Nate's 2002 TJ, simple but effective.... - Page 115 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Nate's 2002 TJ, simple but effective....

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-18-2013, 09:36 PM   #1711
yellow_snocone
2003 TJ Wrangler 

And the part stockpile begins

Chester TJ build

2014 JF RUBICON TRIP
yellow_snocone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 09:58 PM   #1712
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Aha ! I dont know why but I thought you were cutting the tub . When are you starting the chop fest ?
Chop fest is going to be soon.... I know once I get the frame section it's going to be to hard to resist, then I just gotta pout and whine a little bit so I can order the tank. I figure I can get decent money for my savvy skid, even though it's taken a beating so that'll help with the tank purchase.

Switching over to all Duroflex bushings is going to be another big expense, but one that I think will be well worth it. I'm also hoping to be able to save my current frame side link brackets, if I have to destroy them to remove them from the frame that's another considerable expense..... lol. Removing the link brackets is really the only part I dread.
Unread 07-18-2013, 10:06 PM   #1713
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like a fun winter time project! Wow, DF joints? I had you pinned as a hard core JJ fan! Oh wait, I forgot you is "special" ! LOL!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 10:23 PM   #1714
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Duroflex bushings? I thought you already had JJ's all around? Another one bites the dust .
Moabrubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 10:42 PM   #1715
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthetj03 View Post
Sounds like a fun winter time project! Wow, DF joints? I had you pinned as a hard core JJ fan! Oh wait, I forgot you is "special" ! LOL!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moabrubi View Post
Duroflex bushings? I thought you already had JJ's all around? Another one bites the dust .
Nope, I run clevite on one end and R/C X flex joints on the other end. I get plenty of flex, the joints are solid and my Jeep rides very well on the street. I've just grown to dislike typical cartridge type joints, They seem to collect a lot of dirt, won't take grease, are messy and somewhat difficult to disassemble and clean and running one in conjunction with a clevite allows the single joint to easily max out it's flex and the barrel smacks the link bracket with a resulting clank. After putting a lot of thought into the duroflex....... they just make sense to me. I think they'll be a lot cleaner and silent.
Unread 07-18-2013, 11:04 PM   #1716
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
Nope, I run clevite on one end and R/C X flex joints on the other end. I get plenty of flex, the joints are solid and my Jeep rides very well on the street. I've just grown to dislike typical cartridge type joints, They seem to collect a lot of dirt, won't take grease, are messy and somewhat difficult to disassemble and clean and running one in conjunction with a clevite allows the single joint to easily max out it's flex and the barrel smacks the link bracket with a resulting clank. After putting a lot of thought into the duroflex....... they just make sense to me. I think they'll be a lot cleaner and silent.
I just don't buy into the hype of the DF joint . I'll leave it at that though.
Moabrubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 11:47 PM   #1717
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Same here JJ's from Currie have done me right
for the last 6 years
Unread 07-19-2013, 01:41 AM   #1718
IEcrawlerTJ01
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moabrubi

To me. All the duroflex joint is, is hype. And crap. But Your rig, do as you please

I agree with art. JJ are more than proven. I run them everywhere. AND! There cheaper!

Really seems like a no brainer to me

JJ=proven+cheaper!

DF=expensive+who the **** knows!

Just my 2cents

Nuff said...
IEcrawlerTJ01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 05:47 AM   #1719
mcannon111
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I agree with all of the above.. I don't believe in the duroflex joints at all. My friends johnnies have lasted 8 years under his daily driven tj without any slop in any of the joints. I can't see a duroflex joint doing that but i could be wrong.

live in sc? join [COLOR="Blue"]OffroadSC.com[/COLOR]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/silver-bullet-1249782/"][COLOR="Silver"]The Silver Bullet[/COLOR][/URL]
mcannon111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 05:57 AM   #1720
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm

Not stretchin the tub my friend. I'm cutting off 6" in the back of the frame and adding 6" in the front, then reworking the rear crossmember and frame as necessary to mount the GenRight tank and my rear bumper. It should be very stock appearing when all is said and done..... just with a killer departure angle, and 100" wheelbase.
So in essence you are pushing the rear of the tank back 6". How is that helping you departure angle? It will be past the rear of the tub. Unless you end up getting the 9 gal tank, I don't see how the plan is going I work.

I might be interested in your old skid.

A Hokie build

check out my jeepin videos!
jeepinhokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 07:10 AM   #1721
AngryTJ
Dreamin of Moab

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I am also curious how the gas tank situation will be addressed? The genright tanks and your bumper attach to the rear of the frame so will you be shortening the rear to keep everything from coming out the back of the tub?
AngryTJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 09:20 AM   #1722
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinhokie View Post
So in essence you are pushing the rear of the tank back 6". How is that helping you departure angle? It will be past the rear of the tub. Unless you end up getting the 9 gal tank, I don't see how the plan is going I work.

I might be interested in your old skid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryTJ View Post
I am also curious how the gas tank situation will be addressed? The genright tanks and your bumper attach to the rear of the frame so will you be shortening the rear to keep everything from coming out the back of the tub?
I'm getting the 10 gal. Gen Right tank. And yes I'll be cutting off just as much of the rear of the frame as I'm adding to the front of the frame. Once I start it'll become more clear, But the tank will be mounted in the exact same position. Nothing hanging out the back, that would be terrible. It sounds a little strange now, but trust me guys.... i got this!
Unread 07-19-2013, 09:33 AM   #1723
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
Same here JJ's from Currie have done me right
for the last 6 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEcrawlerTJ01 View Post
To me. All the duroflex joint is, is hype. And crap. But Your rig, do as you please

I agree with art. JJ are more than proven. I run them everywhere. AND! There cheaper!

Really seems like a no brainer to me

JJ=proven+cheaper!

DF=expensive+who the **** knows!

Just my 2cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcannon111 View Post
I agree with all of the above.. I don't believe in the duroflex joints at all. My friends johnnies have lasted 8 years under his daily driven tj without any slop in any of the joints. I can't see a duroflex joint doing that but i could be wrong.
I respect all your opinions guys, and yes I know the JJ is a proven joint. I just like the design of the Duroflex joint. I think MetalCloak is a good company and although it could turn out to be an $800 mistake, "!" am willing to take that chance.
Unread 07-19-2013, 09:59 AM   #1724
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

LOL @ all of the Duroflex hate. Pretty sure none of you have ever even used them......go find someone that has used them that's swapped them out for something else.

I'll gladly eat crow if I turn out wrong. But give it 5 years or so and all of you claiming that they're just hype, not durable, etc will be wrong.

JJ's treated me well for a long time and many, many miles.....8 years without wear is SOP for a JJ and shouldn't impress anyone (there's more to this comparison than wear). I wouldn't have swapped them out if I didn't think the replacement would do the same. And I wouldn't be sticking with them if I didn't think they weren't better in some way. Good choice, Nate.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 10:05 AM   #1725
janesy86
Gotta be Fresh

2003 TJ Wrangler 

So far I'm really happy with the MC duroflex joints. Just swapped out the stock arms so no experience with JJ's but the ride is much better since the swap and extremely quiet.

Hylined '03 Rubi Build

Western MA 4x4
janesy86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.