Nate's 2002 TJ, simple but effective.... - Page 10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Nate's 2002 TJ, simple but effective....

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 08-11-2012, 05:11 PM   #136
gspup
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm

Thanks! I just read your trailer build, man that is inspiring! I can see something like that in my future. Maybe a winter project.
Thanks!

Very time consuming but so worth it. If you need any help sourcing parts down the road let me know.

Unread 08-11-2012, 06:26 PM   #137
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Cage looks good .Welding tubing can be tough especially when you get around to the bottom and the puddle starts to droop . Practice will make it a lot easier in the future .
Unread 08-12-2012, 01:41 PM   #138
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by QXj97 View Post
Thats an awesome jeep.
Thanks man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drastiq View Post
badass jeep, glad im not the only one who likes the RC long arms. hahah
I think the RC Long arm upgrade is a good stepping stone for me into a more advanced / tailored to my specific needs suspension link set up. For an off the shelf kit, it has been nothing but good to me. I've said this before but I'll say it again, for the guy looking to get away from short arms, without the ability to weld or the desire to pay someone to weld / install, this is really a good cost effective way to go. Now keep in mind I do NOT have the complete kit so I'm only speaking of the links and mounting brackets.

I've wheeled this set up now on almost everything I ever did with short arms and I can't think of any negative's. Only positives.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gspup View Post
Thanks!

Very time consuming but so worth it. If you need any help sourcing parts down the road let me know.
I appreciate that! You've done some great work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Cage looks good .Welding tubing can be tough especially when you get around to the bottom and the puddle starts to droop . Practice will make it a lot easier in the future .
Thanks! And your telling me... I'm going to buy some tubing and cut it up into a zillion pieces to practice this specific skill, I NEVER want to struggle like that again.....
gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2012, 02:20 PM   #139
Drastiq
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah I only have the "upgrade" kit, mounts and brackets, I have different springs and 11" shocks
Currie, Poison Spyder, OME, Cragar, Smittybilt, Precision, Rustys, Teraflex[/SIZE][/CENTER]
-
[B]SOLD[/B] 1994 YJ, OD Green. 4" RC. 2" BL. 2" SL. 1" MML 35" MTZ.
[B]SOLD[/B] 1998 TJ, Red, Stock, 161k, 5sp, 6cyl.
Drastiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2012, 09:32 AM   #140
jeepinhokie
built not bought

2004 TJ Wrangler 

time for a new picture on the first page.

have you thought about welding the OR-FAB sport spreader bar to the B pilar vice the bolt?

A Hokie build

check out my jeepin videos!
jeepinhokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2012, 09:58 AM   #141
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinhokie View Post
time for a new picture on the first page.

have you thought about welding the OR-FAB sport spreader bar to the B pilar vice the bolt?
Hey you're right... I think I'll wait to take a better new photo. I put the bikini top on yesterday, and it fits NICE with the new bars in the back providing more support. I have thought about welding the OR-FAB bars up, right now my tube welding confidence it really LOW so I don't want to do any more permanent welding until I get some more practice welding the underside of tubing.
Unread 08-13-2012, 10:22 AM   #142
Sgt.Fuzz
2001 TJ Wrangler 

It's been a while since I've checked in on your build. Everything looks killer, especially the Racelines.
Unread 08-13-2012, 10:25 AM   #143
jeepinhokie
built not bought

2004 TJ Wrangler 

almost getting away from the threads namesake. not quite so simple anymore. granted its not as wild as others, but i wouldnt call it simple anymore.

looks good though

A Hokie build

check out my jeepin videos!
jeepinhokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2012, 10:40 AM   #144
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt.Fuzz View Post
It's been a while since I've checked in on your build. Everything looks killer, especially the Racelines.
Thanks Fuzz, just a little toy compared to yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinhokie View Post
almost getting away from the threads namesake. not quite so simple anymore. granted its not as wild as others, but i wouldnt call it simple anymore.

looks good though
Yeah I know, my whole mantra was that it was always going to be "Just what I need to do the trails I want to do", and now I'm buying **** like Aluminum half doors, when I already have half doors, and $1000 wheels..... It's only a matter of time before I get ballsy and want longer wheel base / custom suspension design. Why can't I just like golf....
Unread 08-13-2012, 10:18 PM   #145
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Looking through an old Photobucket album I saw this oldie.... Having the time of my life on "fins and things" in Moab 2008. 31's and a BB.

