Nate's 2002 TJ, simple but effective.... - Page 12 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Nate's 2002 TJ, simple but effective....

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 09-04-2012, 10:15 PM   #166
thirdeye
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Siiiiiick! What trail was that?

The cage loogs great man!

Your jeep is so clean man. Love the white TJs

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thirdeyes-second-tj-1816002/
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2012, 10:27 PM   #167
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
Siiiiiick! What trail was that?

The cage loogs great man!

Your jeep is so clean man. Love the white TJs
Thanks Thirdeye!

It's Swamp Lake Trail, this is the second time I've run it this year. It's about 13miles of rocks, rocks, then more rocks. Takes anywhere from 7 to 10 hours to complete depending on how many rigs you have, and how much you stop to BS. A good one to camp on and split into two days. Yesterday was an endurance test...... I took some hard lines and felt that I drove well so I was happy. I took the wife and kid, they were troopers... it was a long dirty dusty day.

Took me hours to clean the jeep up today, touch up all the paint underneath and dust out, vacuum the interior. I'm a sick man.
gst95dsm is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2012, 09:01 PM   #168
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Wrapped up the cage work this evening. A little more grinding, some sanding, some priming, then a little paint and it's all back together. I'm pretty happy with it.

First time I've even folded the windshield down, I was pretty excited.

Ready for some paint...

All painted up, pretty half *** job really on the paint. It's just black though....

Put the soundbar, and bikini top back on.......and washed the whole Jeep..AGAIN... just did it yesterday but it got all dusty from the sanding... oh yeah... here's a tip. Cover your windshield and rear view mirror when you weld near it or it'll get welding slag ALL over it. The mirror is ruined, the windshield responded well to a razor blade...
Unread 09-09-2012, 10:26 PM   #169
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Had a stupid idea today to actually remove my cb rack (cage) to fab up a lower windshield spreader bar. It's a stupid idea because the factory torx bolts are stupidly hard to remove for the first time since the jeep was born. Only 1 really gave me a fight though and I had to drill it out some, then pound an Allen socket in it and it finally gave up. I was WAY off my game today so the fit up of the spreader bar SUCKED bad. I did not account enough for my notch or that the notch was tapered as the A pillar bars angle inward. So I had to fill some gaps while welding. The welding went GREAT compared to welding tube inside the jeep. Being able to flip the work over was awesome! I don't think I'll ever weld inside my jeep again other than tacking unless there is NO other option. I tihnk this will be the final addition to the stock cage. All that's left is some more painting tomorrow and a trip to ace to get some new bolts for the cage. 12 more torx bolts off my Jeep YAY!

I think it's looks neat like this!

I was light on the pics cause things were not really going my way and I was frustrated....

Unread 09-10-2012, 10:57 AM   #170
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Cage looks great to me! Nice job!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2012, 04:40 PM   #171
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Well my windshield spreader bar turned into a real nightmare! Upon re fitting I realized that although I welded my bar in level, the A pillar bars were off 1/2 an inch and square up when you actually put the bolts in to tighten them down to the firewall. This meant I had to cut the bar out again, clean it up and reweld it!!!!!!!!! Holy crap talk about frustration. Then after all that drama the paint started acting up! Spider web cracking in several areas! So I had to spend a bunch of time sanding and painting. It was pretty terrible! Well I finally got to an F-it point with it and said good enough! I got the cage back installed and am calling the project DONE! The kicker is that I don't even like the bar there. I think I should have used 1.5 tubing instead of 1.75 and maybe even cut the plastic in the gauge cluster cover to recess the bar down lower. UHG.... my son got in the jeep (he's 12) and said all he can see is bar now..... good one dad. HAHA! We'll see if I just get used to it. I hear you do.....

