Nate's 2002 TJ, simple but effective.... - Page 107 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Nate's 2002 TJ, simple but effective....

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Reply
Unread 07-10-2013, 09:51 AM   #1591
mcannon111
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: irmo, sc
Posts: 1,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
Haha, yup. I can't wait to wheel with you someday, HAMMER DOWN!
Haha unfortunate part is i probably won't have to on the west coast. But i would if necessary! Have you thought about changing out rear axles while you are back there 4 linking and stretching? would be a great time to do so. If so I recommend an 8.8 all day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow_snocone View Post
For the XJ mod you get a front driveshaft and have it resizes for your new length with some new u-joints and your good to go . If your sticking to your transfer case as is with no SYE you may be able to use the rear with some slight changes.
Lol have you ever rebuilt a double cardon joint? Its not as easy as plopping them in and done haha. I pulled a front shaft out of an xj with 140k miles and just got it shortened and bolted it in. It will probably need rebuilding in the next 10,000 miles though due to the angle and abuse.

__________________
no doors, no top, no problems

live in sc? join [COLOR="Blue"]OffroadSC.com[/COLOR]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/silver-bullet-1249782/"][COLOR="Silver"]The Silver Bullet[/COLOR][/URL]
mcannon111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 09:56 AM   #1592
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..
 
gst95dsm's Avatar
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fresno CA
Posts: 4,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow_snocone View Post
For the XJ mod you get a front driveshaft and have it resizes for your new length with some new u-joints and your good to go . If your sticking to your transfer case as is with no SYE you may be able to use the rear with some slight changes.
Oh yeah duh, I forgot you mod the front not the rear. Thanks Kyle, that's something to consider to save a few bucks.
__________________
My Build Thread
gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 10:00 AM   #1593
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..
 
gst95dsm's Avatar
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fresno CA
Posts: 4,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcannon111 View Post

Haha unfortunate part is i probably won't have to on the west coast. But i would if necessary! Have you thought about changing out rear axles while you are back there 4 linking and stretching? would be a great time to do so. If so I recommend an 8.8 all day!

Lol have you ever rebuilt a double cardon joint? Its not as easy as plopping them in and done haha. I pulled a front shaft out of an xj with 140k miles and just got it shortened and bolted it in. It will probably need rebuilding in the next 10,000 miles though due to the angle and abuse.
Yeah the rear axle is on my mind also, just another 1500 or so to add to the bill. I may just run my 35 for a other year and just set myself up for an easy bolt in swap, d44 or 8.8 with factory style brackets. I.e., retaining a rear track bar.
__________________
My Build Thread
gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 10:43 AM   #1594
mcannon111
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: irmo, sc
Posts: 1,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
Yeah the rear axle is on my mind also, just another 1500 or so to add to the bill. I may just run my 35 for a other year and just set myself up for an easy bolt in swap, d44 or 8.8 with factory style brackets. I.e., retaining a rear track bar.
Woah dang spending money! haha i have under 400 in my 8.8 from start to finish. But i am still running the factory LSD. Your planning on stretching it and keeping the track bar in there? I wouldn't do that.
__________________
no doors, no top, no problems

live in sc? join [COLOR="Blue"]OffroadSC.com[/COLOR]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/silver-bullet-1249782/"][COLOR="Silver"]The Silver Bullet[/COLOR][/URL]
mcannon111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 10:56 AM   #1595
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..
 
gst95dsm's Avatar
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fresno CA
Posts: 4,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcannon111 View Post

Woah dang spending money! haha i have under 400 in my 8.8 from start to finish. But i am still running the factory LSD. Your planning on stretching it and keeping the track bar in there? I wouldn't do that.
Well, just the locker, gears, and install kit are a 1000. Anyways, I dont really know why people hate the rear track bar, I know it's easier in some ways to eliminate it, but then I'd be trussing the d35, and redoing my exhaust, not to mention completely junking my current link set up. Right now I run a stock track bar, and have never been known to be lacking in flex, or any bad behavior out of the rear end. This is just an example of me being hard headed. When I start my stretch it will become more clear why this is a viable option.... I appreciate your input though.
__________________
My Build Thread
gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 11:00 AM   #1596
clintrivera
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Pacific, Washington
Posts: 2,518
If this is going to be a winter project, I would just constantly scan CL and the local boards for a locked D44 or 8.8 with a 4.88 gearset. More than likely, you can pick one up for significantly less than new parts.
__________________
Project Indecision: A Jeep Addicts 06 LJ

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...ed-lj-1741722/
clintrivera is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 11:37 AM   #1597
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..
 
gst95dsm's Avatar
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fresno CA
Posts: 4,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintrivera View Post
If this is going to be a winter project, I would just constantly scan CL and the local boards for a locked D44 or 8.8 with a 4.88 gearset. More than likely, you can pick one up for significantly less than new parts.
I'm always on the hunt!
__________________
My Build Thread
gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 12:31 PM   #1598
dayriesw
Web Wheeler
 
dayriesw's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 5,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
I'm always on the hunt!
Get me a currie rj60 and I will give you my locked/4.88/yukon shafts and all. I will even come do the swap for you.
__________________
Impact Orange LJ - DD...sitting low, flat bottomed, fully armored and locked on 37s
dayriesw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 12:42 PM   #1599
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..
 
gst95dsm's Avatar
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fresno CA
Posts: 4,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw View Post

Get me a currie rj60 and I will give you my locked/4.88/yukon shafts and all. I will even come do the swap for you.
Haha, what would you need that for? The urban jungle getting rough??
__________________
My Build Thread
gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 12:52 PM   #1600
yellow_snocone
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Holloman AFB, NM
Posts: 1,465
[QUOTE=mcannon111;15661771Lol have you ever rebuilt a double cardon joint? Its not as easy as plopping them in and done haha. I pulled a front shaft out of an xj with 140k miles and just got it shortened and bolted it in. It will probably need rebuilding in the next 10,000 miles though due to the angle and abuse.[/QUOTE]

I say easy loosly Lol. When I did mine it sure was a pain essecially when I found out I had the wrong center bearing. A good amount of patients is needed there.
__________________
Military Jeepers
S.W. New Mexico region

Chester TJ build

2014 JF RUBICON TRIP
yellow_snocone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 12:53 PM   #1601
dayriesw
Web Wheeler
 
dayriesw's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 5,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
Haha, what would you need that for? The urban jungle getting rough??
Hey now.... Just because we don't all go to moab, doesn't mean we don't wheel.
__________________
Impact Orange LJ - DD...sitting low, flat bottomed, fully armored and locked on 37s
dayriesw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 12:55 PM   #1602
yellow_snocone
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Holloman AFB, NM
Posts: 1,465
What type of locker are you shooting for in the rear?
__________________
Military Jeepers
S.W. New Mexico region

Chester TJ build

2014 JF RUBICON TRIP
yellow_snocone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 01:27 PM   #1603
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..
 
gst95dsm's Avatar
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fresno CA
Posts: 4,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw View Post

Hey now.... Just because we don't all go to moab, doesn't mean we don't wheel.
Haha, just messing buddy! I know you're a Wheeler!
__________________
My Build Thread
gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 01:27 PM   #1604
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..
 
gst95dsm's Avatar
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fresno CA
Posts: 4,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow_snocone View Post
What type of locker are you shooting for in the rear?
Detroit.
__________________
My Build Thread
gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 01:40 PM   #1605
gspup
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Demfer, CO
Posts: 2,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
Haha, what would you need that for? The urban jungle getting rough??
__________________
TJ build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/ljs-devil-1329976/
gspup is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.