Unread 08-25-2012, 12:26 PM   #146
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

4cyl. Oil Pan Skidplate

Yesterday I decided to take on fabricating my own Oil Pan Skidplate. As most 4cyl. owners know there aren't many aftermarket options out there for us. And if you take out complete under armor there are basically none. I've wanted to make one for a while, and now that I have my welder it seemed like a good project. My inspiration for my design was the AEV unit sold for the 6cyl. only. So armed with my Hobart 140, suicide wheel, vise and a drill I went at it.

I used 3/16 plate. This was my first time buying plate from an actual metal supplier. That place was AWESOME! And really close to home. I ended up buying a remnant piece @ .75 lb. My piece weighed 39 lbs. and was roughly $28. I used maybe a 5th of it. Oh well plenty for the next project.

Here's how it all started after taking some measurements under the Jeep. Cardboard mock up...

I was pretty happy with this basic design so I transferred it onto my plate. It was nice to only need to make 2 long cuts with my suicide wheel. I can't wait to have a better method to cut metal. I found some new cutting wheels at Depot though that are suuuper thin, and they worked really well.

I had to laugh at myself for buying so much metal, In reality I only needed a 12" by 12" piece. So maybe $5 worth of metal.

So now it was time to transfer my measurements onto the plate and then make my bends. Now I don't have any "real" bending tools besides a vise and hammer so my plan was to "score" the joints on the inside until I could bend them to my liking and then just weld them back solid. It worked better than I thought it would and gave me a nice clean professional look. I was really pleased with these results.

Unread 08-25-2012, 12:41 PM   #147
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

This was the point I could do my first test fit. It was at this time I decided to add the bend to the front.

Now it was time to weld my seams up. I used this as an opportunity to practice some different welding techniques. I knew this would all be hidden so appearance was not important to me on my welds. I was just messing around with speed, angle and motions.

Another test fit, before adding the struts and oil drain cutout.

Used a 1in. hole saw and made a drain cut out. I still think when I change my oil it's gonna make a huge mess in the pan. I may drill and drain hole in it.

There are two unused bolt holes in the block that you can attach support struts to. The driver side one is easy, straight shot up but the passenger side needs a bend and it's tight behind the starter. This took some careful measuring and cutting to get right without slotting the bolt holes in the struts. After a couple tries I got it. It was a good feeling getting all the bolts started and everything lined up.

Struts tacked....

Well here it is after a final test fit, and finish welding on the struts. Ready for paint!

And there it is.....

REALLY pleased with it! Luck was on my side during this project as everything went very smoothly and the end result is something I can be proud of. I also solved a VERY big potential issue for very little money, Maybe $25 of actual material cost, and a day's worth of entertainment in the garage is hard to put a price on!
Unread 08-25-2012, 01:01 PM   #148
lucious
1992 YJ Wrangler 

props. nice. tj.
lucious is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2012, 01:29 PM   #149
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucious View Post
props. nice. tj.
Thanks!
Unread 08-25-2012, 02:26 PM   #150
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Your welding is getting better . Looks like you could use more heat to get the beads to burn in a little more .

Skid turned out great , but the angle of the mount seems like it may try to compress on you if you hit it hard enough . If you have room a few small gussets will keep it from bending out as easily . If you cant go on the inside you could go on the outside like this .

Its a lot easier to weld the flats than the tubing ...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.