Nate's 2002 TJ, simple but effective.... - Page 106 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Nate's 2002 TJ, simple but effective....

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Reply
Unread 07-09-2013, 03:33 PM   #1576
AngryTJ
Dreamin of Moab
 
AngryTJ's Avatar
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Orange, CT
Posts: 3,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
Tell me about it! I blame Art, Mike and Lu.... oh and everyone with an LJ.
I blame Mike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthetj03 View Post
it just seems like a ton of work AND downtime for the benefits it may give back.
Its definitely a lot of money the downtown is debatable though. The only reason it took me so long is because a) I dont have a garage b) I used my cousins garage and he lives 45 minutes away and c) I got one day a week to work on it for 3 months until I realized at that pace I wouldnt make the trip.

Nates rig is VERY capable but a stretch does allow much more stability and the ability to try steeper lines. A good example would be Hells gate where a longer wheelbase was very helpful.

Stability alone for me made the stretch worth my time and money. I feel so much safer on tough climbs.

AngryTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 04:09 PM   #1577
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..
 
gst95dsm's Avatar
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fresno CA
Posts: 4,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthetj03 View Post
Actually, that makes a lot of sense! I enjoy working on my heep as well, and like you said, the project would be fun for you, so stretch on my friend!
Wait till you go wheeling with me..... you're next buddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow_snocone View Post
Money is the Debil big time.
It's a funny thing, as I get older I desire more expensive things and am less willing to settle for anything less than what I really want, but I'm also more responsible with my money AND my money seems to go in so many directions it's hard to keep up! Oh well, i'm fortunate to even be able to participate in this hobby at this level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcannon111 View Post
I did my 5.5 inch stretch, 4 link, flat skid, SYE, and outboarding shocks in 4.5 days. I'd say that's not a whole ton of down time I also drive it every day atleast 40 miles. So i had to move quick. So polnt is it isn't alot of downtime on your jeep unless you make it.

When you go to get corners. Order from Moabfab. Bryce up there is the man!! He will do anything you want.
Yeah the Jeep being a somewhat DD will definitely cut the down time to a minimum. I think when it's just a toy the downtime can get pretty long if you lose focus.

Moabfab seems legit! If I need new corners they have my business as of right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryTJ View Post
I blame Mike!

Nates rig is VERY capable but a stretch does allow much more stability and the ability to try steeper lines. A good example would be Hells gate where a longer wheelbase was very helpful.

Stability alone for me made the stretch worth my time and money. I feel so much safer on tough climbs.


Thanks Lu, and yes Hells gate was a perfect example. My line was a little off and I got tippy. I think with a little more wheelbase my sub-par line would have been forgiven. And as we know, getting tippy and not realizing it in time on Hells Gate = A really ****ed up TJ.
gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 07:27 PM   #1578
aw12345
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: ontario, Cali
Posts: 6,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
Wait till you go wheeling with me..... you're next buddy!



It's a funny thing, as I get older I desire more expensive things and am less willing to settle for anything less than what I really want, but I'm also more responsible with my money AND my money seems to go in so many directions it's hard to keep up! Oh well, i'm fortunate to even be able to participate in this hobby at this level.



Yeah the Jeep being a somewhat DD will definitely cut the down time to a minimum. I think when it's just a toy the downtime can get pretty long if you lose focus.

Moabfab seems legit! If I need new corners they have my business as of right now.





Thanks Lu, and yes Hells gate was a perfect example. My line was a little off and I got tippy. I think with a little more wheelbase my sub-par line would have been forgiven. And as we know, getting tippy and not realizing it in time on Hells Gate = A really ****ed up TJ.
Some wheelbase and flex makes hells gate and escalator just a lil put put drive in the park. Then it's on to the car wash and devils highway
__________________
Come Y'all and enter, make this the best contest yet!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/february-tj-month-contest-submit-now-2061065/
aw12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 08:03 PM   #1579
G Beasley
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Eden, NC
Posts: 5,195
Your going to stretch over the winter right ? And if you need a longer non cv driveshaft you can have my LJ Rubi rear for the cost of shipping .
__________________
Free stickers and picture hosting at Jeep-Owner.com
G Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 08:26 PM   #1580
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..
 
gst95dsm's Avatar
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fresno CA
Posts: 4,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Your going to stretch over the winter right ? And if you need a longer non cv driveshaft you can have my LJ Rubi rear for the cost of shipping .
I'm planning to tear down towards the end of September (if I can wait that long). I get my bonus then so I'll have some play money without messing with regular money. haha. And thanks for the driveshaft offer. If I determine that it'll work I'll definitely take you up on that. I think it would be a little long though. You upgraded yours I take it???
gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 08:29 PM   #1581
G Beasley
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Eden, NC
Posts: 5,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
I'm planning to tear down towards the end of September (if I can wait that long). I get my bonus then so I'll have some play money without messing with regular money. haha. And thanks for the driveshaft offer. If I determine that it'll work I'll definitely take you up on that. I think it would be a little long though. You upgraded yours I take it???
I had the guys at carolinadriveline build me a CV rear which left me with the stock rear . If you decide you want it , then its yours .
__________________
Free stickers and picture hosting at Jeep-Owner.com
G Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 08:42 PM   #1582
yellow_snocone
Web Wheeler
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Holloman AFB, NM
Posts: 1,465
I'm going the junkyard route and getting a XJ Driveshaft and having it resized at a local shop.
__________________
Military Jeepers
S.W. New Mexico region

