Nate's 2002 TJ, simple but effective.... - Page 105 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Nate's 2002 TJ, simple but effective....

Great prices on seating!--Oconee Off-RoadTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGTJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion Kit

Unread 07-09-2013, 08:55 AM   #1561
clintrivera
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyE View Post
I'll just leave this right here... Adding 15" to my TJ
I did the same thing. Build is in the signature.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...ed-lj-1741722/
clintrivera is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 09:52 AM   #1562
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moabrubi View Post
How big of a stretch are you going for? Personally I think if you are going to do this thing go big or go home. Redo that entire rear suspension and push that axle out there.
I'm planning on 6", Right now I've got it as far back as you can go with a stock tank and I'm at 94.5. Getting to 100" is pretty worthwhile I think. After that I'd like to see the front moved out 3".... I think 103", flat belly, and 35's would make a hell of a climber with great approach and departure angles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow_snocone View Post
I had it in my head you had a SYE with your 4 to 1
I've never needed it Kyle, never any vibes. I'm sorta glad I never did now because I would be buying the driveshaft all over again. It would be nice if the SYE was already done though, that will just be an annoyance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintrivera View Post
Just cut the Jeep in half and stretch it 15" to unlimited length. No need to mess with the rear suspension, no need to run a fuel cell or stretch tank, plus gain a bunch of room.
You did a great job on yours, I plan to stretch my frame in a similar fashion, but I'm going to cut off the end of the frame the same amount I stretch, re work the rear crossmember and NOT stretch the tub. I love what you did, but it's not for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyE View Post
I'll just leave this right here... Adding 15" to my TJ
Haha, Thanks Andy!
gst95dsm is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 11:43 AM   #1563
mcannon111
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Don't bother cutting the frame up. It's not worth it. The stock frame is more than fine for anything less than a 7 or 8 inch stretch. Everyone I know who back halved their tj regretted it until it was done and most will say its not worth the hassle. Worry more about getting decent numbers on the calculator. The calc ain't perfect though so don't spend all day trying to get the perfect squat.

live in sc? join [COLOR="Blue"]OffroadSC.com[/COLOR]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/silver-bullet-1249782/"][COLOR="Silver"]The Silver Bullet[/COLOR][/URL]
mcannon111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 11:52 AM   #1564
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcannon111 View Post
Don't bother cutting the frame up. It's not worth it. The stock frame is more than fine for anything less than a 7 or 8 inch stretch. Everyone I know who back halved their tj regretted it until it was done and most will say its not worth the hassle. Worry more about getting decent numbers on the calculator. The calc ain't perfect though so don't spend all day trying to get the perfect squat.
I'm not back halving though, just cutting the frame, doing an insert, cutting off the back and retaining the rest. I guess it will make more sense once I start, but its relatively simple. Especially if I keep my rear suspension as it is now.
Unread 07-09-2013, 01:48 PM   #1565
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Took the first step in my stretch project...... refilled my gas cylinder for my welder!!! Haha.... I'm also eyeing a piece of frame section from a TJ on Ebay.

I also refilled my 10lb. CO2 tank. I got 6 fills from 7 to 20 at Moab, and I filled my rear truck tires from 10 to 40 once at the Hammers. Pretty good! I love the speed of CO2.

Looking through my photos I thought this one was cool that I hadn't posted yet.

Chocolate Thunder....

Unread 07-09-2013, 01:55 PM   #1566
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

So this "stretch" craze is the latest hole to dump money into? You might as well have a boat! LOL!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003
bobthetj03 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 01:58 PM   #1567
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthetj03 View Post
So this "stretch" craze is the latest hole to dump money into? You might as well have a boat! LOL!
Tell me about it! I blame Art, Mike and Lu.... oh and everyone with an LJ.

I sold my boat two years ago, and my motorcycle last year, this damn Jeep is just taking over.
Unread 07-09-2013, 02:07 PM   #1568
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

You've wheel'd so many cool places already with the setup you have now. Do you think doing a stretch will broaden your horizens that much more to make it worth the $$ and labor? I ask this for the simple reason that I've followed threads like Lu's and others, and it just seems like a ton of work AND downtime for the benefits it may give back. Just thinking outloud here. It's your rig brother, not diss'n the process.

