you can figure out what to do with the @ss end?

While you are cutting , welding and being creative, raise the body mounts and throw those spacers in the trash.
Unread 08-03-2013, 07:02 PM   #2096
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
\
Tip to far away from the weld will do that.
Looks purty. Did you jockey the fuel tank under there so you can figure out what to do with the @ss end?
Gotta get the tank first, haha. I've got the rear figured out though. I'm just making a simple 2X4 crossmember / bumper, and welding a piece of angle to the inside of it, at the appropriate height for tank mounting just like factory. I made a few measurements before I started that'll come into play now.
Unread 08-03-2013, 09:37 PM   #2097
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Got the temp crossmember in, and cut off the rear. Looks so much better, lol. Got the tub aligned properly finally, damn that thing can move around a TON even with the body mounts snugged up. It was throwing me off. I'm trying to be accurate but the tolerances seem pretty forgiving a 1/4" here or there. I think this thing will probably be more square when I'm done than it was originally, haha---- probably not!

Well I got a little tired of cutting metal so I decided to clean up, and throw the axle under the jeep, I put it up on jack stands as high as I could and lined it up with the bumps. I stuck the wheels on for a visual and some measuring. It was tripping me out how long the wheelbase looks. Looks awesome IMO. It looks like I'll be able to dial in exactly 100" when all is said and done. I needed that motivation of seeing the wheels under it!

Still lots to do, I got my Gen-right fuel bezel in. It's pretty much a piece of crap but will do it's job fine. Just not worth the $35! I've got some Besrk weld through clevis mounts coming on Monday, and I also order my UCF link mounts today when I found out they are having a 15% off sale! So in reality... I could have the axle under the jeep by next Saturday all hooked up. I've got a fair bit of finishing work to do on the corners still, and the rear bumper to make. I hope that by next Saturday I've got a roller. Then just waiting on the tank and driveshaft and we're back in business for a bit. Then the duroflex swap a little later this fall / winter.

Unread 08-03-2013, 11:01 PM   #2098
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Wow amazing work bud. Looks super clean. It'll be so nice dropping that *** end and not smashing the bumper/gas tank everytime.
Moabrubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2013, 11:37 PM   #2099
duc202
1997 TJ Wrangler 

looks fantastic.

question, why did you add a section into the frame to get more of a rear stretch other than going the route the Lou went with getting the gen-right fuel tank and stretch kit?
duc202 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2013, 12:37 AM   #2100
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moabrubi View Post
Wow amazing work bud. Looks super clean. It'll be so nice dropping that *** end and not smashing the bumper/gas tank everytime.
Thanks man, it's coming out pretty good. There are things I could have spent a little more time on or thought out better to save time, but since this is my first time really doing something of this nature, and there's really not much to go on, it's hard to know all the intricate details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duc202 View Post
looks fantastic.

question, why did you add a section into the frame to get more of a rear stretch other than going the route the Lou went with getting the gen-right fuel tank and stretch kit?
IMO it's hard to get more than +4", going Lu's route. The further you move that coil bucket back the frame get's thinner and thinner, or you mount it lower and lower gaining unwanted lift in the process. If you're switching to coil overs, you don't have to worry because you can mount the shock tower back as far as you want, but the coil bucket in relation to the frame will be your limiting factor retaining the coils.

Another reason I chose this route was that I already took the time to outboard my shocks with a pricey Poly kit and did not want to just throw all that work in the trash.

Either way you do it, it's a LOT of work.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.