Chester TJ build

2014 JF RUBICON TRIP
yellow_snocone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 09:56 PM   #1583
JJeeper09
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Richmond
Posts: 2,121
I hear you on downtime. I have so many parts collected that I bought last summer that I won't tear into because I'm afraid I can't drive it the next day. I love my jeep and cruising around town
__________________
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/project-do-right-1147962/"][B]Rubicon Build[/B][/URL]
JJeeper09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 05:21 AM   #1584
Danno6102
Web Wheeler
 
Danno6102's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: , Indiana
Posts: 1,543
I'd think you'd want to go up in tire size with 103" wb. You're break over angle is going to be horrendous. When I get around to getting my axles done & stretching/linking mine. I'll be at about 102"-103" & plan on running 37's at a minimum. Would probably go larger if my gearing wouldn't suck balls.
__________________
IndyORV
My Build

"Evolution through carnage, the Jeep will keep what it needs."
Danno6102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 05:50 AM   #1585
mcannon111
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: irmo, sc
Posts: 1,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno6102 View Post
I'd think you'd want to go up in tire size with 103" wb. You're break over angle is going to be horrendous. When I get around to getting my axles done & stretching/linking mine. I'll be at about 102"-103" & plan on running 37's at a minimum. Would probably go larger if my gearing wouldn't suck balls.
It'd be the same as a cherokee. My friends cherokee has the same belly height as me, same axles, same 35 inch km2s. We both go up the same stuff just fine. If you hit your belly, back up and hammer down, it will make it over
__________________
no doors, no top, no problems

live in sc? join [COLOR="Blue"]OffroadSC.com[/COLOR]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/silver-bullet-1249782/"][COLOR="Silver"]The Silver Bullet[/COLOR][/URL]
mcannon111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 06:20 AM   #1586
Danno6102
Web Wheeler
 
Danno6102's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: , Indiana
Posts: 1,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcannon111 View Post
It'd be the same as a cherokee. My friends cherokee has the same belly height as me, same axles, same 35 inch km2s. We both go up the same stuff just fine. If you hit your belly, back up and hammer down, it will make it over
Yea, that's a good point. I guess I was more comparing it to what the TJ would be before the stretch with 35's, to what it would be after. It'll definitely help with the vertical stability though, no matter what the tire size.

When in doubt, throttle out!!
__________________
IndyORV
My Build

"Evolution through carnage, the Jeep will keep what it needs."
Danno6102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 06:24 AM   #1587
Rubicon0311
Trust me, I'm a pilot
 
Rubicon0311's Avatar
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
Posts: 3,316
"Simple but effective....." I think you can remove that portion of the build title
Rubicon0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 08:19 AM   #1588
yellow_snocone
Web Wheeler
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Holloman AFB, NM
Posts: 1,465
"Just plain effective" should be the replacement title
__________________
Military Jeepers
S.W. New Mexico region

Chester TJ build

2014 JF RUBICON TRIP
yellow_snocone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 09:06 AM   #1589
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..
 
gst95dsm's Avatar
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fresno CA
Posts: 4,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
I had the guys at carolinadriveline build me a CV rear which left me with the stock rear . If you decide you want it , then its yours .
Right on, thanks Beasley!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow_snocone View Post
I'm going the junkyard route and getting a XJ Driveshaft and having it resized at a local shop.
I'll have to look into this as well. Is the XJ just a long slip yoke shaft???

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJeeper09 View Post
I hear you on downtime. I have so many parts collected that I bought last summer that I won't tear into because I'm afraid I can't drive it the next day. I love my jeep and cruising around town
That's funny, whenever I get new parts i'm so excited to get them installed I don't even think the UPS truck is off my street before I start working on it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno6102 View Post
I'd think you'd want to go up in tire size with 103" wb. You're break over angle is going to be horrendous. When I get around to getting my axles done & stretching/linking mine. I'll be at about 102"-103" & plan on running 37's at a minimum. Would probably go larger if my gearing wouldn't suck balls.
I was worried about that until I wheeled with a bunch of LJ's on 35's and saw it was a non issue. I do plan on a flat belly instead of my 2" deep skid, so that should help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcannon111 View Post
It'd be the same as a cherokee. My friends cherokee has the same belly height as me, same axles, same 35 inch km2s. We both go up the same stuff just fine. If you hit your belly, back up and hammer down, it will make it over
Haha, yup. I can't wait to wheel with you someday, HAMMER DOWN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno6102 View Post
Yea, that's a good point. I guess I was more comparing it to what the TJ would be before the stretch with 35's, to what it would be after. It'll definitely help with the vertical stability though, no matter what the tire size.

When in doubt, throttle out!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicon0311 View Post
"Simple but effective....." I think you can remove that portion of the build title
Yeah I think only the president can change a thread title, so I'm stuck. I still think it's pretty simple although I have grown to hate the thread title, sounds a little smug to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow_snocone View Post
"Just plain effective" should be the replacement title
Thanks Kyle..... the little TJ runt is an overachiever, I'll give it that.
gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 09:47 AM   #1590
yellow_snocone
Web Wheeler
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Holloman AFB, NM
Posts: 1,465
For the XJ mod you get a front driveshaft and have it resizes for your new length with some new u-joints and your good to go . If your sticking to your transfer case as is with no SYE you may be able to use the rear with some slight changes.
__________________
Military Jeepers
S.W. New Mexico region

Chester TJ build

2014 JF RUBICON TRIP
yellow_snocone is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.