Nate's 2002 TJ, simple but effective.... - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Nate's 2002 TJ, simple but effective....

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 08-25-2012, 05:40 PM   #151
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

I actually thought about leaving the struts out all together since the skid became super rigid after the bends and welding. So I'm not to worried about it although now that you mention it, I should have done that, it would of been easy to do. Maybe next time it's off I'll do it.

gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2012, 05:55 PM   #152
gspup
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Good call on the oil pan skid.

This is what happened to mine a few trips back, freaked me out. Look like it took sone swings from a sledge.

The skid I purchased still needs to be installed. Haha
image-2093774810.jpg  
Unread 08-25-2012, 08:21 PM   #153
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspup View Post
Good call on the oil pan skid.

This is what happened to mine a few trips back, freaked me out. Look like it took sone swings from a sledge.

The skid I purchased still needs to be installed. Haha
Wow that's pretty bad man! It looks like you spun around ON the oil pan... I'm actually very surprised mine has only suffered some scratching and two small shallow dents in all the wheeling I've done. I'm always concerned about it though so I'm glad I've addressed it.
Unread 08-25-2012, 08:27 PM   #154
lobi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

wow your jeep is sweet love everything you have done
lobi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2012, 11:23 PM   #155
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Your welding is getting better . Looks like you could use more heat to get the beads to burn in a little more .

Its a lot easier to weld the flats than the tubing ...
I was on my phone earlier and wasn't able to touch on this comment Beasley. I've got my welder on it's highest power setting, so to get "more heat" I think all I can do is go slower??? I had a buddy over while I was welding up the skid and he's pretty experienced and right off the bat he said I was just simply going to fast. My reasoning for my speed was so as to not have to much build up of filler. I agree that I need to slow down, and maybe pause at the top of my weave in order to flatten out my beads and get more penetration, I'm just having a hard time being patient without feeling like I'm stalling the puddle. More seat time needed......... On the ones I did manage to slow myself down on they looked a lot flatter and deeper, it's just counter intuitive to me. Maybe a slower pace WITH a slower wire speed would work better for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobi View Post
wow your jeep is sweet love everything you have done
Thanks man! I appreciate all comments!
Unread 08-26-2012, 09:26 AM   #156
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Slower speed will equal more concentrated heat , so slowing down will your movement and wire speed will give you better penetration . I find that when I am fabricating I sometimes get in a hurry because I want to get the part fitted up which usually leads to a poor fit . So what I do when I feel like I am rushing is stop , drink some water and clean my helmet . Inevitably this gives me time to think and the part too cool a little ... then I get back to welding
Unread 08-26-2012, 10:21 PM   #157
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Black Magic Johnny Joint Washers

I wasn't even going to document this little project but I was pretty shocked by how badly I had deformed the holes in the lower control arm mounts in my Dana 30. I figured that there's probably a lot of us that haven't really paid much attention to this so a few pictures were in order.... These little buggers can be ordered here http://shop.blackmagicbrakes.com/Joh...ashers_c80.htm. Well worth the $25.

Here are the little buggers...

Now this is where they want to live.... Obviously they aren't going to fit in there. Some filing was in order, quite a bit. It went quickly though and they fit like a glove after a little time.

The drivers side one on the inside was the worst by far but I hadn't decided to take pictures yet... this is pretty bad though.

Now after they are in you want to make sure your mounts aren't so worn that they protrude on the inside.... if they do you'll have to file down the new washer itself. Mine did not protrude to my surprise.

I could tell just by how the bolts felt while tightening them that I was getting a much more secure fastening between joint and mount. The final torque was crisp, I remember in the past feeling like I was compressing the mount.

Thanks Blaine for making these. MUCH needed, I think everyone who has this axle should get these ASAP!
Unread 08-26-2012, 10:25 PM   #158
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Slower speed will equal more concentrated heat , so slowing down will your movement and wire speed will give you better penetration . I find that when I am fabricating I sometimes get in a hurry because I want to get the part fitted up which usually leads to a poor fit . So what I do when I feel like I am rushing is stop , drink some water and clean my helmet . Inevitably this gives me time to think and the part too cool a little ... then I get back to welding
Thanks Beasley, your comments are always appreciated man!
Unread 08-28-2012, 10:55 PM   #159
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Homemade Steering Box Skidplate

Had some free time today and decided to try and hone my metal fab skills a little more by doing another Skid project. I know everyone and their mother makes a steering box skid and I know they are cheap. It's just something that I've never got around to buying so I decided to make one. My design is just like every other one out there. It turned out to be a finicky little sucker to make though without any real bending tools. I'm pretty happy with the results. On to some photos.