Unread 09-11-2012, 04:41 PM   #172
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthetj03 View Post
Cage looks great to me! Nice job!
Thanks man! Right now I HATE the damn thing....
Unread 09-11-2012, 06:09 PM   #173
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
Thanks man! Right now I HATE the damn thing....
Sucks doesnt it ? All that work and to not be happy with it . Sounds like we are a lot alike and we are our own worst critics . I am on the hunt for a stock LJ rear section to begin anew on , the next one will be perfect

Fwiw the cage looks good , and I had the same cracking issues wherever I welded a joint together .
Unread 09-11-2012, 06:58 PM   #174
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Sucks doesnt it ? All that work and to not be happy with it . Sounds like we are a lot alike and we are our own worst critics . I am on the hunt for a stock LJ rear section to begin anew on , the next one will be perfect

Fwiw the cage looks good , and I had the same cracking issues wherever I welded a joint together .
Thanks Beasley, Im at the point right now where I don't even want to look at it for a few days. I've always been my worst critic, sometimes it's good, sometimes it's very annoying. Right now it's annoying!
Unread 09-11-2012, 07:20 PM   #175
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
Thanks Beasley, Im at the point right now where I don't even want to look at it for a few days. I've always been my worst critic, sometimes it's good, sometimes it's very annoying. Right now it's annoying!
My dash bar isnt level , I hate it but I dont notice it as much now . I look forward to bending up a new cage this winter . Hopefully yours will grow on
you and you can beak they cycle .
Unread 09-16-2012, 08:01 AM   #176
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Went wheeling yesterday! Good times on Bald Mountain. Hit all the usual obstacles, V-rock, Hollywood, Posi, Bumper Buster. Had a good time as usual. Nice short day but relaxing. Here's a few pics I thought came out alright.

Posi Hill Sequence... this is a fun spot, you can tell by how the dirt looks and the black on the rocks this is a popular play area. It was very tore up!

The Jeep performed awesome for me. Can't really say I NEED to change anything right now. There's a few "wants" but definately no needs. As this wheeling season winds down I'm going to start putting together my winter plan for some minor tweaks.... rear shock outboard, coil bucket relocate, and maybe new frame side control arm brackets from UCF.
Unread 09-16-2012, 07:55 PM   #177
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Really starting to enjoy my picture collection. For anyone interested in starting their own..... a lot of these are cell phone pics (granted my phone takes good pics) but they are simply uploaded to Costco photo and enlarged to 12x18 for $3!!!. Then I get a 6 dollar frame at Target. So $9 get's you a nice memento of whatever cool pic you get and they look cool hanging in the garage.

Unread 09-16-2012, 08:54 PM   #178
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

That looks like a fun trail , next summer I am going to the Rubicon . Looks like I need to head south when we are done . The Jeep wall is a cool idea too ... stealing that one for sure .

My offseason also inludes an outboard and bucket relocation . At this point I am leaning towards making my own , what route are you going ?
Unread 09-16-2012, 09:12 PM   #179
thirdeye
2004 TJ Wrangler 

That is rad the jeep pic wall.... I have a few in my room, but nothing fancy and framed like that. Just pics printed off the computer.

We need to get our jeeps next to each other for a pic, I think it would look sweet with the black and white theme
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thirdeyes-second-tj-1816002/
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2012, 08:52 AM   #180
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
That looks like a fun trail , next summer I am going to the Rubicon . Looks like I need to head south when we are done . The Jeep wall is a cool idea too ... stealing that one for sure .

My offseason also inludes an outboard and bucket relocation . At this point I am leaning towards making my own , what route are you going ?
Let me know when you're doing to the Rubicon, I might just head that way! Believe it or not I've yet to run it, it's only a few hours away but the politics and drama that surround that trail have kept me from making the effort. I know I need to run it eventually though!

I'm thinking ford towers, they are just so inexpensive and proven I don't see how I can go wrong with them. That and reusing the factory coil buckets makes for a cheap project. The only thing I'm not to sure on is the lower shock mounts, I could make those but I think Poly has that covered for little money also. We'll see....

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
That is rad the jeep pic wall.... I have a few in my room, but nothing fancy and framed like that. Just pics printed off the computer.

We need to get our jeeps next to each other for a pic, I think it would look sweet with the black and white theme
Maybe I'll run into you at Hollister one of these days, or you head out this way and I'll show you around. Just bring a TRAILER! I can only imagine what kind of carnage you'll get into in these rocks over here!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.