Unread 07-09-2013, 02:10 PM   #1569
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
Took the first step in my stretch project...... refilled my gas cylinder for my welder!!! Haha.... I'm also eyeing a piece of frame section from a TJ on Ebay.

I also refilled my 10lb. CO2 tank. I got 6 fills from 7 to 20 at Moab, and I filled my rear truck tires from 10 to 40 once at the Hammers. Pretty good! I love the speed of CO2.

Looking through my photos I thought this one was cool that I hadn't posted yet.

Chocolate Thunder....
Thats my favorite pic of yours, Nice. I really should head out there one of these days.

I love my CO2 as well! I highly reccomend those monster valves for the CO2, they are twice as fast. People are amazed at how fast I air up/down. It would hurt to drill a hole in those purty racelines though!
Moabrubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 02:20 PM   #1570
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You've wheel'd so many cool places already with the setup you have now. Do you think doing a stretch will broaden your horizens that much more to make it worth the $$ and labor? I ask this for the simple reason that I've followed threads like Lu's and others, and it just seems like a ton of work AND downtime for the benefits it may give back. Just thinking outloud here. It's your rig brother, not diss'n the process.
It's really all about stability while doing steep climbs. As my wheeling progresses I'm getting myself into more and more difficult terrain and really the only time I feel sketchy is on the steep stuff. Getting the wheelbase to 100" should make for a more confidence inspiring experience.

You are 100% correct in that it's a lot of work, and my Jeep takes me some amazing places just as it sits. I like the wrenching almost as much as the wheeling though and the thought of taking on this project and doing it my way really sounds like fun. I think the end result will be well worth the effort, even if my Jeep is still a runt, the time spent in the garage is the best therapy I know of. It's not having the money to buy everything without using credit cards, or pissing off the wife that is worst part.
Unread 07-09-2013, 02:23 PM   #1571
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moabrubi View Post
Thats my favorite pic of yours, Nice. I really should head out there one of these days.

I love my CO2 as well! I highly reccomend those monster valves for the CO2, they are twice as fast. People are amazed at how fast I air up/down. It would hurt to drill a hole in those purty racelines though!
Thanks man! Yeah those monster valves would be sweet!
Unread 07-09-2013, 02:28 PM   #1572
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
It's really all about stability while doing steep climbs. As my wheeling progresses I'm getting myself into more and more difficult terrain and really the only time I feel sketchy is on the steep stuff. Getting the wheelbase to 100" should make for a more confidence inspiring experience.

You are 100% correct in that it's a lot of work, and my Jeep takes me some amazing places just as it sits. I like the wrenching almost as much as the wheeling though and the thought of taking on this project and doing it my way really sounds like fun. I think the end result will be well worth the effort, even if my Jeep is still a runt, the time spent in the garage is the best therapy I know of. It's not having the money to buy everything without using credit cards, or pissing off the wife that is worst part.
Actually, that makes a lot of sense! I enjoy working on my heep as well, and like you said, the project would be fun for you, so stretch on my friend!

Unread 07-09-2013, 02:39 PM   #1573
yellow_snocone
Web Wheeler
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Money is the Debil big time.

Chester TJ build

2014 JF RUBICON TRIP
yellow_snocone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 03:00 PM   #1574
mcannon111
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I did my 5.5 inch stretch, 4 link, flat skid, SYE, and outboarding shocks in 4.5 days. I'd say that's not a whole ton of down time I also drive it every day atleast 40 miles. So i had to move quick. So polnt is it isn't alot of downtime on your jeep unless you make it.

When you go to get corners. Order from Moabfab. Bryce up there is the man!! He will do anything you want.

live in sc? join [COLOR="Blue"]OffroadSC.com[/COLOR]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/silver-bullet-1249782/"][COLOR="Silver"]The Silver Bullet[/COLOR][/URL]
mcannon111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 03:09 PM   #1575
yellow_snocone
Web Wheeler
2003 TJ Wrangler 

So far hes been great with giving me all the things I've asked of him. I love how hes able to show you adjustments so you can get a real picture of how things will look.

Chester TJ build

2014 JF RUBICON TRIP
yellow_snocone is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.