Forgot the photos of the cardboard mock up...

Here are my measurements and template transferred onto my metal (3/16ths).

Tada.... becoming a master of the suicide wheel. Not exactly laser quality haha.

This is the hard part of making stuff like this.... scored and bent in a vise

OK...now even I was wondering if I did this.

This is after lots of fitting, grinding, cutting, drilling and what not..... I kept the pictures light. You all know what these look like haha.

Here it is installed, It ended up working out good! It was dark and all my installed photos came out terrible....

Another good day in the garage though making noise and sparks. Couldn't ask for more.
Unread 08-30-2012, 01:04 AM   #160
thirdeye
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Nice! That is sweet steering skid!

Hey are those Lca mount washer things weld on or just a washer?
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thirdeyes-second-tj-1816002/
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2012, 02:41 PM   #161
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Your welds on the steering skid look much better . Are you having trouble going straight ? What kind of helmet are you running ? The reason I ask is when I was running a cheaper helmet I had the same issues . Once I upgraded to a Hobart instant on with the larger viewing area , most of my tracking issues went away because I could see so much better . I got rid of the rest of the tracking issues by using a rest to weld from , I always try to steady my arm on something before I start running the bead .
Unread 08-30-2012, 08:28 PM   #162
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
Nice! That is sweet steering skid!

Hey are those Lca mount washer things weld on or just a washer?
Thanks! And yeah just a washer, no need to weld them on although I guess you could.

Quote:
Your welds on the steering skid look much better . Are you having trouble going straight ? What kind of helmet are you running ? The reason I ask is when I was running a cheaper helmet I had the same issues . Once I upgraded to a Hobart instant on with the larger viewing area , most of my tracking issues went away because I could see so much better . I got rid of the rest of the tracking issues by using a rest to weld from , I always try to steady my arm on something before I start running the bead .
I have noticed some tracking issues, and yes without a rest it's about 200x worse! I was especially proud of the bead I posted a photo of because that was done with no rest. I can see how the bigger view on the better helmets would help a lot also. I will probably upgrade soon. Right now I have the least expensive Hobart helmet and while I think it works good for what it is, it's very basic. I have discovered one thing that's really helping me though. It's looking AHEAD, just glancing ahead of the puddle and down the workpiece to see where I'm at. At first I was just so focused on the puddle's exact position I was losing my way a bit. With beads over 4 or 5 inches, I notice when I have to reposition my arms I get off track also..... I find that annoying! More visibility will help for sure.
Unread 09-04-2012, 11:09 AM   #163
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Wheeled it hard yesterday for the first time since the wheels, skids, rear cage and hood louver. Got a chance to scratch up my wheels a bit finally. Nothing to eventful, the trail is long and hard. The YJ broke a D30 front axle but made it back to the trailer luckily. That cemented my thoughts on getting RCV's as soon as I can. Just a few photos to share.

Ok guess not! Photobucket is being lame. Pics later on.....
Unread 09-04-2012, 01:16 PM   #164
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Unread 09-04-2012, 11:08 PM   #165
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Picked up half a stick of 1 3/4 .120 tubing today to play around with. I decided to make two bars to connect my A and B pillars in the middle to match the B to C bars. This is my first time really fitting and notching tubing so it's good learning! Cutting and notching the bars was pretty easy, I can see why a good notcher would be cool to have though. Way faster and cleaner. I was DETERMINED to make sure my welding went better on these bars than it did last time. It went better but not much! I was smart enough this time though to lay off the trigger and just stitch it together with the intention of grinding it down for cosmetic uniformity.

I was able to fabricate the bars, weld them in and clean up the welds pretty good in 3 hours. Not bad I thought. I just have a little more cleaning up to do on the joints, some sanding and finally paint tommorow. All in all it went well! Sport Cage is done........ well until I decide to build a real one.

Raw materials... did you know they make you buy 10ft. minimum!

First bar being notched....

First bar fitted..... now to copy it.

Pretty good fit up...

Both bars set in place

Looks like it belongs...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.